Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign D Yegor Zamula to ELC, Sept. 20, 2018; back surgery Jan. 2020, out for season

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Luke Schenn was just a kid who was kind of maxed out by around his draft on top of being a dying breed. After Schenn & others they started looking for guys with his profile who could at least skate well like Tinordi, Oleksiak, Morin, Zadorov, etc. but these past few years even guys like that don’t find themselves in the first round anymore either.

I think Logan Stanley, who Winnipeg took in 2016 after trading for the Flyers pick, is the last really tall dman to go in the first round.

Logan Stanley at eliteprospects.com

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
This is some sort of lengthy news story done in Russian on the legend, Zamula. Hopefully one of our Russian friends like @Caser & @CSKA1974 will stop by and translate or give us any tidbits.

Feel free to tag any of our other Russian friends who might want to see this.

@Stizzle Thank you for a referral.
The video is really nothing earthshaking. Just an introduction of Calgary Hockey to a Russian audience. The reporter's last name is Ovechkin, but he emphatically states that he is not Alex's relative. He goes into a lengthy explanation of Canada love for hockey, teddy bear toss tradition etc. Interview with Egor is rather generic. The only moment that needs to be stressed is Egor's pride with playing for Flyers in pre-season. He said he had received tremendous support from his friends and coaches in Russia. He also mentioned his and his family happiness with ELC.
The funny moment was a little fan interview. He truly enjoys screaming "Zamula!" when Egor scores.

That's about it. For me the biggest highlight was Zamula's goal on PP.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The video is really nothing earthshaking. Just an introduction of Calgary Hockey to a Russian audience. The reporter's last name is Ovechkin, but he emphatically states that he is not Alex's relative. He goes into a lengthy explanation of Canada love for hockey, teddy bear toss tradition etc. Interview with Egor is rather generic. The only moment that needs to be stressed is Egor's pride with playing for Flyers in pre-season. He said he had received tremendous support from his friends and coaches in Russia. He also mentioned his and his family happiness with ELC.
The funny moment was a little fan interview. He truly enjoys screaming "Zamula!" when Egor scores.

Thanks as always, bud. :thumbu:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Cool, thanks! That's what I figured. The little kid wearing the Zamula jersey and yelling his name was great.

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
Just having a guy named Egor in the system makes it worthwhile.
latest

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Draft+1

Zamula 56 points in 60 games
Sanheim 65 pints in 67 games

Hmmm......lol.
System products. Clearly the Hitmen play a style that inflates individual success to the detriment of team winning. Both of those defensemen have gaudy stats, but what has the team won? What are the save percentage numbers of the goalies with these players on and off the ice? QoC - QoT - (+/-) - PPP + (2*PKP) + (1.5*EVP) - CorsiRel + Corsi / TOI + hits - OZS%. Let's see how heavy this guy really plays.

#ObviousHeelTurn

Last edited:

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
And then another for when it gets cut down to 3 feet.

The nickname’s Igor if he goes with the undersized stick.

Maybe Provorov’s nickname should be Igor... He’s got the hunch and some seem resigned to think he needs a veteran presence to lead the top pair.

Hmm...

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Yegor Zamula’s interview to Samir Arar from Allhockey.ru

Егор Замула: был вариант поехать в Чехию на глобальную серию против "Чикаго" - Статьи - Allhockey.ru

The interview was rather extensive, and I only translated parts that are relevant to Philadelphia Flyers. Please forgive typos and errors as I was translating at work in between work assignments.

SA: Why did you decide to move to North America?
YZ: First of all, it was my childhood dream to get close to the NHL. North American hockey is much faster and more attractive to me. A young player is afforded every possibility to develop from training sessions to game preparation. It’s very different here. The focus is speed, and therefore play development is different. Russian hockey is not worse, it’s just different. I am more interested in playing in North America than in Russia. A defender in Russia has too much time to make a decision. But in America first pass is very quick.

SA: What are the differences in approaches between Russian and North American hockey?
YZ: Zone exiting is much different, and speed is most important. WHL is quite difficult for a defender in regards of battling and hitting. I am only benefiting from that.

SA: You have a contract with Philadelphia. How did you feel when you were with the team?
YZ: To be honest, Giroux, Voracek, and Provorov have been very nice to me. I have direct and open communications with the coaching staff; I had opportunities to play in the pre-season games. I even had an opportunity to go to Prague with the team, but I would not be playing there. The coaching staff and I decided that it would be better if I returned to the junior club in order to have more playing time and continue with my development.

SA: Do you have a development coach assigned to you? Who do they ask you to model your game after?
YZ: Yes, of course. They have been coming to watch me playing. They seem to be satisfied with my development, and we have been talking about eventually playing with the big club. I am focusing on Victor Hedman’s game as my model.

SA: You have very good stats. What is the secret? What are you working on?
YZ: Perhaps the secret is that I have been trusted by the coaching staff. I have a contract with the NHL club, and that gives me a lot of confidence. I set a league record this year with the game time of 36 minutes. Almost died there (Laughs), but realized how valuable that experience was. When you are playing for 30 minutes, your head is not working well and you are prone to errors. When your playing time is increasing, you need to play simpler, more cold blooded, play well positionally. But, let me repeat myself- my success and stats are mostly due to the coaches’ trust.

SA: What kind of defender does Philadelphia see in you (attacking, stay home, or universal)?
YZ: Before I left for Calgary I was told that I am an NHL player and they see me playing in Philadelphia for the next 8-10 years. When I played in Russia, some coaches did not like scoring defensemen. But I would score or assist anyway. I was considered “stay at home” back there. In North America coaches recognized my hands and my vision, and I can be a 4th attacker. But most important for me is to play reliable and stable defense, everything else will come.

SA: How do your parents support you now?
YZ: By the way, they are coming to Canada in 3 days. My father is a military jet fighter and he had difficulties getting Canadian visa for 3 years. This year Flyers organization reached out to Canadian embassy, and they are coming!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So Zamula is probably FSB (given his dad). Oh well.

YZ: Before I left for Calgary I was told that I am an NHL player and they see me playing in Philadelphia for the next 8-10 years. When I played in Russia, some coaches did not like scoring defensemen. But I would score or assist anyway. I was considered “stay at home” back there. In North America coaches recognized my hands and my vision, and I can be a 4th attacker. But most important for me is to play reliable and stable defense, everything else will come.

It's nice he patterns his game after Hedman, of course, he'll need another 40 lbs to quite match up.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville

It's nice he patterns his game after Hedman, of course, he'll need another 40 lbs to quite match up.

I really admired how the Flyers organization intervened on his behalf. Now his parents have a 3 year visa, and his father can fly his jet in at any time :)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yegor Zamula’s interview to Samir Arar from Allhockey.ru

Егор Замула: был вариант поехать в Чехию на глобальную серию против "Чикаго" - Статьи - Allhockey.ru

The interview was rather extensive, and I only translated parts that are relevant to Philadelphia Flyers. Please forgive typos and errors as I was translating at work in between work assignments.

SA: Why did you decide to move to North America?
YZ: First of all, it was my childhood dream to get close to the NHL. North American hockey is much faster and more attractive to me. A young player is afforded every possibility to develop from training sessions to game preparation. It’s very different here. The focus is speed, and therefore play development is different. Russian hockey is not worse, it’s just different. I am more interested in playing in North America than in Russia. A defender in Russia has too much time to make a decision. But in America first pass is very quick.

SA: What are the differences in approaches between Russian and North American hockey?
YZ: Zone exiting is much different, and speed is most important. WHL is quite difficult for a defender in regards of battling and hitting. I am only benefiting from that.

SA: You have a contract with Philadelphia. How did you feel when you were with the team?
YZ: To be honest, Giroux, Voracek, and Provorov have been very nice to me. I have direct and open communications with the coaching staff; I had opportunities to play in the pre-season games. I even had an opportunity to go to Prague with the team, but I would not be playing there. The coaching staff and I decided that it would be better if I returned to the junior club in order to have more playing time and continue with my development.

SA: Do you have a development coach assigned to you? Who do they ask you to model your game after?
YZ: Yes, of course. They have been coming to watch me playing. They seem to be satisfied with my development, and we have been talking about eventually playing with the big club. I am focusing on Victor Hedman’s game as my model.

SA: You have very good stats. What is the secret? What are you working on?
YZ: Perhaps the secret is that I have been trusted by the coaching staff. I have a contract with the NHL club, and that gives me a lot of confidence. I set a league record this year with the game time of 36 minutes. Almost died there (Laughs), but realized how valuable that experience was. When you are playing for 30 minutes, your head is not working well and you are prone to errors. When your playing time is increasing, you need to play simpler, more cold blooded, play well positionally. But, let me repeat myself- my success and stats are mostly due to the coaches’ trust.

SA: What kind of defender does Philadelphia see in you (attacking, stay home, or universal)?

SA: How do your parents support you now?
YZ: By the way, they are coming to Canada in 3 days. My father is a military jet fighter and he had difficulties getting Canadian visa for 3 years. This year Flyers organization reached out to Canadian embassy, and they are coming!

As always, thanks for this!

Reactions: CSKA1974 and SnS

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I think you mean GRU, or the lesser SVR

Reactions: SnS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad