Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Cornell forward Cole Bardreau

roconnor38

Feb 6, 2014
New York, NY
Watched him play for 4 years at Cornell. Pre-injury he was very impressive. He is small, but good defensively, quick and with good hands. His main issue other than size is a phobia of shooting the puck. Also should be noted that Cornell has done a horrific job at developing players over the past couple years. Cole's freshman year, the team was a goal away from the Frozen Four with led by freshman. Not one of those players actually drastically improved, and the Bruins actually told a draft pick to go to the AHL because he wasn't developing in the coach's 90s devils system. This has gone from a #3 ranking in 2012 to a losing record this year. All in all, don't see him being much more than an AHL player, but I hope I'm wrong.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
He would be a good 4th line guy on the team. I love his tenacity and aggitative play. Kinda reminds me of a much less skilled Marchand. He just needs to build his shooting confidence. Seems to be a pass first or someone who looks for the pass. If Lehtera and Laughton are on the 4th line he'll need to become a shooter because they don't rack up goals... that's assuming he's on the team of course, which isn't likely.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I like Bardreau; he's hard not to like as an energy guy. And he wears the 'A' down there for a reason.

But this team is so deep, he'd probably be 17th in the pecking order. He was a bottom 6 player on our AHL team. And we're going to have actual, better, more money invested in NHL talent like Read, Weise, Raffl, Laughton, Lehtera all competing for 3 spots. There is so much talent that we don't need Bardreau types on the 4th line to grind and PK. Another guy like Leier, who certainly is above him on the organizational depth chart and can do what he does better, they may feel is better served being in the AHL. Obviously, Vecchione too. Meanwhile, Bardreau really can't develop any further. He could be a likable, useful 13/14 on and off the ice. That's a role he could fill. Other than that, sorry, but he has no business being on this team.

Hextall mentioned him before last year too, when his stock was a little higher with his better usage, though he got injured and wasn't able to compete in camp. Seems he's another one of his "Brett Hextall replacement sons," and he's just throwing out some praise to a kid he likes.

Last edited:

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Guy could end up becoming a good 4th liner/energy player. It also appears he is going to be voted as our #30th best prospect. Sounds very promising as an organization to have your 30th best prospect be thought of as a potential future NHLer. Can't think of many(any?) teams that can say the same thing.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
He would be a good 4th line guy on the team. I love his tenacity and aggitative play. Kinda reminds me of a much less skilled Marchand. He just needs to build his shooting confidence. Seems to be a pass first or someone who looks for the pass. If Lehtera and Laughton are on the 4th line he'll need to become a shooter because they don't rack up goals... that's assuming he's on the team of course, which isn't likely.

Tenacity is great, but I don't want to go it without a skill. It would be just like PEB all over again.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I like Bardreau; he's hard not to like as an energy guy. And he wears the 'A' down there for a reason.

But this team is so deep, he'd probably be 17th in the pecking order. He was a bottom 6 player on our AHL team. And we're going to have actual, better, more money invested in NHL talent like Read, Weise, Raffl, Laughton, Lehtera all competing for 3 spots. There is so much talent that we don't need Bardreau types on the 4th line to grind and PK. Another guy like Leier, who certainly is above him on the organizational depth chart and can do what he does better, they may feel is better served being in the AHL. Obviously, Vecchione too. Meanwhile, Bardreau really can't develop any further. He could be a likable, useful 13/14 on and off the ice. That's a role he could fill. Other than that, sorry, but he has no business being on this team.

Hextall mentioned him before last year too, when his stock was a little higher with his better usage, though he got injured and wasn't able to compete in camp. Seems he's another one of his "Brett Hextall replacement sons," and he's just throwing out some praise to a kid he likes.

It would be shocking to me if Bardreau made the Flyers ahead of Leier when Bardreau is waiver exempt and Leier isn't.

I also like Bardreau as an AHL depth guy, but Corban Knight is a better player than Bardreau right now, and there's no room for him as the 14th forward, either.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North

Hextall's mention of him is worth noting.

I don't get the Hagg part. He didn't say Robert or Hagg according to that quote. His exact words seem to have been "Nolan is no different than any other player or Morin or Sanheim or Meyers or Bardreau" Maybe the previous question had been about Hagg or something. Not a huge deal, just seems weird to me.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It is kind of strange. Maybe he pointed to a picture of Hagg?

Some of the questions are kind of weird, but at least Isaac didn't ask about his boy Brennan. :laugh:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think you can pretty much forget about Bardreau making the Flyers on a full-time basis. A call-up, maybe. I think Hextall likes the kid and appreciates his effort, so gave him a shout-out in recognition, but I wouldn't read much into it. I have to imagine he's below Vecchione in the pecking order.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad