Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Cornell forward Cole Bardreau

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Nice article

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2015/03/12/flyers-best-fit-fairports-cole-bardreau/70240888/

He had gone to prospect camps last summer with the Detroit Red Wings and Boston Bruins, and those teams were still interested. So, too, were the Philadelphia Flyers, and at least one other club.

During a tour of the facilities in Philadelphia this week, when he also met the coaches and upper management, he asked the Flyers what they liked about his game. It was as though his mirror was talking.

"They saw the same player that I think I am," Bardreau said.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Cornell only scored 57 goals in 31 games. Bardreau was in on 39% of them. Pretty good percentage for a guy who will never be relied on for his offense and started the season off with 4 pointless games.

His line at the 2013 World Juniors with Hartman and Pietila started just about every period in the tournament. They really brought some juice. Also was assistant captain.

Probably would have been drafted after his sophmore but he broke his neck. Lucky to still be playing.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Cornell only scored 57 goals in 31 games. Bardreau was in on 39% of them. Pretty good percentage for a guy who will never be relied on for his offense and started the season off with 4 pointless games.

His line at the 2013 World Juniors with Hartman and Pietila started just about every period in the tournament. They really brought some juice. Also was assistant captain.

Probably would have been drafted after his sophmore but he broke his neck. Lucky to still be playing.

The Flyers will have seen him while keeping tabs on Reece Willcox too. He's a grea story if he can make it to the NHL. Looks like a checking centre or winger similar to Read but probably with less offense.

Let's hope.

One thing for sure, with the Martel signing and now this: Hexy is committed to improving team speed.

Moondog47

Feb 5, 2014
Hearing the breakdown of this kid's game, it makes me feel more confident about Hextall using picks on upside and skill/ceiling and finding these role type players in udfa/fa.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
The Flyers will have seen him while keeping tabs on Reece Willcox too. He's a grea story if he can make it to the NHL. Looks like a checking centre or winger similar to Read but probably with less offense.

Let's hope.

One thing for sure, with the Martel signing and now this: Hexy is committed to improving team speed.

Cant be less than this year's Read :cry:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They wouldn't have given him a 3 year ELC if they didn't think he could become and NHL player.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
They wouldn't have given him a 3 year ELC if they didn't think he could become and NHL player.

It's 2 years due to his age but your point is valid all the same.

I think he can make a fine 3-4 tweener once he gets acclimated.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's 2 years due to his age but your point is valid all the same.

I think he can make a fine 3-4 tweener once he gets acclimated.

Three years according to the press release. He was eligible for a 2 year deal.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
Three years according to the press release. He was eligible for a 2 year deal.

Per the CBA he's past the eligability of a 3 year deal at 21 because he will be 22 before September 15th 2015 b-day 7/22/93 article 9.2. There may be some special clause for College FA's but of that I am unaware. Where did you find said press release?

I know the one of the team website has been amended and used to say 3 year deal. Is that what you're refering to?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He should fit in pretty easily to the current 4th line.

@BobRotruck: Forwards:
36 Powe 21 Laughton 45 Stortini
38 Akeson 25 Cousins 10 Gordon
37 Rosehill 11 Fyten 16 Hextall
23 Leier 17 Goumas 29 Mathers

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Per the CBA he's past the eligability of a 3 year deal at 21 because he will be 22 before September 15th 2015 b-day 7/22/93 article 9.2. There may be some special clause for College FA's but of that I am unaware. Where did you find said press release?

I know the one of the team website has been amended and used to say 3 year deal. Is that what you're refering to?
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=38618 says his contract ends 17/18.

They did edit the press release. Doesn't disclose the terms. I'm sure if there was competition for his services, and it sounds like there was, they probably gave him the minimum term.

Matt Read signed a 3 year ELC IIRC. Gustafsson too.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=38618 says his contract ends 17/18.

They did edit the press release. Doesn't disclose the terms. I'm sure if there was competition for his services, and it sounds like there was, they probably gave him the minimum term.

Matt Read signed a 3 year ELC IIRC. Gustafsson too.

That's strange, must be something special with college UFA's that I don't know. They probably classify as a different group because they have a certain amount of time in. Glad it's 3 years and not two, extra year of control amd savings. Here's to hoping he pans out.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
He should fit in pretty easily to the current 4th line.

@BobRotruck: Forwards:
36 Powe 21 Laughton 45 Stortini
38 Akeson 25 Cousins 10 Gordon
37 Rosehill 11 Fyten 16 Hextall
23 Leier 17 Goumas 29 Mathers

Pretty embarrassing that Murray has Leier on the fourth line.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I was thinking the same thing. How is he below Rosehill, Hextall, Stortini or Powe on the depth chart?

Murray did the same thing last year with Cousins. He would inexplicably bury the rookie way down the line-up. Leier and Laughton had some great chemistry building too before Laughton got his call up.

Evergreen

Got to watch this kid a lot when I was at Cornell. I'm excited that the Flyers have signed him. Go Big Red!

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
These are the types of signings we should be utilizing to populate our 4th lines, not selecting possible grinders in the 3rd round of the draft.

100% agree. You need to hit on a few of these cost effective darts in order to be able to build (and pay) your top 6 F and top 4 D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad