Roster Moves: Flyers sign Anthony Stolarz (London/OHL) and free agent RW Brandon Alderson to ELC

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
FLYERS INK STOLARZ & ALDERSON
Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren announced that the club has signed 2012 2nd-round draft pick, goaltender Anthony Stolarz, of the Ontario Hockey League's London Knights and forward Brandon Alderson of the OHL's Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.

Stolarz, was selected 45th overall in this past summer's NHL Entry Draft. The 6-foot-6, 220-pound goaltender is currently playing for the Knights after beginning the season with the University of Nebraska-Omaha.

With London, Stolarz has posted a 9-2-1 record with a 2.17 goals-against average and .926 save percentage in 14 appearances.

Alderson is an undrafted right wing who is in his fourth season in the OHL, spending his two seasons with the Sarnia Sting, before coming to the Soo Greyhounds.

This season he has posted career-high in goals (25), assists (32) and points (57), and ranks third on the team in scoring.

• Shoots: Right
  • Height: 6.04"
  • Weight: 202
  • Birthdate: 1992-01-22
  • Hometown:Oakville, ON

Alderson signed by NHL's Philadelphia Flyers
The Soo Greyhounds Hockey Club is extremely pleased to announce that right-winger BRANDON ALDERSON has been signed to a 3-year entry-level contract by the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers earlier today.

“Obviously as an organization we are thrilled for Brandon. Particularly in the last number of months he has showed the consistency and production needed to earn a National Hockey League contract” began Hounds GM Kyle Dubas.

“As an organization it is our mandate to maximize each player’s potential both on and off the ice and in his time here, Brandon has been one of our best academic achievers and today is the culmination of his efforts on the ice in signing a contract with an organization as prestigious as the Philadelphia Flyers.”

The 21-year old Oakville, ON product was excited yet humble when contacted by soogreyhounds.com.
“I mean you can’t really describe the feeling of taking the next step of the childhood dream, and to be honest I don’t think it’s really sunk in yet especially with having two big games this weekend to focus on. Being signed by a NHL team is every kids dream and to finally have done that after 21 years it’s truly a great accomplishment and really a dream come true

” started Alderson.

“I think the Philadelphia Flyers organization has a great history and tradition which is an honor to be a part of. The Flyers are such an elite and respected organization around the NHL and its truly amazing feeling to be a part of that. You can just tell when you watch a Flyers game that the atmosphere and fan base is passionate there which is really exciting to see especially coming from a hockey town like the Soo” continued Alderson.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
What makes this Alderson guy so special that they had to sign him? He's got pretty average numbers for a twenty-one year old in the CHL. Anybody watch him in the OHL that can give some insight?

Eventually the team will address that. OHL fans can offer opinions, too.

He was/is a roommate and linemate to Cousins.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
What makes this Alderson guy so special that they had to sign him? He's got pretty average numbers for a twenty-one year old in the CHL. Anybody watch him in the OHL that can give some insight?

He's big. 6'4" 202 and according to that article above, seems like he's got some good defensive ability too. His offense is unimpressive for an overager, but plays on the same team as Cousins, and has some hands/defensive ability/size, making him a possible bottom 6 player in the future.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
I can see Anthony as the type of goalie development we need and a solid backup in 3-4 years.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Thanks for the replies guys/gals. Ok, so maybe another McGinn type? I really like what Homer is starting to do with a lot of the prospects. The organization now has a lot of guys that seem to play a two-way game with size. Not too much flash, but you can never have enough two-way players in the system.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
On the trade rumors section someone said this is the first day that ELC can be signed and not start until next year. So we may still have a contract slot open for this season, right?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Thanks for the replies guys/gals. Ok, so maybe another McGinn type? I really like what Homer is starting to do with a lot of the prospects. The organization now has a lot of guys that seem to play a two-way game with size. Not too much flash, but you can never have enough two-way players in the system.

The Flyers system seems to have too many no-way players.

I don't understand the rush to sign this kid.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
if they both slide we are at 49.

Really? For next year? I don't think so. Let me look.

EDIT:

Forwards Roster: (10)
Briere, Voracek, Hartnell, Giroux, Schenn, Talbot, Simmonds, Couturier, Read, McGinn

Defensemen Roster: (8)
Timonen, Coburn, Schenn, Grossmann, Meszaros, Pronger, Gervais, Bourdon

Goaltenders Roster: (1)
Bryzgalov

Forwards Prospect: (8)
Laughton, Johnston, Cousins, Brown, Akeson, Noebels, Mathers, Aldrerson

Defensemen Prospect: (5)
Konan, Mangene, Syvret, Eddy, Hostetter

Goaltenders Prospect: (2)
Heeter, Stolarz

We're at 34/50 already committed next year.

Forward RFAs: (4)
Wahl, Harper, Wellwood, Holmstrom, Zolnierczyk, Rinaldo

Defensemen RFAs: (2)
Kessel, Manning, Lauridsen

Forward UFAs: (1)
Gagne, Fedotenko, Shelley, Knuble

Defensemen UFAs: (0)
Walker, Foster, Lilja

Goaltenders UFAs: (1)
Leighton, Boucher

Assuming we sign those guys in bold, we're at 42/50. Now slide risk Stolarz and Alderson, and we're back at 40/50.

We have room next year for the first time in forever if Holmgren doesn't go buying up ALL THE PROSPECTS! Which he will...

Last edited:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The Flyers system seems to have too many no-way players.

I don't understand the rush to sign this kid.

Probably as others have stated, it gives Cousins a familiar linemate to start the season with in the AHL next year. The article above also says he's really picked his game up since the new coaching staff took over the team.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Alderson is an overager so he'll most likely be in the AHL next yr but Stollie will slide since he's going back to juniors. Assuming we don't re-sign a bunch of the junk players that are gone after this yr we should be at 41 contracts based on Chris' breakdown of the situation

Murphy7

Drop the puck
Jan 25, 2008
Both ELCs. They go into effect next year. We're at 50 limit for this year at the moment. Stolarz will likely slide as well. Doubt he goes to the AHL next year.

if they both slide we are at 49.

EDIT:

Briere, Voracek, Hartnell, Giroux, Schenn, Talbot, Simmonds, Couturier, Read, McGinn

Bryzgalov

Heeter, Stolarz

Walker, Foster, Lilja

Leighton, Boucher

Assuming we sign those guys in bold, we're at 42/50. Now slide risk Stolarz and Alderson, and we're back at 40/50.

We have room next year for the first time in forever if Holmgren doesn't go buying up ALL THE PROSPECTS! Which he will...

I believe he was talking about this year, but at least we now also have a chart for next year to look at potential holes and moves within the organization. Should we move that chart to the future rosters thread?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

EDIT:

Bryzgalov

Heeter, Stolarz

Walker, Foster, Lilja

Leighton, Boucher

I was talking about this year. But yeah it will be nice to have some flexability for next season. I dont think Blake Kessel and Harper will be back.
Ill mention his name again because I really hope Holmgren takes a run at him this spring.

http://omavs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6647&path=mhockey

#3 Andrej Sustr
Position: Defenseman
Height: 6-8
Weight: 225
Class: Junior
Hometown: Plzen, Czech Rep.
Junior/High School Hockey: Youngstown (USHL)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad