Flyers' Shayne Gostisbehere named Philly's pro athlete of year

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Something announced earlier this morning.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...behere-named-Phillys-Pro-Athlete-of-Year.html

Shayne Gostisbehere, the speedy Flyers defenseman who finished second in the NHL's rookie-of-the-year voting last season, has been named the Philadelphia Pro Athlete of the Year by the Philadelphia Sports Writers Association.

The player they call "Ghost" will be among the many honorees at the 113th annual banquet at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Cherry Hill on Feb. 3.

"Just to be associated with the award is something special to me and my family as well," Gostisbehere said. "It's a tremendous honor."

After being recalled from the AHL a year ago, Gostisbehere scored 17 goals -- a record for a Flyers rookie defenseman -- and jump-started the team's drive to a playoff berth.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Is it sad that there really is no one else deserving? lol Maybe Malcolm Jenkins? No one on the Phillies, no one the Sixers, and really no one on the Eagles

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah his best competition were other Flyers teammates based on how rough it's been for the other 3 teams lately.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Gets named Philly's pro athlete of year and is immediately scratched lol

Only in Philly. I realize AMac needs to play his 42 games as soon as he's healthy so he can be sent down, but really? Ghost? Hopefully it's just a minor or nagging injury they don't want to talk about. If he's 100% healthy, the timing really sucks, given Athlete of the Year...

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Lets see how the move plays out. I personally think every one of our D men deserves to sit except Provorov who is steadily improving and I would sit him as well every once in a while to let him see the game from the press box. Ghost has more to give and although far from our worst D performer can be better.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Lets see how the move plays out. I personally think every one of our D men deserves to sit except Provorov who is steadily improving and I would sit him as well every once in a while to let him see the game from the press box. Ghost has more to give and although far from our worst D performer can be better.

He's being asked to be a #1 defensemen less than 90 games into his career with a revolving door of partners.

If anything, he should get a ****ing pat on the back.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
He's being asked to be a #1 defensemen less than 90 games into his career with a revolving door of partners.

If anything, he should get a ****ing pat on the back.

You are really getting too soft in you're old age. How about fricking hitting the net on some of his bombs from the point.

Seriously I think he is one of those players that needs to have a "let it rip" attitude on the ice and not think too much and be tentative out there. Unfortunately there may not be a suitable D pairing for him on the team currently. I hope that person is Morin.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You are really getting too soft in you're old age. How about fricking hitting the net on some of his bombs from the point.

Seriously I think he is one of those players that needs to have a "let it rip" attitude on the ice and not think too much and be tentative out there. Unfortunately there may not be a suitable D pairing for him on the team currently. I hope that person is Morin.

I'm 31 years old.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It just sucks that this award is totally overshadowed by being scratched tonight.

I'd have been using it as a tool to get even more out of Ghost tonight..but i'm not an ******* like Hakstol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad