Flyers roster (2014-15)

FlyingHigh28*

Hartnell (4.75) - Giroux (6.50~) - xxxxxxxxxxxx
Simmonds (3.98) - Couturier (3.00~) - BSchenn (3.00~)
McGinn (1.00~) - Laughton (0.93*) - Voracek (4.25)
Rinaldo (0.80~) - Talbot (1.75) - Sestito (0.80~)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Coburn (4.50) - Grossmann (3.50)
LSchenn (3.60) - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gustafsson (1.30~) - xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bryzgalov (5.67)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

TOTAL: 49.33
CAP: 64.30
SPACE: 14.97

I think you're a little bit light on Giroux, Couturier, and Schenn. Assuming Couturier keeps up his excellent defensive play and contributes at least 40-50 points before his contract is up, I see him getting a 4/16 (or more) type of deal that Jordan Staal got.

With Brayden Schenn, I can't see him signing for a cap hit less than his current cap hit of ~3.1M.

Giroux is a little less predictable. He could take a deal around 6.5 to try and give the team max flexibility, or he could go the Weber route, realize he's among the greatest players in the league, and demand the huge salary he really deserves. Nobody but Giroux knows which way he's going to go there.

PropJoe

Jan 25, 2013
I think if we have a good shot at Corey perry there's a chance he'd be bought out. I think we're seeing just how crucial it is for Giroux to have a winger that can take the focus away from him and create space for him to make plays. It just so happens that one of the best players in the league at that job is going to be a free agent this summer... We'd be idiotic to not make a run at him.

We'd be able to go over the cap to sign Perry if my understanding of the cap rules are correct. So we could wait until after the signing to buy out Briere.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
Schenn - Giroux - Perry
Simmonds - Couturier - Voracek
Hartnell - Laughton - Cousins
Talbot - Noebels - Rinaldo/McGinn

Coburn - Carlson
Schenn - Gostisbehere
Grossmann - Manning

Bryzgalov
Stolarz

Obviously I guessed certain things. Signing Perry as a free agent, Stolarz makes the jump to back up, Cousins, Noebels, Gostisbehere, Manning make the team. Carlson acquired for a few things (Meszaros, Holmstrom, and a pick or something) in a potential Washington firesale. Looks like a pretty solid team. No no. 1 dman though.

laundryman

Jun 28, 2011
Schenn - Giroux - Perry

Coburn - Carlson
Schenn - Gostisbehere
Grossmann - Manning

Bryzgalov
Stolarz

Obviously I guessed certain things. Signing Perry as a free agent, Stolarz makes the jump to back up, Cousins, Noebels, Gostisbehere, Manning make the team. Carlson acquired for a few things (Meszaros, Holmstrom, and a pick or something) in a potential Washington firesale. Looks like a pretty solid team. No no. 1 dman though.

Pretty bold, but I like it

SchennSational1022*

Schenn - Giroux - Perry

Coburn - Carlson
Schenn - Gostisbehere
Grossmann - Manning

Bryzgalov
Stolarz

lol if it was that easy to acquire Carlson...

No way Stolarz or Ghost are NHL ready next year, Cousins I'm not too sure where he'll be. I think a stop gap for our defense could be Zidlicky. He plays very well against us minus that horrible turnover last year. He is very underrated and is a GREAT puck mover and has very good skills for an old defensemen. He'd definitely help us out.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Schenn - Giroux - Perry

Coburn - Carlson
Schenn - Gostisbehere
Grossmann - Manning

Bryzgalov
Stolarz

1.) You're not getting Carlson for an oft-injured defenseman, a non-prospect, and a pick.

2.) That's incredibly early to bring Stolarz up. At best, he'd have half a year in the CHL and a year in the AHL.

3.) Also seems pretty early for Ghost. As a really small defenseman, I'd imagine he'd need multiple years in the AHL just for gaining size alone.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Schenn - Giroux - Perry

Coburn - Carlson
Schenn - Gostisbehere
Grossmann - Manning

Bryzgalov
Stolarz

We can dream right? :laugh:

1. I don't think we can dump Mez, a 4th liner, and pick and expect to get Carlson.
2. I think Ghost and Stolarz at best will be in the AHL with the possibly of still playing in college/OHL.
3. I would swap Gus with Manning unless you have us trading Gus.

Other then all that it's a good lineup.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
1.) You're not getting Carlson for an oft-injured defenseman, a non-prospect, and a pick.

2.) That's incredibly early to bring Stolarz up. At best, he'd have half a year in the CHL and a year in the AHL.

3.) Also seems pretty early for Ghost. As a really small defenseman, I'd imagine he'd need multiple years in the AHL just for gaining size alone.

Apparently he's been bad in Washington recently and a lot of caps fans would sell him if they have a fire-sale.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I think it would take at least a solid roster player, promising prospect and a pick to pry away a young talented but struggling player like Carlson from Washington.

Something like

Meszaros, Nick Cousins/Taylor Leier and 3rd rounder

or

Gustaffson and Nick Cousins/ Taylor Leier (don't know what they are exactly lokkin for, winger or center)

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I think it would take at least a solid roster player, promising prospect and a pick to pry away a young talented but struggling player like Carlson from Washington.

Something like

or

Gustaffson and Nick Cousins/ Taylor Leier (don't know what they are exactly lokkin for, winger or center)

Again, kind of building off of the other Holmgren thread, other teams will easily be able to beat our offer because we don't have enough pieces to trade to Washington that don't open up a new hole in our roster somewhere else.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Let's not forget that the cap will be higher than 64.3m in 2014-15

Using the average growth since the last lockout, we are looking at about 3.53b in revenues but I'd probably estimate that we hit 3.75b by then due to some Canadian TV deals being up soon

Not sure if they took the escalator out of the CBA but the Cap could be anywhere from 65m-70m or so by then

Buyout/trade briere and we are pretty good already

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
lol if it was that easy to acquire Carlson...

No way Stolarz or Ghost are NHL ready next year, Cousins I'm not too sure where he'll be. I think a stop gap for our defense could be Zidlicky. He plays very well against us minus that horrible turnover last year. He is very underrated and is a GREAT puck mover and has very good skills for an old defensemen. He'd definitely help us out.

This is for the 14-15 season next year. I agree that stollie and ghost may not be ready still but mez's contract will be up by then

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I think you're a little bit light on Giroux, Couturier, and Schenn. Assuming Couturier keeps up his excellent defensive play and contributes at least 40-50 points before his contract is up, I see him getting a 4/16 (or more) type of deal that Jordan Staal got.

Giroux's not going to get in the 7.00m range. The new salary cap will send contracts down, not up. What did Briere get coming off a 90+ point season as a UFA? 6.5m. Giroux is an RFA, will not likely becoming off a 90+ point season unless he tears it up again, and in a more cap restrictive world.

With Brayden Schenn, I can't see him signing for a cap hit less than his current cap hit of ~3.1M.

Schenn is not making 3.11m. He's making 0.90m. He has bonuses that he can accomplish to reach that 3.11m cap hit.

I don't see him getting 4.00m/year unless he tops Giroux, who got 3.75m/year on his second contract.

Same goes for Couturier.

For the kind of production I expect those two to get this year and next, 3.00m fits right in the price range with what the Flyers have done.

Like the Canadiens, who just gave Subban that bridge contract, the Flyers also give bridge contracts. Each bridge contract is almost guaranteed to be the 3 RFA years leading up to the final RFA year when you get a long-term UFA contract. Unlike Montreal, Philadelphia is not nearly as stingy with those bridge contracts. I don't see any of Giroux, Schenn, or Couturier going any higher than what I just described.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Oh crap. I just remembered something extremely important. Briere's actual salary in his last year is 2.00m, not the 6.50m cap hit he carries.

So if we bought him out, his cap hit that year would be in the 5.00m range.

We'd have no Briere, and still carry over 3/4 of his cap hit.

Briere is not leaving Philadelphia until the end of his contract.

Last edited:

RJ8812*

Oh crap. I just remembered something extremely important. Briere's actual salary in his last year is 2.00m, not the 6.50m cap hit he carries.

So if we bought him out, his cap hit that year would be in the 5.00m range.

We'd have no Briere, and still carry over 3/4 of his cap hit.

Briere is not leaving Philadelphia until the end of his contract.

He would be bought out with one of the amnesty buy-outs either this summer or next, so we won't be on the hook for his cap hit

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.

Something like

or

The caps are pretty set in terms of good forward prospects except for at LW. http://capgeek.com/capitals/depth-chart/ Also add Kuznetsov to that list who is supposedly coming over in 14-15. I don't know about Leier but Cousins is projected to be a good third liner, I don't think he will help bring in Carlson.

edit- I didn't realize Leier was a LW or that he appears to be pretty good offensively based on stats, so he could be tempting for the Caps paired with Meszaros, but I don't see it happening.

Last edited:

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
The caps are pretty set in terms of good forward prospects except for at LW. http://capgeek.com/capitals/depth-chart/ Also add Kuznetsov to that list who is supposedly coming over in 14-15. I don't know about Leier but Cousins is projected to be a good third liner, I don't think he will help bring in Carlson.

To be honest, if the Caps go on a firesale, the rebuild should start around Backstrom. Next year, an 1-2-3 schwedish punch along with Johansson and Forsberg could be very effective.

Add Carlson, Alzner and Green to the mix and you have a foundation to build around.

As much as OV made them a hockey city, moving him for the right price and get some nice pieces back COULD be just what the doctor ordered.

But what do I know.

Sry for OT.

ninetynine*

Hartnell (4.75) - Giroux (6.50~) - xxxxxxxxxxxx
Simmonds (3.98) - Couturier (3.00~) - BSchenn (3.00~)
McGinn (1.00~) - Laughton (0.93*) - Voracek (4.25)
Rinaldo (0.80~) - Talbot (1.75) - Shelley (0.55~)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Coburn (4.50) - Grossmann (3.50)
LSchenn (3.60) - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gustafsson (1.30~) - xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bryzgalov (5.67)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

TOTAL: 49.08
CAP: 64.05
SPACE: 14.97

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
This is for 2013-14, but still, felt like putting it here. If we re-sign Gagne, trade off Briere before the trade deadline to Boston for a 1st and Peverely, this is what I would like to see:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Simon Gagne ($3.000m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Rich Peverley ($3.250m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Adam Hall ($0.750m) / Tye McGinn ($0.775m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.650m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Erik Gustafsson ($1.100m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Chris Mason ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
Buyout: Danny Briere ($0.000m)
Buyout: Chris Pronger ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,276,667; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $6,823,333

Pronger is on bought-out just as saying he's on LTIR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad