Flyers roster (2014-15)

Spread Eagle

Feb 16, 2012
The Flyers roster is fairly set for next year with no major re-signings needed. Once we look passed that however the majority of our young core come up all at once.
Giroux (RFA)
B. Schenn (RFA)
Couterier (RFA)
Read (UFA)
Plus other players I’m sure the Flyers would like to keep on the roster.
Meszaros (UFA)
McGinn (RFA)

As per cap geek the Flyers are set to have just shy of 21 million in cap space plus the money freed up from Pronger’s LTIR.

Can we afford to keep all of them and at what cost?

(I’m a long time Hfboards stalker, first time poster)

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
This thread again?

Anyway, Meszaros is hurt too often. I'm just going to assume he's gone at the end of his contract unless he has a HUGE season next year.

Giroux, BSchenn, and Couturier will be re-signed.

McGinn is so cheap it won't matter.

Where Read is concerned, we might have to buy out Briere or face losing him.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
RFAs often get less than UFAs. I think/hope that we'll resign Giroux, Schenn and Couturier. If we can't sign one of them, we can get solids assets by trading their rights. I'd also like to resign Read, but he sure won't be as valuable as he is right now at 900K. It's not a must to get him back if he asks for too much, but I'd like them to at least offer him something decent. McGinn is very promising and wiill be RFA, so we either keep him or get something good for him. Meszaros will probably walk because he's always injured. I like the player, though.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Hartnell (4.75) - Giroux (6.50~) - xxxxxxxxxxxx
Simmonds (3.98) - Couturier (3.00~) - BSchenn (3.00~)
McGinn (1.00~) - Laughton (0.93*) - Voracek (4.25)
Rinaldo (0.80~) - Talbot (1.75) - Sestito (0.80~)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Coburn (4.50) - Grossmann (3.50)
LSchenn (3.60) - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gustafsson (1.30~) - xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bryzgalov (5.67)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

TOTAL: 49.33
CAP: 64.30
SPACE: 14.97

Now your decision is keep Briere at (6.50) or Read at the (3.75-5.00) range that he is going to ask for. I can't see the future so I don't know. Hell, in theory we could keep both, but we would risk not having a real defense.

Also keep in mind that the following season (when Briere's contract actually ends) Bobby Ryan becomes a UFA.

Spread Eagle

Feb 16, 2012
The great thing about the Flyers is that they remain competitive every year, no lengthy playoff droughts. This is done by looking into the future while being cognizant of the present.
Briere has a cap hit of 6.5 million, but only makes 2.0 in the last year, does this make him a buy out possibility to retain the younger players?

Even after the above mentioned players are signed, there are still roster spots to be filled.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Who's off the roster that summer? Timonen? Briere?

Kimmo will be gone but Briere will have another year left at 6.5 mil. he'll only be getting 2 mil i believe so the flyers might be able to move him and then re-sign him the following season with a much lower cap hit. at that point i honestly don't see them buying him out. if they do i think it'll be next season to try and make a push for perry.

The great thing about the Flyers is that they remain competitive every year, no lengthy playoff droughts. This is done by looking into the future while being cognizant of the present.
Briere has a cap hit of 6.5 million, but only makes 2.0 in the last year, does this make him a buy out possibility to retain the younger players?

Even after the above mentioned players are signed, there are still roster spots to be filled.

one of those forward spots could potentially be filled by Cousins making sestito or rinaldo the 13th forward. perry is also a free agent this year so i expect the flyers will make a push but if that's the case, Briere is most definitely gone.

the defense i really don't know. maybe they'll give mez a contract at around 3 mil since he's made of glass and hopefully the flyers will have a good d-man picked in this draft.

wow...that's a lot of ifs and maybes. i think it's best to see what the roster looks like next year and the type of years the players had before talking about the 14-15 season

edit: oh yeah and we don't even know definitively what the cap will be

Last edited:

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
All of the following (but not all) could come up.

Laughton, Cousins, Gus, Heeter, possibly Manning, Noebels, Wellwood, and possibly Holmstrom could be up by then, with Ghost on the bubble. First and second rounders from this season and next year could also be on the bubble. I almost wish Wellwood would get traded for an okay pick to a team that needs defense. He doesn't seem to be able to stay up and other forwards coming up fit that 3rd / 4th line role fine.

Money can be had. If Simmonds doesn't round out-- he could be traded to a place with new scenery. Read can be traded, resigned, or allowed to walk. Briere can be amnestied. The Flyers can create space.

Last edited:

djw99

Feb 18, 2006
what is the deal with the buyouts? why wouldn't you use the buyouts? does that mean the player cannot return to your team? why wouldn't we buyout bryz then just resign him to the minimum contract to save some cap space?

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
what is the deal with the buyouts? why wouldn't you use the buyouts? does that mean the player cannot return to your team? why wouldn't we buyout bryz then just resign him to the minimum contract to save some cap space?

You can't resign players you buyout.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

can't re-sign them cause that my friend would be a form of cap circumvention.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
If he's PPG during the play-offs I wouldn't expect it.

unless he leads us to the SCF, he'll be bought-out

I fully expect Briere to be bought out this summer

Maybe if we sign perry...otherwise, i doubt it.

Highly doubt it

he's old, that producution is going to go way down

I HOPE he is bought out this summer, esp if we don't get to SCF.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
I could see Homer finding a way to trade Briere to a team that would buy him out then he'll resign with us for cheaper. Maybe not the easiest or best idea but if anyone would think about doing it its Homer.

RJ8812*

I could see Homer finding a way to trade Briere to a team that would buy him out then he'll resign with us for cheaper. Maybe not the easiest or best idea but if anyone would think about doing it its Homer.

ya, I'm sure any team would do that for us. Just as long as we trade our 1st round draft pick for the next 3 years along with Briere

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I think if we have a good shot at Corey perry there's a chance he'd be bought out. I think we're seeing just how crucial it is for Giroux to have a winger that can take the focus away from him and create space for him to make plays. It just so happens that one of the best players in the league at that job is going to be a free agent this summer... We'd be idiotic to not make a run at him.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Cousins will likely make it, unless trade-baited and packaged for something. I also think Noebels will be a 3rd/4th liner. Otherwise, plug in all our current players under 34 and leave a spot or two for blockbusters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad