Speculation: Flyers Place in Mark Recchi's NHL Career

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Walker also wore 8 IIRC

So did Rory Fitzpatrick

Now that Lindros has shown up around here again and appears to have buried the hatchet, he will have his number retired for certain if/when he goes into the Hall of Fame. It's not like anyone would wear 88 here again anyways.

Recchi is a good debate though. I think ultimately if someone goes in having played most of his career here then it's a no-brainer. However, he only played the most of anyone other team, not the majority. He still played 1000 games for other teams and won the Cup 3 times. I think it might depend on what he considers himself.

Last edited:

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Wow Ive watched Recching ball's entire career and for some reason I was surprised he played ten seasons with us. Awesome player to watch in his prime. The wrister from the slot skating in left to right and shooting left side was always sweet to see.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
It is a good debate. My inclination is to say no to a jersey ceremony but an obvious yes to the team's Hall of Fame. Mark Howe was overwhelmingly the franchise's best defenseman and it was mainly his contributions with the Flyers that lifted him into the Hall of Fame. That isn't necessarily true with Recchi, his achievements were comprehensive and not limited to one team. The argument, too, that he is in the Hall of Fame is interesting but there are other Hall of Famers who played for the Flyers that do not have jerseys retired (Hawerchuk, A. Stanley, probably Pronger some day, etc.) so I would concentrate on what Recchi did as a Flyer: would those accomplishments have earned him a place in the Hall of Fame? My guess is no. Also, just one opinion, but Rick MacLeish accomplished more as a Flyer than Recchi -- he was the NHL's best offensive player for two consecutive playoffs and his absence from 1976 (along with Bernie Parent) possibly prevented a third straight win. He wasn't a Hall of Famer but he was, just an opinion, a more accomplished Flyer and his jersey is not retired. And no, that isn't a recommendation to have it honored in such a way.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
So did Rory Fitzpatrick

Now that Lindros has shown up around here again and appears to have buried the hatchet, he will have his number retired for certain if/when he goes into the Hall of Fame. It's not like anyone would wear 88 here again anyways.

Recchi is a good debate though. I think ultimately if someone goes in having played most of his career here then it's a no-brainer. However, he only played the most of anyone other team, not the majority. He still played 1000 games for other teams and won the Cup 3 times. I think it might depend on what he considers himself.

With those 3 Cups he was on that Cup winner for a brief period actually each compared three full seasons before they won a Cup and traded him that Summer before being traded prior to their second Cup... his next stays were ones in which he stayed there less than a season once and was traded as a Rental, and again for a full season and then traded a third time by the Pens... He was a Rental with the Canes when he won his second Cup and was a Rental initially with the Bruins but went on to play two full seasons and ended with his third Cup. He was with Atlanta and Tampa Bay for less than a full season with each and Played three full seasons and a portion of another with the Habs... He played with the Flyers for portions of ten seasons including seven full seasons. The next most time team is the Pens but he only played three full seasons there. Clearly his most time playing was with Philly BUT he was drafted by the Pens and had three stints there -- being traded away three times -- He married a Pittsburgh girl and I believe he resides in that area... He wanted to re-sign with the Flyers in hopes to retire here (and live in Haddonfield NJ) going into the last LockOut. He however was discouraged by Clarke's refusal to make legitimate offers (besides the steal he got from Primeau) due to the cost uncertainty of the time... and he signed with the Pens when they blew him away. At one time his heart was clearly with the Flyers but that may have tarnished after not getting a valid offer when he left in 2004. If left to him to decide he may not opt O&B... but the HHoF does not do that... If he were to be offered the opportunity to be honored in Philly with his number being retired, I would guess he would grab it.

While Recchi did not play here 50+% he played here in 45.5% of his NHL seasons and in 36.4% of his NHL games and 40% or better of his Goals, Assists and Total points were while with the Flyers... by far greater than with any other single team. Arguably his best seasons were in Philadelphia. Sadly those seasons were not near the end of his career and therefore he may not be remembered as much as a Flyer... but IMO he will always be a Flyer.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
It is a good debate. My inclination is to say no to a jersey ceremony but an obvious yes to the team's Hall of Fame. Mark Howe was overwhelmingly the franchise's best defenseman and it was mainly his contributions with the Flyers that lifted him into the Hall of Fame. That isn't necessarily true with Recchi, his achievements were comprehensive and not limited to one team. The argument, too, that he is in the Hall of Fame is interesting but there are other Hall of Famers who played for the Flyers that do not have jerseys retired (Hawerchuk, A. Stanley, probably Pronger some day, etc.) so I would concentrate on what Recchi did as a Flyer: would those accomplishments have earned him a place in the Hall of Fame? My guess is no. Also, just one opinion, but Rick MacLeish accomplished more as a Flyer than Recchi -- he was the NHL's best offensive player for two consecutive playoffs and his absence from 1976 (along with Bernie Parent) possibly prevented a third straight win. He wasn't a Hall of Famer but he was, just an opinion, a more accomplished Flyer and his jersey is not retired. And no, that isn't a recommendation to have it honored in such a way.

Good argument... and by that argument I would venture to say that Propp would even be ahead of Rick... but I'd say the the HHoF is the X Factor... the factor that opened the door for Howe. Do you honor a player like that (besides Ashbee) who is not in the Hall?... And Rex is no Howerchuck or Pronger, etc. when it comes to time served... he has the greatest season of any Flyers point-wise and was a beacon on an otherwise bleak period of Flyers history -- ignoring the hopes of a young Lindros -- and was the driving force that allowed the Flyers to get LeClair and Desjardins.

Recchi ranks high in the NHL stats... and many of those stats were in O&B... To honor Recchi and in doing so in essence capture him for the Flyers can only be good for the Organization, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad