Speculation: Flyers Place in Mark Recchi's NHL Career

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Mark Recchi is arguably a slam dunk for inclusion in the Hockey Hall shortly after his eligibility begins. He has been on three Stanley Cup winning teams and has played for seven Organizations over parts of twenty two NHL seasons. He is ranked high in the all-time list in just about every major categories and has played in 1,652 Games, scoring 577 Goals and 956 Assists for 1,533 Points in the Regular Season.

Of those stats, as a Flyer Mark has played parts of 10 Seasons (45.5%), 602 Games (36.4%), 232 Goals (40.2), 395 Assists (41.3%) and 627 points (40.9%).

It is my contention that even though Mark Recchi has not won the all important Cup as a Flyer, he has by far spent more time and scored more as a Flyer than he has with any other Organization and pushing almost half of all his stats with Philadelphia... and should be represented in The HHoF wearing a Flyers uniform.

Furthermore, since he ranks very highly in all the major all-time Flyers Organization stats, once in the HHoF he... as was the case when Mark Howe who was recently honored the Organization upon his HHoF induction... should have his Number Eight retired. Howe broke the unwritten rule and even though he did not win a Cup as a Flyer was so honored and IMO Recchi has established his legacy in all-time NHL history. Recchi has also established his legacy in the all-time Flyers Organization history and I believe should be claimed as 'ours. as soon as possible upon his HHoF induction. I understand the Flyers stance on being tough on number retirement and that Howe was recently so honored, but I believe Mark Recchi's stats deserve nothing short of this.

... Also, Mark Recchi should be inducted in the Flyers HoF this season.

Thoughts..................

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Agreed about the HoF as a Flyer, however, iffy on the jersey retirement. Howe was a staple on the Flyers for many years, Recchi was moved a few times. I wouldn't argue with it if it happened, but I just don't see it.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Recchi was a great player. I wish the Flyers had kept him around coming out of the 2005 lockout. He also holds the Flyers record for most points in a single season with 123 points. I agree and think Recchi should go into the HOF as a Flyer. As for retiring his jersey, I wouldn't be against it, but I feel like the Flyers should retire Lindros' jersey first.

RJ8812*

the HHOF isnt like isnt like Cooperstown. Players arent inducted as part of teams. They go in representing all the teams they've played for

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Has anybody wore the number 8 since Recchi left?

I'm more curious to see if they'll put Lindros in it if he makes the HOF.

grossman+arlanda.jpg

Hello.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It'll be interesting to see how the organization decides. I personally have no idea what they'd do. I certainly wouldn't be opposed.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Tough to say with Recchi. He certainly belongs in the Flyers HoF; I'm sceptical that he did enough while in Philly to have his jersey retired. He has 3 Cups, all with different organizations and he only had three superstar seasons (from an individual stats standpoint) with the Flyers.

The only non-Cup winners that I believed would get any consideration were Howe and Lindros... and I was pretty surprised the organization actually broke the mould to allow Howe's jersey to be retired.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
And Sanderson...and Fitzpatrick...

I think it has to be the Flyers. It certainly won't be the habs, which leaves Pittsburgh.

He had a really phenomenal playoff getting to their first cup, but then was shipped out at the deadline before they won the second one. I can't explain why, but that seems like it should matter. He had to watch from the golf course while the core he came up with celebrated their second in a row.

He set a Flyers record in the first run and was Lindros' right hand man in one of his most memorable seasons. His second run was very solid, 5+ productive seasons where he never missed significant time. Along with 2 memorable conference finals.

I wouldn't retire the jersey though. I'm kind of surprised people are seriously even considering that.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The Flyers should ask Recchi if he will come out of retirement and play for them.....I bet he would be more productive than Gagne and Knuble combined. Knuble has already started being benched and Gagne apart from the adrenaline of his first game back hasn't really impressed me just yet...

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
The Flyers should ask Recchi if he will come out of retirement and play for them.....I bet he would be more productive than Gagne and Knuble combined. Knuble has already started being benched and Gagne apart from the adrenaline of his first game back hasn't really impressed me just yet...

While Homer is at that, he should ask Foppa to come back too.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

The way I see it, the sad point with Knuble is actually that he doesn't have the fast skating ability that is needed for the lower role players in Lavy's System... That said, he looked okay as a fourth line winger who with Feds and Rinaldo in the Energy Line role. He has always been a grinder and is defensively responsible... it's just that Lavy prefers young fast legs. Knuble IMO though is a real good low priced depth winger who can plug in on various roles when injury calls for one. He has been used on the PK as well as PP and as a second and third line winger and as the extra man when the goalie is pulled at the end of a game. IMO he can be important over the course of the season and in the PlayOffs... if needed. It's just a shame he doesn't have the speed... but he never really did. haha

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I'm all for his induction into the Flyers Hall of Fame, but I think retiring his number isn't necessary. There have been other great #8's for the Flyers, plus Recchi never won a cup here yet has 3 elsewhere. I'm not saying I'd be against it, in fact i'd be ecstatic because he's one of my all time favorite Flyers, but I don't see the organization doing it.

Of all Flyers, I'd think Lindros has the best chance to have his number retired and that's only if he gets into the HHOF. What do y'all think Gagne's chance is at having 12 retired for him? Again, I think there can be similar arguments made as the one for Recchi (other great #12's like Kerr and Dornhoefer)

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
What do y'all think Gagne's chance is at having 12 retired for him? Again, I think there can be similar arguments made as the one for Recchi (other great #12's like Kerr and Dornhoefer)
I also think the argument is the same as the one for Recchi, but it's not that argument.

Neither of them did enough for long enough. That's all.

Even if Gagne spent his entire career here it wouldn't be enough. It wouldn't be special enough. If anyone thinks it was, may I suggest they might not be thinking that much further past their 20-25 years.

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
If the Flyers don't retire 27 for Leach, Recchi's number 8 doesn't retire. I would love for him to be placed into the Flyers' HOF, however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad