Flyers pick at #21: Claude Giroux, Gaitineau, QMJHL

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
THN report:

"Giroux's talent makes up for his frame. He can kill penalties and run the power play. 'He isn't a perimeter player," said one scout. He'll go after the puck in the corners. Giroux's confidence has grown lately and he's strong on the puck. Giroux won't be a first-line center, but he's shown a knack for scoring goals at the right time."

I wanted Ryan White, but I like what I see

gabpas

Jan 25, 2003
Aylmer
Visit site
go kim johnsson 514 said:
THN report:

"Giroux's talent makes up for his frame. He can kill penalties and run the power play. 'He isn't a perimeter player," said one scout. He'll go after the puck in the corners. Giroux's confidence has grown lately and he's strong on the puck. Giroux won't be a first-line center, but he's shown a knack for scoring goals at the right time."

I wanted Ryan White, but I like what I see

You can have all the Ryan Whites of the world for Claude Giroux. I would take Giroux any day.

bobbyboucher24

May 9, 2002
Philadelphia, USA
Visit site
kylez19 said:
clarke forgetting his name was extremely embarassing

The TSN announcer asked Lombardi about trading Pavel Kubina, and Lombardi, without correcting him, replied about liking Sullivan (no O'). Everyone makes mistakes. Before cutting away, I did hear the announcer correct himself to say Demitra.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
trippyime said:
I don't know anything about Giroux, but I like what I'm hearing.

A great, great, great player. He's a little small right now, but he's determined, extremely talented and has a gift for being in the right place at the right time. Think of a more well rounded version of Ales Hemsky and you've got Giroux.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Gotta say I love the Giroux pick the more I read about it. Soft hands, a playmaker from the wing, blinding speed, is shifty enough to escape opposing players trying to take the body against him, can make something out of nothing, doesnt shy away from the corners, kills penalties, number 1 rookie in the Q has improved all year. Sounds like a young Daniel Briere. Only downside is his size, which appears not to be a great liability in today's NHL. Of course he could be a bust, like all players taken after the top five, but a really nice prospect.

BTW, he was taken at #22

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/claude_giroux

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/draft2006/story/2646.asp

Last edited:

Lupul*

I'm happy about this pick. He seems like a great hockey player with a good attitude.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
when we picked this guy up i didnt know much about him. really good to see that he has the talent and skills that we need. very happy to see that he is fast and a good play maker wouldnt mid seeing him fedding carter down the line.

Question though: Is he NHL ready yet? If not what is the time frame we should be looking at?

also i think that the Stall family fed steriods and ran hockey boot camp for all thier kids :sarcasm:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The more I keep thinking about this the more I like it. While it is highly unlikely that every one of these prospects will still be ours come this time next year, instead of draft picks to move, we have actual players to develop.

habslife

Jul 20, 2005
Close to the Sens
Flyersphan said:
when we picked this guy up i didnt know much about him. really good to see that he has the talent and skills that we need. very happy to see that he is fast and a good play maker wouldnt mid seeing him fedding carter down the line.

Question though: Is he NHL ready yet? If not what is the time frame we should be looking at?

also i think that the Stall family fed steriods and ran hockey boot camp for all thier kids :sarcasm:

I saw him play a few times in Gatineau and he won't be NHL ready before a couple of years, but we never know? We have seen surprises before (Gagné or Bergeron: I am not comparing Giroux with those two, don't shoot me).

Don't worry too much about his size because he likes to be involve in the play and can take a hit to make a play or to finish it. He is talented and has great vision on the ice. That is a player you can count on for big goals because he is confident and he can make a difference. I have to disagree with a previous post that said he was like a more well rounded version of Ales Hemsky. I saw both in Gatineau and Hemsky is definitely the most talented of the two. But we never know, talent isn't everything.

Good pick.

FlyersFanJS

Feb 1, 2006
Hellertown, PA
i like the kid, but he would definately have been around in the second round IMO, i think they could have either traded the 1st or selected someone else and still picked him up in the second round...however, as long as he can beef up that 160lb frame a bit, his speed and skating will really be well-tuned for the new NHL

jb**

Panasonic Youth said:
I like it... the rest of the draft not so much.
would have liked Nigel williams, briam strait, ojoey ryan or Artem anisomov

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
habslife said:
I saw him play a few times in Gatineau and he won't be NHL ready before a couple of years, but we never know? We have seen surprises before (Gagné or Bergeron: I am not comparing Giroux with those two, don't shoot me).

Don't worry too much about his size because he likes to be involve in the play and can take a hit to make a play or to finish it. He is talented and has great vision on the ice. That is a player you can count on for big goals because he is confident and he can make a difference. I have to disagree with a previous post that said he was like a more well rounded version of Ales Hemsky. I saw both in Gatineau and Hemsky is definitely the most talented of the two. But we never know, talent isn't everything.

Good pick.

I've lived in the Ottawa area most of my life and I've seen Hemsky and Giroux. Giroux is an awful lot like Hemsky. Both are offensive dynamos their draft year. Remember, this was Giroux's first year in Major Junior hockey and he put up amazing numbers. The thing is that the numbers will only get better. The one thing that kind of concerns me with Giroux is that he is light. If he can gain 15 pounds and if it doesn't cost him his speed, then he'll be a much better player.

If Giroux were 6'1/185 pounds, nobody would be complaining about him being a first round pick. I really like him though and he's going to look real good on a line with either Carter and Umberger, Richards and Ruzicka, or Gagne and whoever his center will be.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
habslife said:

Good pick.

It seems like the biggest "knock" on the guy would be his small frame. Does it seem like this kid can take a hit or two? If this guy can show us that he has the talent we've already talked about AND can hang in there with the rest of them, then I REALLY like the pick.

Reactions: dingbathero

mikedifr

Jul 5, 2004
NJ
Like the pick. Not too concerned about the size in the NHL anymore, especially considering he is only 18 years old. If it is close to the 169 pounds they list him at, he only really needs to put on about 15 pounds I think he will be fine. At 18 years old, it shouldnt be hard to put on 15 punds of muscle in the next two years and long as he works with the right staff (meaning keep him away from the Flyers training staff :sarcasm: )

Looks to me like he could be the RW to Carter in the future.

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
I saw Giroux 40 games last season.
This guy is a magician with the puck.
He will take some time to fully develop but in my view, he will eventually have Flyers' fans in a frenzy.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I am very happy with the pick based on what I am reading. I was hoping for Summers or Strait and got real excited when I saw Sanguinetti drop (but I told my son that the Blue Skirts would take him right in front). I wish they would have grabbed Strait in the second, but they know more than me.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
The league has changed. If they're not going to allow clutch and grab then we're back to the days hen small and fast will blow by big and slow... or draw a penalty - which aint bad either. (If we had a PP worth anything)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->