Flyers' overrated young blueliners

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Remember when HFBoards tried saying Ghostisbere > Rielly?

LMAO

Yeah, they're still saying it. Because it's true. Rielly is guaranteed to have very high goals against. Even if he is as productive as Ghost (hasn't done it yet), he's a worse player overall.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Yeah, they're still saying it. Because it's true. Rielly is guaranteed to have very high goals against. Even if he is as productive as Ghost (hasn't done it yet), he's a worse player overall.
Reilly is overrated by Leafs fans, but Ghost is a horrible defensive player.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Elite offense (at least the top 6), below average defense, horrible goaltending. Typical Flyers.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
my feeling about our season
nzkEELQ.png

Reactions: God Bless Mr Coffee

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
The team quit on the coach tonight. The Flyers are in extreme crisis mode. The players have had enough of Hakstol.

Not exactly a great night to make sweeping judgements on players just because you saw them one game televised nationally during a team wide meltdown.

Flyers fans have been saying forever Hakstol is the main problem here.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think any “modern” defenseman makes a lot of defensive blunders because they’ve got the puck more and take more risks. The best ones create way more chances than they give up though. I know I’m oversimplifying.

Reactions: Chips

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I think any “modern” defenseman makes a lot of defensive blunders because they’ve got the puck more and take more risks. The best ones create way more chances than they give up though. I know I’m oversimplifying.
Not even by that much tho, it’s pretty close to the exact truth.

You still want guys who’ll block a lot of shots and all that good stuff for certain situations, but transition game is the big difference between “good” defensive teams who sit back and stifle opponents and just manage to win, and the mobile passing/offensive defensman who excel at the transition game.

That was behing the Caps “great” defense last year. They were awful at preventing high danger chances (2nd worst *IN THE PAST DECADE*) but they recovered after and move the puck out so well. Overall in the game you want those defensman, you shouldn’t be in a position often that you need Orpik (prime) type guys loading your roster.

Arguably Orlov, Carlson, Niskanen and on taking chances led to some of those high danger chances against... but it clearly paid off. Almost every Caps defensman was primarily a good puck mover. So having a decent goalie is a must, (tho when isn’t it?). Good luck flyers

Example: Orlov is not especially great at traditional defense, but he can skate the puck from his net all the way up the ice and make it look easy. He’s very much legit top 4 D, but his occasional mistake will cost his team... but he succeed more often than not.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
You'd think these guys were all going to be future superstars.

All blue chippers to the max.

Half are busting. The other half will be decent, but I'm not seeing elite there.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
How about Eddie O saying Provarov should change his stick? I can imagine saying that to his face.

But yeah flyers fans overrated them again just like Richards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad