Flyers' overrated young blueliners

Status
Not open for further replies.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Well Im not saying Provorov is bad, He is just not as good and impactful as projected by some early in his carreer and Im not saying Philly's young D core is bad either, just not nearly as good or promising as anticipated some years ago... Sure awful goaltending doesnt help but everytimes I watch them, their blueline is just disapointing as a whole... I think they should be much better considering how much firepower they have in front, a center line made of Couturier and Patrick as the main pieces is easily above average, their depth and skills on the wings is among the best in the league with Voracek Giroux Simmonds Konecny Laughton... No reason this team isnt better even with Elliot in net...

Last year, Provorov was a 20/21 year old #1 all situations (except PP2 instead of PP1, because Ghost) defenseman who led the league in goals scored from the blue line while 24 year old Ghost was putting up 65 points en route to finishing 10th in Norris voting. Sanheim was nearly a point per f***ing game in the AHL last season and this season should have 6 points in 9 games in extremely limited icetime but was robbed of an assist against Ottawa and was arguably our best player tonight. Phil Myers was near .5 PPG as a rookie pro in the A last season. What the f*** more are you looking for?

The team is handicapped by awful coaching and awful goaltending. It ain't gonna change until that changes.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Yeah the Flyers' problems have literally nothing to do with these guys. Sanheim was off and on last season but he's been great this year, big good-skating defenseman with great hands and instincts. Provorov has had a rough start but he's Doughty-light when he's on his game and I don't doubt he'll get his wheels turning soon. Ghost is coming off a 65 point season and is maybe even underrated as a defensive player-he has no size to speak of but his wheels and incredible stick work allow him to break up tons of plays the average NHL D-man has no chance on.

It all goes back to coaching and other personnel. The team is badly coached and outside of those 3 pretty much it runs out 3 other shlubs every night (Gudas, MacDonald, Hagg, Folin, take your pick), and usually at least one of these youngsters is forced to skate around with a bonafide #7 guy playing top 4 minutes.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Everyone knows Ghost & Provorov are very good.

Sanheim has been looking incredible this year. He was the best player on the ice tonight for the Flyers by a country mile. He's been our best defenseman this year.

Myers is the next most hyped one and he's still TBD, but has all the tools and is off to a good start this year in the AHL. He's only 21 years old and Hextall is notoriously slow to promote young players. Especially since our blueline is so young already.

Morin was hurt almost all of last year & again is out until February. He's not looking great, obviously.

So... I'm not sure why this thread exists. 3 high end guys in the NHL looking very good. Myers will join soon.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I recall watching Provorov at the Memorial cup, quietly thinking that this kid was soooo overrated while alot of people were praising him as a top end prospect lol, well about 3 years later, he didnt do anything to prove me wrong and doubt about my scepticism, vanilla player to say the least

Umm Provorov led all D in goals last year. And he did it without getting top PP minutes. You clearly don’t watch many games if you think he hasn’t shown anything.

Ghost is coming off a 65 point year.

Sanheim was phenomenal tonight. He’s getting better and better. Kid is gonna be great.

And Morin is hurt. He hasn’t had a chance yet.

How about people stop overreacting after a handful of games? It’s OCTOBER ffs. Relax already.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
That's what happens when your coaching staff tries to turn your young dmen into next jay bouwmeester.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Lets talk about it, Flyers spent a couple of high picks over the past couple of years drafting D prospects and outside of Gostisbehere selected in the third round of the 2012 draft, no one is looking very good... I recall watching Provorov at the Memorial cup, quietly thinking that this kid was soooo overrated while alot of people were praising him as a top end prospect lol, well about 3 years later, he didnt do anything to prove me wrong and doubt about my scepticism, vanilla player to say the least, he is average at everything, gets beat defensively and doesnt generate much offensively... Sanheim 17th overall, Morin 11 th overall, how disappointing it must be for the fans while they were all thinking that their scouting staff was building an elite blueline no long ago... My point here is not to troll anyone, Im just pointing out something that is becoming evident for any hockey fan, Flyers' young D core is simply not very good and certainly overrated! Lets hope Carter Hart becomes a solid number one, cause they really need it!

Lmao. If he hasn't done anything to prove you wrong you clearly haven't been watching. Provorov went in and played as a legit top pairing defenseman as a 19/20 year old rookie(!) and scored 30 points. That's incredibly rare. The next year he continued on that path and scored 17 goals (tied for 1st among defensemen with Hedman and Hamilton) and 41 points while being solid defensively (+17 in tough minutes IIRC). So yeah, your bolded statement couldn't be more wrong. Nice try though.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Remember when every main board thread didn't get turned into a Leaves thread by a Leaf fan?

As for the OP, a lot of NHL teams would love to have a defense consisting of Philly's "overrated young blueliners"
That'll never stop until the fans of every team stop comparing themselves to the leafs.

Reactions: Volcanologist

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Lets talk about it, Flyers spent a couple of high picks over the past couple of years drafting D prospects and outside of Gostisbehere selected in the third round of the 2012 draft, no one is looking very good... I recall watching Provorov at the Memorial cup, quietly thinking that this kid was soooo overrated while alot of people were praising him as a top end prospect lol, well about 3 years later, he didnt do anything to prove me wrong and doubt about my scepticism, vanilla player to say the least, he is average at everything, gets beat defensively and doesnt generate much offensively... Sanheim 17th overall, Morin 11 th overall, how disappointing it must be for the fans while they were all thinking that their scouting staff was building an elite blueline no long ago... My point here is not to troll anyone, Im just pointing out something that is becoming evident for any hockey fan, Flyers' young D core is simply not very good and certainly overrated! Lets hope Carter Hart becomes a solid number one, cause they really need it!

This is a bad collection of words.

Ghost, Provorov and Sanheim are awesome. Myers will be pretty great. Hagg is a solid third liner.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Well Im not saying Provorov is bad, He is just not as good and impactful as projected by some early in his carreer and Im not saying Philly's young D core is bad either, just not nearly as good or promising as anticipated some years ago... Sure awful goaltending doesnt help but everytimes I watch them, their blueline is just disapointing as a whole... I think they should be much better considering how much firepower they have in front, a center line made of Couturier and Patrick as the main pieces is easily above average, their depth and skills on the wings is among the best in the league with Voracek Giroux Simmonds Konecny Laughton... No reason this team isnt better even with Elliot in net...

Provorov. Lead. The. League. In. Defenseman. Goals. Last. Season.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
All I have to say is that I would love to have Provorov play for the team I cheer for. Some of these "hot takes" are really uniformed and really unimpressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->