Rumor: Flyers/Oilers about Yakupov

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
It was mentioned in yesterday's Edmonton Journal:

Q: What’s up with the rumours out of Philadelphia — Yakupov for a forward and a defenceman?

A: It’s news to me. This seems like fantasyland stuff. What are they giving the Oilers? Sean Couturier or Brayden Schenn at centre and Braydon Coburn on defence? The Oilers and Flyers talked about Coburn at the NHL entry draft and afterwards as a second-pairing guy, but couldn’t come to a deal. Hemsky’s name has come up there, but he’s a $5-million player.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/spor...llo+faceoffs+Gagner+better/9039734/story.html

Source: Jim Matheson, Edmonton Journal

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
At this point there's not much to give away. They would likely want at least one D involved and we can't really spare any besides Meszaros who I doubt they would want as a centerpiece. I'd be more then willing to trade B. Schenn but we also have Luke on our team which makes things awkward.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I think its too early in the season to talk about trading Couturier. If he continues to underwhelm, than you have to start thinking of a change of scenery for him.

RJ8812*

Make it happen. Just keep the Schenns, Couturier, Hagg, and Morin.

good luck getting him without giving up them and a future first round pick

the guy is a year removed from being the #1 pick and lead rookies in points as a 19 year old

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I think its too early in the season to talk about trading Couturier. If he continues to underwhelm, than you have to start thinking of a change of scenery for him.

I disagree. Couturier has barely seen favourable scenery in Philadelphia to establish himself. It's the scenery here that needs to change to Couturier, Schenn and the other youngsters.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA

The guy is 20 years old. I don't understand how a player who is contributing on the 3rd line at that age can underwhelm.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I disagree. Couturier has barely seen favourable scenery in Philadelphia to establish himself. It's the scenery here that needs to change to Couturier, Schenn and the other youngsters.

Believe me, I'm all for letting Couts develop, but he's been down right bad lately.

But if the team is awful by the break, and he's not doing much better (and has been given offensive production opportunities) you have to start worrying about his development.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He's a top ten pick, third year in the league, plenty of good reasons to keep monitoring his development.

He's already one of the most productive 3rd liners in the league, judging by last year, while playing incredibly difficult minutes. And he's 20, as has been mentioned. He's not close to his peak yet.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Looking back (with the ability of hindsight of course) I feel it would have been better for the Flyers to send Couts back to his junior team and then a year or so in the AHL. I mean yes he had a fantastic rookie year and playoff run but I feel like if they gave him more time before letting him make the team he would have avoided the sophomore slump he had. He would have been getting the offensive minutes he needed to help develop that part of his game even further. It's clear the worst thing to do was let Lavi anywhere near him. Who would have known that then though? Like I said hindsight I guess.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Looking back (with the ability of hindsight of course) I feel it would have been better for the Flyers to send Couts back to his junior team and then a year or so in the AHL. I mean yes he had a fantastic rookie year and playoff run but I feel like if they gave him more time before letting him make the team he would have avoided the sophomore slump he had. He would have been getting the offensive minutes he needed to help develop that part of his game even further. It's clear the worst thing to do was let Lavi anywhere near him. Who would have known that then though? Like I said hindsight I guess.

He wasn't allowed in the AHL and I don't know how much more he could have improved his offensive game in juniors considering he dominated for 2 straight seasons. If they want offensive production out of him, they should play him with players capable of producing.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
He wasn't allowed in the AHL and I don't know how much more he could have improved his offensive game in juniors considering he dominated for 2 straight seasons. If they want offensive production out of him, they should play him with players capable of producing.

they should stick him at 1c and move giroux to LW

i wouldnt even consider trading cooter until he turns 23

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
they should stick him at 1c and move giroux to LW

i wouldnt even consider trading cooter until he turns 23

The only reason Torts split up The Twins was to get one away from Couturier (and Grossmann) according to his press conference!

santapore

Oct 11, 2010
i have a gut feeling that tomorrow phi trades laughton+coburn+pick (2) for yakupov. i said to my friend about this last weekend. tho i said mezsaros was the defender because yakupov and mez was healthy scratch(same time). will see what happen...maybe nothing.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
This is a bs rumor started by some dude on twitter with a track record as good as Eklund. Edmonton is looking for a goalie right now. Who knows what the Flyers think they need.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL

He is a fantastic center who plays 3rd toughest minutes in the league. Your statement is not warranted.

Coburn/Mez
Talbot
2014 3rd
2015 1st

Yak
Klefbom

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->