Flyers number 2 ranked prospect group

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I don't expect two firsts for Simmonds. But no reason you can't get a first, rental or not, on a playoff team if he's healthy, he's incredibly valuable.

Honestly, too valuable and if he's healthy, and the Flyers are a playoff bound team, I don't see Hextall even moving him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm still not sure if the Schenn trade was Hextall taking the long view or just didn't really want to keep paying Schenn, or if St. Louis decided to come with an aggressive offer.

Either way, it's helped, but it's this type of view that Hextall needs to ever for him to continuously hit. I mean, most of us think that Simmonds should return another 1st, which again could give Hextall two first rounders, but not sure if he's thinking that.

The ROR and Skinner trades make the Schenn trade look even better too.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
It is impressive that they are still #2 ranked considering they had some top guys graduate since last year. Having Sanheim, Patrick, TK, and Provorov on your NHL team and still having the second best prospect pool is pretty amazing.

That said, Hak dont care. Vets all day!

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
It is impressive that they are still #2 ranked considering they had some top guys graduate since last year. Having Sanheim, Patrick, TK, and Provorov on your NHL team and still having the second best prospect pool is pretty amazing.

That said, Hak dont care. Vets all day!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't expect two firsts for Simmonds. But no reason you can't get a first, rental or not, on a playoff team if he's healthy, he's incredibly valuable.

Honestly, too valuable and if he's healthy, and the Flyers are a playoff bound team, I don't see Hextall even moving him.
The fact that he has value to a playoff team is exactly why he isn’t getting traded.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
So trade Simmonds, then trade for a playoff rental?

Simmonds is your playoff rental. They’re trying to win, he’s not getting traded for picks.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So trade Simmonds, then trade for a playoff rental?

Simmonds is your playoff rental. They’re trying to win, he’s not getting traded for picks.
Yeah essentially, they gave Simmonds extension to JVR....who is 2 years younger and abetter ES scorer. And also allowed this season to have both guys to help the team and bridge to the kids.

Losing Simmonds for nothing became tolerable when we added JVR for nothing.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Yeah essentially, they gave Simmonds extension to JVR....who is 2 years younger and abetter ES scorer. And also allowed this season to have both guys to help the team and bridge to the kids.

Losing Simmonds for nothing became tolerable when we added JVR for nothing.

giphy.gif

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
only way Simmonds gets traded is if the team is out of a playoff spot right before the trade deadline.

Reactions: Tripod

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I am coming to terms with the idea that playing into the playoffs with Simmonds and letting him walk would be the best outcome. It means the team is looking to get past the first round at least. I know from an asset management standpoint that it would be best to deal him for as much as Hextall can bring in, but a lot can be said about being as competitive as they can be.

GB said it right that Simmonds would be the playoff rental.

RebusFlyer

May 21, 2017
From the link: "Constructing the league's deepest prospect pool hasn't been easy, as the Flyers haven't won a playoff round in six years."

No matter how I try to parse this sentence, it doesn't make sense to me. Is he saying that the Flyers haven't won a playoff round in six years because they constructed the league's deepest prospect pool? That makes no sense to me. Is he saying it was difficult to construct the league's deepest prospect pool because the Flyers haven't won a playoff round in six years? That also doesn't make any sense to me. Any ideas for how that sentence makes sense? Sitting in the Ox, hoping for enlightenment.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It doesn't, so have another drink.

I think what makes more sense is "Constructing the league's deepest prospect pool hasn't been easy, as the Flyers made the playoffs 2 of 4 years with Hextall as GM, instead of tanking."

They got lucky with Patrick, but the rest of the prospects were just good trades/good drafting.
The key is not only did Hextall add extra 1st rd picks (8 in 5 drafts), but he's drafted well in the 3rd and later rounds, adding numbers "depth" players to fill out the bottom six and 3rd pair without having to overpay washed up veterans. If Sushko "merely" turns out to be the next Raffl, that's a fine pick, and so on.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
To the OP, I have a hard time putting much credibility into a ranking system that so oddly ranks the Flyers prospects. Top 5 is still laudable considering the Big Three on D have graduated, along with Lindblom and Konecny.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
So Corey Pronman is taking a burlesque approach to his team prospect ranking. I am starting a low-impact eyeball exercise program to avoid straining them with excess rolling while reading his Flyers write-up; however, it should at least provide a counterpoint to the presently analyzed #2 rank. Is there anyone in the Flyers' system that Pronman likes? High-end talent versus depth, conservative on goalies, as per his criteria; I'm expecting somewhere around #10.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So Corey Pronman is taking a burlesque approach to his team prospect ranking. I am starting a low-impact eyeball exercise program to avoid straining them with excess rolling while reading his Flyers write-up; however, it should at least provide a counterpoint to the presently analyzed #2 rank. Is there anyone in the Flyers' system that Pronman likes? High-end talent versus depth, conservative on goalies, as per his criteria; I'm expecting somewhere around #10.

Pronman is less of an expert than many of our members here.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I'm not going to take a shot at Pronman. I'll just say he has his way of looking at things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad