Flyers number 2 ranked prospect group

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Not really sure this is deserving of its own thread but......

Always nice to see more praise.

Farabee as our #1 prospect is..interesting..lol

Vecchione #8 over Rat and Allison is just amusing.

On the main boards thread, the author not only used the closeness argument but straight up called him a future top 6 talent.

comment_jSbSTzOY7oO8jqECOL7ihCE25NYyLXuO.gif

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Vecchione strikes me more an AAAA player than an NHL top sixer.

He cited production & closeness to the NHL but NAK outproduced him last year as a 21-22 year old opposed to a 24-25 year old. Now he played 7 more games but he didn’t get the PP role like Vecchione did though. I would say NAK has more translateable talent too with his speed & shot.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Vecchione is tweener, not good enough to permanently crack an NHL roster.
We are more or less talking a finished product at 25 years old.

Reactions: kostas

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
There doesn't seem to be another team that has as many prospects with safe NHL upside. The depth is silly.

How many of the top 30 Flyers prospects will graduate to the NHL for any number of games? How many safely project as regulars?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I can understand the argument for the Frizbee at #1 (though I disagree), but Vecchione in the top ten is bonkers. Aside from the fact that he'll be 26 this season and not exactly a favorite to make the team, I don't think anyone expects him to be anything more than a fourth liner that can probably play the third line or PK if needed in short stints.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
I can understand the argument for the Frizbee at #1 (though I disagree), but Vecchione in the top ten is bonkers. Aside from the fact that he'll be 26 this season and not exactly a favorite to make the team, I don't think anyone expects him to be anything more than a fourth liner that can probably play the third line or PK if needed in short stints.

Are we calling him that because of his two way game?

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Thats just a terrible list. And I'm not just talking about the list overall, but more so the actual rankings of Flyers prospects. Just another sports website that knows f*** all about hockey

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
From the link:

2. Philadelphia Flyers

It's easy to lose track of how many general managers talk about the importance of building a deep farm system. But count on Ron Hextall as being one of the few who has been patient enough to actually go through with the process of stockpiling picks and allowing them to develop properly. Constructing the league's deepest prospect pool hasn't been easy, as the Flyers haven't won a playoff round in six years. Yet still, the future is extremely bright. Not only for the young stars already playing the NHL, but also for selecting elite youngsters outside of the top 10 like goalie Carter Hart, center Morgan Frost and super-slick winger Joel Farabee.

PROSPECTPOSITION2018-19 TEAM (Proj.)ACQUIRED
1. Joel FarabeeLWBoston U. (NCAA)1st/2018
2. Carter HartGLehigh Valley (AHL)2nd/2016
3. Philippe MyersRHDLehigh Valley (AHL)UDFA
4. Morgan FrostCSault Ste. Marie (OHL)1st/2017
5. Oskar LindblomLWPhiladelphia (NHL)5th/2014
6. German RubstovCLehigh Valley (AHL)1st/2016
7. Jay O'BrienCProvidence (NCAA)1st/2018
8. Mike VecchioneC/WLehigh Valley (AHL)UDFA
9. Isaac RatcliffeLWGuelph (AHL)2nd/2017
10. Wade AllisonRWW. Michigan (NCAA)2nd/2016
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Source link: NHL farm system rankings: Best, worst prospect pipelines for 2018-19, from 1 to 31

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
From the link:

2. Philadelphia Flyers

It's easy to lose track of how many general managers talk about the importance of building a deep farm system. But count on Ron Hextall as being one of the few who has been patient enough to actually go through with the process of stockpiling picks and allowing them to develop properly. Constructing the league's deepest prospect pool hasn't been easy, as the Flyers haven't won a playoff round in six years. Yet still, the future is extremely bright. Not only for the young stars already playing the NHL, but also for selecting elite youngsters outside of the top 10 like goalie Carter Hart, center Morgan Frost and super-slick winger Joel Farabee.

PROSPECTPOSITION2018-19 TEAM (Proj.)ACQUIRED
1. Joel FarabeeLWBoston U. (NCAA)1st/2018
2. Carter HartGLehigh Valley (AHL)2nd/2016
3. Philippe MyersRHDLehigh Valley (AHL)UDFA
4. Morgan FrostCSault Ste. Marie (OHL)1st/2017
5. Oskar LindblomLWPhiladelphia (NHL)5th/2014
6. German RubstovCLehigh Valley (AHL)1st/2016
7. Jay O'BrienCProvidence (NCAA)1st/2018
8. Mike VecchioneC/WLehigh Valley (AHL)UDFA
9. Isaac RatcliffeLWGuelph (AHL)2nd/2017
10. Wade AllisonRWW. Michigan (NCAA)2nd/2016
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Source link: NHL farm system rankings: Best, worst prospect pipelines for 2018-19, from 1 to 31
buscemi-wtf.gif

kostas

Jul 18, 2018
There doesn't seem to be another team that has as many prospects with safe NHL upside. The depth is silly.

How many of the top 30 Flyers prospects will graduate to the NHL for any number of games? How many safely project as regulars?
in my opinion, it's not even worth looking past the top 10 prospect list. In reality, it's probably not even worth looking past the top 5. After that, you aren't usually seeing a significant player that will impact your team

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think normally that's correct, it's hard to think of a prospect not in the Flyers top ten who had an impact in the past.
But the last couple years, that may have changed, at least in the short-term.
I won't be surprised if 3-4 of the players from 11-25 play for the Flyers (or are packaged as important part of trades) in the next 2-3 years.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I saw this a few days ago and thought, ok, kind of like same ole same ole. But then you step back and realize when the Flyers were being lauded, Provy, TK, and Sanheim were still in juniors, Lindblom was starting to blow up in Sweden.

Now all these guys are on the team and the Flyers are STILL a top team in terms of prospects.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You mean because our prospects almost outscored the entire Canadian junior team?
Two years ago we dominated WJC-20, all those guys graduated.
So this year we only have Frost, Rafcliffe, Farabee, O'Brien, Cates, Ginning, Lycksell, Sushko, Ustimenko/Ersson.

Tough to deal with when the big club only had 98 points and added the 2nd best FA on July 1.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
You mean because our prospects almost outscored the entire Canadian junior team?
Two years ago we dominated WJC-20, all those guys graduated.
So this year we only have Frost, Rafcliffe, Farabee, O'Brien, Cates, Ginning, Lycksell, Sushko, Ustimenko/Ersson.

Tough to deal with when the big club only had 98 points and added the 2nd best FA on July 1.

You are exactly right that once Hakstok gets out of the way, we could really be going places.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I saw this a few days ago and thought, ok, kind of like same ole same ole. But then you step back and realize when the Flyers were being lauded, Provy, TK, and Sanheim were still in juniors, Lindblom was starting to blow up in Sweden.

Now all these guys are on the team and the Flyers are STILL a top team in terms of prospects.

It’s pretty incredible really. It took trading schenn for two firsts that hit and hitting with Hart. It’s not really supposed to happen this way. The flyers really haven’t missed much for years and that includes high picks like Patrick and Provy to the later picks like Ghost and Lindblom.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
It’s pretty incredible really. It took trading schenn for two firsts that hit and hitting with Hart. It’s not really supposed to happen this way. The flyers really haven’t missed much for years and that includes high picks like Patrick and Provy to the later picks like Ghost and Lindblom.

I'm still not sure if the Schenn trade was Hextall taking the long view or just didn't really want to keep paying Schenn, or if St. Louis decided to come with an aggressive offer.

Either way, it's helped, but it's this type of view that Hextall needs to ever for him to continuously hit. I mean, most of us think that Simmonds should return another 1st, which again could give Hextall two first rounders, but not sure if he's thinking that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think the Schenn trade was a combination of factors, on the Flyers, Schenn was a 3rd line player, wasn't going to beat out Voracek at RW and TK and Simmonds were pushing him. at cemter. was behind Giroux and Couts. Once the Flyers got #2 and knew they were getting Nico or Patrick, I think Schenn was history.

Then Ron fell in love with Frost, so when St Louis was willing to deal, he got rid of a player who was overpriced for his role, got the prospect he wanted and a late round pick the next year (which became Farabee, a bit of luck).

Simmonds is a different matter, won't get the return that Schenn did (1 year deal on a player with injury issues) and has more value to the team this year (now a real playoff team that needs to field a decent 3rd line and the kids are a year or two away).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->