Flyers lost their charm for Philadelphia fans

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Fans don’t come to see coaches coach. The Flyers are going to have to win under Quenneville for anyone to actually care.

No one said they did. But bringing in a cup winning coach at least shows that the team is serious about competing and will bring back a decent portion of the fanbase that went missing this year. Then, its up the to coach and players to keep them there. No one really got excited about Nolan Patrick except for the people that were mostly die hard fans and were going to go to games/watch anyway. Eeven if the flyers got Hughes, he isnt a 'mcdavid' level prospect that casual fans would want to go see. He just doesnt have that hype.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
No one said they did. But bringing in a cup winning coach at least shows that the team is serious about competing and will bring back a decent portion of the fanbase that went missing this year. Then, its up the to coach and players to keep them there. No one really got excited about Nolan Patrick except for the people that were mostly die hard fans and were going to go to games/watch anyway. Eeven if the flyers got Hughes, he isnt a 'mcdavid' level prospect that casual fans would want to go see. He just doesnt have that hype.
Hughes isn’t on the same level of McDavid but has way more buzz than Patrick did. You had some scouts questioning whether Patrick only topped out as a first line center. He would be a lot easier of a sell.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Hughes isn’t on the same level of McDavid but has way more buzz than Patrick did. You had some scouts questioning whether Patrick only topped out as a first line center. He would be a lot easier of a sell.

More fanfare to Hughes than Patrick, sure. But he's still not enough of a 'talent' to draw crowds on his own. People stopped coming because the team stopped winning and they played boring ass hockey to boot. Get someone who will provide actual entertainment and a better chance of winning and you're good to go. Hughes isn't a 'step in and make your team tremendously better' type of guy, from what i've seen, unless your team is just really bad to begin with (and the flyers shouldnt be next year, with a decent coach).

As an aside - getting Hughes would be great, and i fully recognize this is a good problem to have and we would find a spot but - where does he play if we win the lottery? Assuming G moves back to Couturier's LW, that still leaves Patrick and presumabley Frost at C next year. I know theres been talk that he may need to transition to wing anyway, but wasnt he playing a little RW in the WJC? Thats a crowded lineup if it were to happen (as i already stated, im sure they would find a way to make it work, just curious).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Just win baby.

As soon as they start winning again, the bandwagon fans will come out of the woodwork, like cockroaches, as usual.

And with the talent on the way, it will be hard for even a mediocre coach not to make the playoffs and win a round or two.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
bandwagon fans are the smartest ones
just think of how much time you [me and us] have wasted posting about this mediocre team over the last decade or so

Yeah, I used to have a distaste for bandwagon fans but I’ve grown into a pseudo one myself. Hopped on the Phillies bandwagon when they were winning championships then jumped off. Watched less Flyers games last year, haven’t watched more than a period at a time since a bit before Hak was fired.

Honestly, it’s a much better balance of life and a much smarter investment of energy and two and a half hours of time when the organization has no clue and the team isn’t worth it. I think posting on here, being in four fantasy leagues, being up to date on news, listening to podcasts, and having followed as long as I have precludes me from being a full bandwagoner no matter how much I don’t watch. Band wagoners really are the smart and sane ones. Being devoted tends to end up with a team abusing it at some point too.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
i commented earlier that I';d have no interest in the Flyers if I were a teenage boy.

But if the Flyers were to make a big splash this off-season things would change.

During the mid 90's to about 2000 the Flyers were the main topic on WIP. The Phillies were only discussed for someone to rant, and the Sixers were a non factor.
The Lindros element made them the hottest story in town.

There's been nothing to capture the imagination. If some big star becomes available, the Flyers have the prospect depth and the need to go all in for it.
So basically the Flyers were more popular than the Phillies and Sixers in the 90s/00s but that was because of the star hype around Lindros, it was inflated?

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
So basically the Flyers were more popular than the Phillies and Sixers in the 90s/00s but that was because of the star hype around Lindros, it was inflated?

i don't know.
I guess I'm the wrong person to ask because during those times in lived in northeast philly, south jersey and roxborough.
All three areas were heavily into the Flyers. So it seemed to me that the Flyers were big time during that period.

During the mid to late 80's, everyday in school kids were talking "Flyers this, Flyers. Hextall, Lindbergh, Howe, kerr, propp, tochet, zezel, etccc. "
Just my perspective

But other people tell me hardly anyone liked them, especially talk radio.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018

Frankly the entire hockey is niche sport rhetoric began with Mike Missenelli on WIP.
He hates hockey. He loves basketball. And from listenning to him it was obvious he was jealous of the attention give the Flyers from the 70's through the Lindros era.

THis notion of one sport being a niche and another sport being superior was in people's mindsets until WIP during the late 90's, early 2000's.

Growing up I never watched a basketball or hockey game saying, "Gee this is interesting but 80% of my sporting interest goes to baseball and football."

on another note, Sports talk changed from its present state compared to the late 80's/early 90's.

I recall conversations on WIP about topics like discussing the implications of St. Louis signing Scott Stevens to an offer sheet. Conversations about trade deadline moves by the penguins around 1991.
Not just hockey, but similar conversations in all sports.

IT used to be interesting discussion. Now its degenerated into all eagles talk and mocking someone who isn't 100% eagles all the time.
Gone from an adult level conversation to 5 yr old level

Last edited:

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Frankly the entire hockey is niche sport rhetoric began with Mike Missenelli on WIP.
He hates hockey. He loves basketball. And from listenning to him it was obvious he was jealous of the attention give the Flyers from the 70's through the Lindros era.

THis notion of one sport being a niche and another sport being superior was in people's mindsets until WIP during the late 90's, early 2000's.

Growing up I never watched a basketball or hockey game saying, "Gee this is interesting but 80% of my sporting interest goes to baseball and football."

on another note, Sports talk changed from its present state compared to the late 80's/early 90's.

I recall conversations on WIP about topics like discussing the implications of St. Louis signing Scott Stevens to an offer sheet. Conversations about trade deadline moves by the penguins around 1991.
Not just hockey, but similar conversations in all sports.

IT used to be interesting discussion. Now its degenerated into all eagles talk and mocking someone who isn't 100% eagles all the time.
Gone from an adult level conversation to 5 yr old level
He turned into Eskin when Eskin wasn't on in the evenings. I can't listen to him. I used to leave Eskin on at work just to make people work faster. If you want Eskin turned off, then you have to finish. I remember "Bitchanelli" (that's all he does) tearing into Myrtetus about watching a Flyers game over the 1st rd of March madness in a lower seeded game. He has to lord over everyone. He then trashed hockey and said each team should have 2 goalies playing. A double sided net. Open in the front and back. I get the whole bandwagon fan thing in sports but you can't trash the entire sport and then jump on when the team is good which is what we all know he'll do. Then he'll tell us how he's forgotten more about hockey than all of us know. Sometimes I'd rather them not talk hockey anymore because all it does is get trashed. Harry Mayes would trash the sport non-stop.

Reactions: phlflyer1

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I've always hated Eskin, from when I was a kid and actually hated WIP when my dad had it on in the car, to when I became a teenager and just couldn't stand him cause he sucks and is a pompus ass.

But about Missenelli, whom is the suck, I remember back when he was working with Steve Fredericks (late 90s/early 00s), they had the first night shift after Howard wrapped up the afternoon drive. The two of them would talk hockey if folks wanted, and actually do game by game analysis.

When is the last time anyone heard someone on the radio naturally talk about a Flyers game by detail of game action, period by period?

Ugh, all the talk about Eagles on the radio actually lessens my fan appeal for the team day in and day out. I'm a band wagon Eagles fan now, my wife is the diehard. Flyers, PSU, Sixers, Philadelphia.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
I think this era is ending now. We're pushing for playoffs and next year we'll be strong for sure. Draft nerds should find another team to root for.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Missanelli used to have this thing where he called the Flyers fans "Stepford" fans.

I remember one year when Lindros got hurt close to playoff time and he and Eskin were mocking Flyers fans.

The morning show did a lot of Flyers stuff though, with Morganti.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Its sad that a show like Daily News Live/Philly Sports Talk got cancelled because people today prefer to watch an addition hour of a radio show. They would rather hear Miss stir the pot and hear morons call in then see guests like Didinger or Salsbury talk about sports.

I guess this is charged political climate we are in. Everything has to be a debate and everyone needs to feel like they get an opinion no matter how wrong they are.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
I became a fan between 1985 and 1987.
That was a great team. The Flyers as an organization had a great identity.

Today, they have no identity. As a whole, hockey lost something following the lock out. It doesn't seem the same to me.
Compare the intensity of that 2004 Toronto series or even the Tampa series, there hasn't been anything like that following the lockout.

Regardless, if I was a 14 yr old boy in 2018 I would have no reason to be a fan of the Flyers. I wouldn't be interested at all.
The Eagles would probably be my only real interest.

It lost hitting and checking. Gained speed and figure skating skills. Loss of interest in Philly and the league overall is no surprise.

A lot of it was to avoid concussion lawsuits and player injuries. A good thing.

But the style of play is progressively European each season - just a smaller ice surface which does help - and does not enthrall North American fans like is does those across the pond. It’s still entertaining but gets more boring with each season.

Don’t know where the happy medium is - but this is not it.

Top 10 single telecast TV programs in the U.S. 2018 | Statistic

Last edited:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think the game is better now than it has been in years. I have nothing against fighting but all-out goonery doesn't really belong in the game at this point.

I think the league really blew it in 1994. You have the Rangers winning the Cup, and hockey was big time. Messier was on Letterman. The Rangers played a wide-open attacking style. The story of the year was the reincarnated Oilers ending the Cup drought in New York by defeating the defensive drones in New Jersey.

Eager to capitalize on this, the NHL has a lockout. You get shortened season, every game matters more, playoff intensity in the regular season and defense rules. You have Scott Stevens laying one of his patented headhunter hits on Kozlov and the tone for the next 12 years is set.

I'll take the Gaudreaus, DeBrincats and Kucherovs over the Scott Stevens of the hockey world any day.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Its sad that a show like Daily News Live/Philly Sports Talk got cancelled because people today prefer to watch an addition hour of a radio show. They would rather hear Miss stir the pot and hear morons call in then see guests like Didinger or Salsbury talk about sports.

I guess this is charged political climate we are in. Everything has to be a debate and everyone needs to feel like they get an opinion no matter how wrong they are.

It's not that they'd "rather" watch the radio show. No one was watching DNL or PST, so why bother producing it when you can just show a radio show that's going to go on regardless?

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
He turned into Eskin when Eskin wasn't on in the evenings. I can't listen to him. I used to leave Eskin on at work just to make people work faster. If you want Eskin turned off, then you have to finish. I remember "*****anelli" (that's all he does) tearing into Myrtetus about watching a Flyers game over the 1st rd of March madness in a lower seeded game. He has to lord over everyone. He then trashed hockey and said each team should have 2 goalies playing. A double sided net. Open in the front and back. I get the whole bandwagon fan thing in sports but you can't trash the entire sport and then jump on when the team is good which is what we all know he'll do. Then he'll tell us how he's forgotten more about hockey than all of us know. Sometimes I'd rather them not talk hockey anymore because all it does is get trashed. Harry Mayes would trash the sport non-stop.

I'm talking back in the 90's. Missenneli was doing to the same shtick.

He made it known that he hated the Flyers and hockey and mostly Flyer fans.

But that was in the middle of the Lindros era and much of hte talk was about the Flyers. Flyers and Eagles were the 2 main topics. And the eagles had zero shot at winning the super bowl.

Over the last 10 years, I've listened to sports talk on average about 10 hours per year, limited to whenever something big happens ie Eagles win super bowl,

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Missanelli used to have this thing where he called the Flyers fans "Stepford" fans.

I remember one year when Lindros got hurt close to playoff time and he and Eskin were mocking Flyers fans.

The morning show did a lot of Flyers stuff though, with Morganti.
I can't take Cataldi. He's over the top and plays into the bad Philly fan which just makes it worse. He alone is the reason McNabb was booed at the draft. Not the city like the rest of the world thinks. He sent the Dirty Thirty to boo if Ricky Williams wasn't drafted.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
I can't take Cataldi. He's over the top and plays into the bad Philly fan which just makes it worse. He alone is the reason McNabb was booed at the draft. Not the city like the rest of the world thinks. He sent the Dirty Thirty to boo if Ricky Williams wasn't drafted.

People won;t believe this now.
But Cataldi in the very beginning was very good and he talked intelligently.

Circa 1990/1991? - The morning show was a rotation of local writers, which included Cataldi.

Maybe once a week or every other week Cataldi and Morganti were paired and it was a great show..... that may have been the show where I heard someone discussing Scott Stevens leaving the caps to sign an offer sheet with the Blues.
Catladi and morganti's entertaining pairing during this era probably resulted in Morganti get the morning show gig. This is why he was hired...... as people wonder how he got the job in the first place

They completely wrecked which had initially been a great format.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
People won;t believe this now.
But Cataldi in the very beginning was very good and he talked intelligently.

Circa 1990/1991? - The morning show was a rotation of local writers, which included Cataldi.

Maybe once a week or every other week Cataldi and Morganti were paired and it was a great show..... that may have been the show where I heard someone discussing Scott Stevens leaving the caps to sign an offer sheet with the Blues.
Catladi and morganti's entertaining pairing during this era probably resulted in Morganti get the morning show gig. This is why he was hired...... as people wonder how he got the job in the first place

They completely wrecked which had initially been a great format.
I remember that. I used to volunteer to help my dad wash the dishes so I could listen to the radio with him. We even went to see them do a charity softball game at Vogt playground. It was the early 90's.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Missanelli is a jabroni. Guy thinks his shit doesn’t stink and he’s a holier than thou piece of shit.

Gargano’s schtick is unbelievably fake.

Cataldi does what he’s supposed to do. It’s all an act so I can’t get mad at him.

Eskin, I actually have come to appreciate him. I wish he was back full time as long as he isn’t slobbering all over the Eagles because they’re the hand that feeds.

Reactions: Carter Hart

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Sports talk radio is just entertainment, so I don't take most sports talk show hosts seriously. They have personas they perform when on air to generate ratings. Eskin & Missanelli being villains and the Columbia educated Cataldi being the buffoonish, old man to get a rise out of the listening audience. It's the oldest trick in the talk radio book and they are laughing all the way to the bank. What they say on air may not be be what they truly feel about a subject, i.e. Missanelli hating hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad