Flyers lost their charm for Philadelphia fans

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Emotion is a big part of attachment to a sports team, and the emotional intelligence of this franchise, from Homer to Hextall to Hakstol, is severely lacking.
Emotional investment is huge but that requires belief that those in charge are competent. Fans aren’t going to invest unless they believe in the product and the plan. That’s why the Phillies were still struggling to fill the stadium eventhough they were in first place for a large portion of the season. You are starting to see the same with the Flyers fanbase. They don’t believe in the team, whether they want to blame the players, coach or GM, and won’t emotional invest this season given the status quo even if they make the playoffs. It’s going to require something large to get them back either acquiring a stud player thru trade, firing the coach and hiring a big name, or a long playoff run.

Reactions: tucson83

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Emotional investment is huge but that requires belief that those in charge are competent. Fans aren’t going to invest unless they believe in the product and the plan. That’s why the Phillies were still struggling to fill the stadium eventhough they were in first place for a large portion of the season. You are starting to see the same with the Flyers fanbase. They don’t believe in the team, whether they want to blame the players, coach or GM, and won’t emotional invest this season given the status quo even if they make the playoffs. It’s going to require something large to get them back either acquiring a stud player thru trade, firing the coach and hiring a big name, or a long playoff run.

Welp, there is JvR coming in almost like a fresh acquisition... Coots looking like he is finally completely healthy and in Season shape... Giroux showing that last Seadon wasn't a fluke... Provo coming back around... Eliott back healthy and playing well.

... just need a stabilized Goalie situation at Backup.

When the Holidays and Eagles are over... and the Sixers bloom is off the rose... if the FlyGuys are still on the upswing, they will come... the Fans will be back... they always come back.

And when the Rebuild roll into a Tweaking Period... and the Flyers go on an extended PostSeason Run... the City will again have them up these just below the Birds.

That's my story... and I'm sticking to it.

PS: for the guy asking... I don't have any stats... but South Jersey is still strong Flyers Country with the Flying 'P' and Orange still abounding and on many heads and chests... 76ers still rare, albeit more than before... Phillies fading but still represented decently... Eagles SB-LII pride busting out of the seams... Birds/Flyers/Phillies/Sixers here in South Jersey via Eye-Test... FWIW

Reactions: Hexxxy

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Welp, there is JvR coming in almost like a fresh acquisition... Coots looking like he is finally completely healthy and in Season shape... Giroux showing that last Seadon wasn't a fluke... Provo coming back around... Eliott back healthy and playing well.

When the Holidays and Eagles are over... and the Sixers bloom is off the rose... if the FlyGuys are still on the upswing, they will come... the Fans will be back... they always come back.

And when the Rebuild roll into a Tweaking Period... and the Flyers go on an extended PostSeason Run... the City will again have them up these just below the Birds.

PS: for the guy asking... I don't have any stats... but South Jersey is still strong Flyers Country with the Flying 'P' and Orange still abounding and on many heads and chests... 76ers still rare, albeit more than before... Phillies fading but still represented decently... Eagles SB-LII pride busting out of the seams... Birds/Flyers/Phillies/Sixers here in South Jersey via Eye-Test... FWIW

Sorry but this is way too optimistic.

The Sixers are going to be more popular than the Flyers all season. Hell they just traded for a top 10 player yesterday and should win a round or two at least this season.

If the Phils land Harper as they are rumored to, their popularity will once again sore as well.

The Flyers will need a sustained period of being a contender to regain their popularity and they havent even entered that phase yet.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
The Flyers need to get out the Dark Ages with their marketing and promotion as well.
Its really sad when more people know Taryn Hatcher because she's fine than Nolan Patrick who was 2nd overall pick 2 years ago.
Its really sad when your mascot is your 2nd or 3rd most recognizable name.
I bet more people in the city would recognize Gritty before they recognized Jake Voracek and that should tell you how behind this team is in how its sells itself.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Flyers need to get out the Dark Ages with their marketing and promotion as well.
Its really sad when more people know Taryn Hatcher because she's fine than Nolan Patrick who was 2nd overall pick 2 years ago.
I bet more people in the city would recognize Gritty before they recognized Jake Voracek and that should tell you how behind this team is in how its sells itself.

Yeah all of that type of stuff has gone down hill under the current regime.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
sixers just raised their prices by getting jimmy butler the true all-star, the tickets are really going to sell, that's what the flyers have to do, if they get rid of hak, bring in joel q, for example trade for patrick kane or sign ek and trade for bob, tickets are going to sell out because you have proven stars on that team.

it's the same for phillies, they have to get one of the superstars, manny, harper etc, the tickets are going to sell if they got one of those guys.

eagles did their homework when they got carson, but the tickets really sell when they got ashlon jeffery, one of the biggest signings since t.o.

if the phillies and flyers do what the sixers and eagles have done, they will be successful.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016

Yeah and everywhere else in the region that isn't 97% pasty white folks the flyers are a pretty solid 4 right now with the union gaining ground on them and it isn't close. Based on the eye test and all...

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Sorry but this is way too optimistic.

The Sixers are going to be more popular than the Flyers all season. Hell they just traded for a top 10 player yesterday and should win a round or two at least this season.

If the Phils land Harper as they are rumored to, their popularity will once again sore as well.

The Flyers will need a sustained period of being a contender to regain their popularity and they havent even entered that phase yet.

So you're saying the Philly Fans want the quick fixes through acquisition than a patient, methodical ReBuild... or maybe a full Tank?

... We were promised a deep Sixer run last time... and LBJ arriving here... How about we wait and see if the Sixers and Phillies can actually cash in on our Dreams... and until then, have faith in the Flyers?

What's wrong with optimism through a calculated Plan? God knows, we've gone the other route for decades.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009

Do you seriously and honestly believe that?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Phillies didn't start filling the seats until they won for a few years.
Let the Flyers put together a couple big seasons and the waiting list will reach the 10s of thousands.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
It’s because they are boring as f***.

No intensity, simply robotic defensive first play. Other than the diehards, why would a casual person watch this shit?

Team could put Ativan out of business.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He’s not wrong in a sense but I don’t think the Flyers have fallen that far.

Ultimately everybody takes backseat to the Eagles though as they just dominate air time & all that all year around. The Phils probably benefit from having that window in the summer where everything sports wise is dead.

Reactions: VladDrag

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
That guy writes for an abominable site called Crossing Broad and covers the soccer team. His proclamations are not to be considered expressions of irrefutable metaphysical certainty.

Reactions: Ruck Over

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Are Sixers really so much more popular than Flyers?

Right now? Indubitably.

That said I think the hockey circle is bigger than what most local guys give it credit for. Just in my personal opinion, when I go out to a bar or anywhere public. I see much more Flyers gear than Sixers gear and the conversations in those bars etc. all heavily lean towards hockey more than the Sixers. Phillies and Eagles are still well ahead of both, and it may be skewed because of where I go to hang out, but I just don't see the Sixers representation like I do the Flyers.

Reactions: Sawdalite

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I've long thought the whole "MLS will eventually rival or eclipse the NHL in popularity" idea was a complete sham.

One, that league itself is a sixth-tier mess. The NHL is the best hockey league in the world, the MLB is the best baseball league in the world, the NBA is the best basketball league in the world, the NFL is the only American football league in the world. The MLS is at the fringe of the world's 10 best soccer leagues. It's not a great product, and its league/pay structure is not set up in a way that will allow it to rise up higher.

Two, sports are embedded in culture, and soccer as a mass spectator sport has just never been a considerable part of American culture. Yes, tons of children play it, but they have forever. That hasn't translated. It's a deliberate and nuanced game that isn't easily packaged up and commercialized: It isn't cut into bits for our TV viewing habits, it produces few "highlights" in the sense we imagine them. I liken it to like, K-pop and Bollywood films. Of course they're enormous global phenomenons with devoted fans in the United States, but they're not going to replace mainstream American entertainment on a grand scale because they are of the cultures where they were born. This is all a part of, actually, why hockey is a distant 4th in this country, too, but there's at least roots in a lot of northern states and tradition of success in converting viewers throughout the country.

We did do soccer 150 years ago, and then we started picking the ball up, and then we started throwing it, and then we just bastardized it further and further until we got the sport we liked/deserved in American football.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers don't have a character like Embiid, but neither does practically any team in any sport, Jo-Jo is one of those electric personalities that's larger than life, and lives up to his persona on the court, we haven't seen anyone like that since Sir Charles. What makes Embiid so hot is his combination of work ethic (Philly fans like to see them sweat) and reciprocating the love of the fans - he doesn't take his popularity for granted.

Flyers have no one who comes close to that, but Gritty in a way is having a similar, though lesser effect. And the smart thing would be to build on that with a "gritty" team, i.e., don't try to be the Lightning, rather be an updated version of the Bullies, lot's of skating, forechecking, hitting and dirty goals. A fast physical team with an edge. Winning with that style of play would endear them to Philly fans. Sorta the cup era Kings with a lot more speed.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
I think the flyers not being as popular these days is a generational thing to when I was a kid during the summer and during the winter every Park tennis court parking lot and damn near street corner the kids playing ball hockey . you go out these days I'm pretty much for the last 10 years and all those kids that would have been playing hockey are sitting in their damn houses on their tablets and phones and what not. I think me being one of those kids playing hockey had a lot to do with the passion I had for the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad