Flyers lost their charm for Philadelphia fans

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why do you watch the Flyers? Is it for mordid curiosity? Is it like when their is a suicide jumper, and everone on the ground yells "Jump!" Or everyone is enraged on the SureKill Expwy because there is an accident and find out it is "only" a fender-bender rather than someone actually killed or maimed? Just curious......

Personally I watch so I can see what incredibly boneheaded play they can make or some incredibly stupid idea the coach comes up with so I can threw a bowl of loaded cheese fries at the TV. Fortunately I have cut back on the throwing and saved a few TVs plus I felt why waste loaded cheese fries on this loathsome product called Flyers hockey?........

:clap:

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I live in the U.K., and football (soccer in the U.S.), is extremely popular. However, hockey is gaining momentum here. I rely on following the Flyers via streaming, and there many of us in my circle of friends who have been privately watching hockey for the past 25 years. There was even a draft pick during the summer from here!
I have visited Philadelphia and I was surprised to find the number one passion amongst the general public was for the Eagles NFL team. I was expecting to find a bunch of Flyers fans, but the city is mostly about the NFL. The sports radio station in Philadelphia never mentioned the Flyers when I visited. Everything was about the NFL team. I can see why, since they won the Super Bowl, but I visited before they won the championship.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Article was a waste of time. I lost a few minutes of my life reading it.
And a few moments more to share your downer opinion. Congrats.

@Coinneach - thanks for sharing. I'd disagree with him about autoracing though. Not even combining IndyCar and NASCAR, NASCAR alone is likely larger than MLS, and for a time in the late 90s, early 00s, was speculated to overtake hockey as the #4 "sport".

Quick google search- NASCAR is losing ratings/viewers and the average age is increasing quickly, but the moderate rates they have year over year still assblast the best that MLS dreams they could do. From one of the links, it indicated that a NASCAR race had about 10 times the viewership and ratings than a typical regular season MLS game would garner.

Soccer, NBA audiences trending younger, while NASCAR, golf, pro wrestling audiences are growing older

NASCAR Isn't Dying, But Insiders See A Sport In Transition

and random associations of NASCAR and MLS in a few cities looking for teams
Will deep pockets, NASCAR help Charlotte win major-league soccer team?
Speedway Motorsports Inc. Pushes to Bring NASCAR Racing Back to Nashville

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I live in the U.K., and football (soccer in the U.S.), is extremely popular. However, hockey is gaining momentum here. I rely on following the Flyers via streaming, and there many of us in my circle of friends who have been privately watching hockey for the past 25 years. There was even a draft pick during the summer from here!
I have visited Philadelphia and I was surprised to find the number one passion amongst the general public was for the Eagles NFL team. I was expecting to find a bunch of Flyers fans, but the city is mostly about the NFL. The sports radio station in Philadelphia never mentioned the Flyers when I visited. Everything was about the NFL team. I can see why, since they won the Super Bowl, but I visited before they won the championship.
Just about the radio thing, it's a joke. The radio has maybe 1 guy who wants to talk Flyers, and maybe 3 others who could talk intelligently if pressed, that's over 2 stations, and 2 of the 3 are late-night, over-night, hosts.

Recently, I called in to talk hockey cause it was past my bed-time and I was still wired from enjoying some fellowship and a few delictable quaffs. I heard another drunk call and he got on air, and I was more lucid than he. I called and the producer asked what I wanted to talk about, I said Flyers (this was back on Oct 24th/25th, game on the 25th.) The host then proceeded to question why I wanted to talk Flyers, because no one had brought it up. They then proceeded me to put me on hold for about 20 minutes, when I finally gave up and went to bed. It was around 4 am for context. For the locals whom submit themselves to punishment, it's easy to figure out who the host was. Should've waited until he had on Bill Matz, he is actually a fan and invested participant (blogger/podcaster).

f*** the radio stations around here, all Eagles all the time, so boring. Sprinkle of 6ers Phillies just because talking Eagles so much is a bit much for anyone.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I was in South Jerz for 3 days this week and was surprised [not shocked] to hear basically nothing flyers-related on the sports talk radio. Conversely, I live in the NYC area and heard about 10-15 minute of an hour the other day on the ride down re: the Isles with a little Rangers and Devils mixed in. Nothing in Philly [and a ton of 76ers talk].

might be a mix of a lot of different stuff but primarily because the flyers are completely uninteresting right now

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Meh sports radio is often for lowest common denominator which makes up large portions of sports fans. Those types generally don’t care about the Flyers & hockey in general. So it’s not a surprise they don’t get much run on there.

The people who head these stations aren’t idiots. They know who they’re targeting & it’s often times not the people who complain about their setup.

The Flyers & hockey in general is not as big as the “like my sport” fan likes to think it is from a local & national level here in America. They have more of a cult following in a big/populated city/area which likely makes it seem like more people out there care than the general public actually does.

Last edited:

General Joseph

Dec 25, 2017
Florida Panhandle
The bottom line is that FLYERS fans and Philadelphia sports fans expect rough and tumble hockey with dashes of skilled players and good net minding . Whens the last time the Wells Fargo center was ROCKIN with some tough spirited play ?

Reactions: kelmitchell

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
It saddens me when I watch the Flyers anymore. I don't identify with much bc they lack an identity themselves. I miss the days of intense Flyers hockey...
I really think they reflect the spirit, or lack of spirit, of their head coach. Dave Hakstol is as inspiring as a certified public accountant, and is as exciting as a mortician.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You think a new coach can make Voracek at 6'3 210 lbs a physical player?
Or give Ghost the burst he had as a rookie that made him so exciting?
Or return Simmonds to the player he was 3-4 years ago?

It's not just the coach, it's the players.
It's just a lot more fun to watch Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek, even Laughton.

When the young players dominate the roster in a couple years this will be a faster, more physical team and a lot more fun to watch.

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
League rules and officiating ruined the Flyers brand. The Flyers could no longer be the Flyers in the Modern NHL.

Further, the Flyers were always competitive, top tier, going deep into playoffs fairly frequently. Epic series. Stars in the O+B. Free agent stars. Star head coaches. Every year it was a thing. Rebuilding was not something Philly did. And the team never quit (altho the past 20+ or so years the NJ rivalry crippled us and the Detroit Stanley Cup was a hollowing out).

That said, this draft first build out a farm system forever no big ticket FAs and forever rebuild has really damaged the franchise — even if it was necessary.

Hextalls GMship has been qualitatively different on a historical scale.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You think a new coach can make Voracek at 6'3 210 lbs a physical player?
Or give Ghost the burst he had as a rookie that made him so exciting?
Or return Simmonds to the player he was 3-4 years ago?

It's not just the coach, it's the players.
It's just a lot more fun to watch Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek, even Laughton.

When the young players dominate the roster in a couple years this will be a faster, more physical team and a lot more fun to watch.

Ghost is still a better skater than damned near anyone in the league, and he's constantly using that superior skating to do exciting things.

Voracek is forever outmuscling guys.

Are you sure you don't have Ghost and Voracek confused with Hagg and Weise?

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
Meh sports radio is often for lowest common denominator which makes up large portions of sports fans. Those types generally don’t care about the Flyers & hockey in general. So it’s not a surprise they don’t get much run on there.

The people who head these stations aren’t idiots. They know who they’re targeting & it’s often times not the people who complain about their setup.

The Flyers & hockey in general is not as big as the “like my sport” fan likes to think it is from a local & national level here in America. They have more of a cult following in a big/populated city/area which likely makes it seem like more people out there care than the general public actually does.

It seems for me like Flyers are on "Union level". Although they had many years much higher TV ratings than Sixers.

I have three questions:

1) Can Flyers be again Nr. 3 in the town?
2) Is Penguins/Flyers rivalry a big deal for Philadelphia common fans?
3) Are Flyers now really that much less popular than Sixers?

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec

I liked that post and felt the same when I went to Philadelphia. It's the same pretty much every where in the US, actually. Flyers fans are nice, but rare. Come to Québec. We don't have a team anymore, yet Nordiques fans are still everywhere. Can't wait for it to comeback. But if it doesn't because the league stays "USA first", I might turn to another hockey league. Sorry for the politics in this post, but it's still true. The NHL sucks. I don't hate the US, but you guys aren't the center of the world.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
It seems for me like Flyers are on "Union level". Although they had many years much higher TV ratings than Sixers.

I have three questions:

Generally speaking, the Sixers were more popular in the city while the Flyers were more popular in the suburbs. There also is a socioeconomic compenant when you break down the numbers. However, right now the difference between the Sixers and Flyers is star power. The problem that I foresee is that because of that, a large group of kids are going to grow up folllowing the Sixers more than the Flyers much like the the reverse when Eric Lindros was here. There is no buzz surrounding the Flyers these days for kids and casual fans to latch onto.

In the near future though I do believe there will be an opening for the Flyers if they can get their crap together. I foresee the Sixers stalling out as far as playoff success. But the Flyers IMO they need a new star forward or a long playoff run to gets fans attention back.

Reactions: tucson83

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013

I have three questions:

1) its very possible. The Flyers need star power though. Giroux is great but he's not enough. Perhaps Provorov, Ghost, Patrick, Konecny, Frost etc together will bring the luster back.
2) Depends on where youre at and who youre talking to. Im sure Pens fans hate us like we hate them but it really hasnt been a competition between the two in recent years. Pens just came off winning back to back Cups. Their team has three Hall on Famers on it. Flyers have just Giroux and havent won a playoff series in 6 years almost. Both the Pens and Flyers have to be competitive at the same time for the rivalry to have any fire.
3) I'd say the gap is pretty large now but once again its all based on star power. Sixers have the best grouping of young talent maybe in their entire franchise history. Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid are McDavid-Matthews equivalent talents and theyre on the same team. Markelle Fultz is also a 1st overall pick. Flyers have a really nice crop of young players but a big question is do they have enough elite young talent to be one of the top teams down the line.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I liked that post and felt the same when I went to Philadelphia. It's the same pretty much every where in the US, actually. Flyers fans are nice, but rare. Come to Québec. We don't have a team anymore, yet Nordiques fans are still everywhere. Can't wait for it to comeback. But if it doesn't because the league stays "USA first", I might turn to another hockey league. Sorry for the politics in this post, but it's still true. The NHL sucks. I don't hate the US, but you guys aren't the center of the world.
The last sentence is where you're wrong kiddo. We're number 1 and our president will be sure to tell ya to kiss the ring. :lol:

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017

I have three questions:

#2 is the fascinating question. Pittsburgh/Western Pennsylvania and Philly/Eastern Pennsylvania is a manufactured geographic rivalry. Sure there’s a rivalry in the state and on the ice. But geographically, and in terms of market? No.

The Flyers real rivals, financially, are the Devils and Rangers. From Ocean County, NJ, West to Eastern Pennsylvania and South to Delaware. Inside this zone there has been major generational attrition in the fanbase towards the Devils (and Rangers) because of the success of those franchises since the 1990s. Those franchises won multiple Cups and rivaled what the Flyers did in the 70s (which spawned the Flyers brand market and fanbase dominance).

When the Flyers and Rangers have a rivalry, that’s something because of the cities themselves and their proximity. Same with the Devils in terms of proximity (and overlap) because both franchises know money is on the line.

The Devils literally are the third NY Metro area team and the leach fans from both the Rangers and Flyers.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I have three questions:

While their popularity has slipped, they are still far above the Union in Philadelphia and especially the surrounding suburbs; where many of the diehard fans now live (myself included as of 1 month ago).

1. Flyers can be as high as #2 again with sustained playoff success.
  2. Flyers/Pens rivalry has cooled off because the Flyers haven't had playoff success. It's all tied into that.
  3. Flyers are less popular than the Sixers but not by as much as the sports radio would have you believe.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
I like the outside perspectives here. I've been a Flyers fan and played organized ice hockey since I was a kid and in high school. Ice hockey has always been my favorite sport to play and I didn't stop until a few years ago when I was in my mid-40s. But I'll admit even I was a much bigger Eagles fan growing up even though I never played organized football. Philly has always been an Eagles town and always will be. That's no surprise to those that were raised in the area. Movies have been made about it. Growing up all my friends and family followed the team, and to a large extent our social lives revolved around Eagles games. That was never the case with the Flyers. I moved to Seattle 20 years ago so I've lost a lot of perspective on local team popularity, but I still often listen to podcasts of Philly sports talk radio while stuck in traffic, and Ray Didinger's weekend show appears the only one willing to talk about the Flyers, albeit briefly. But when Lindros was playing there was a lot more sports radio talk about the Flyers, I can recall that.

I think Hexxxy may be right about the the style of the game negatively affecting Flyers popularity. Certainly that is the case with most of my friends and family that live back home when I talk to them. They don't like how hitting and fighting has largely been taken out of the game. But for me, I think it's that recent Flyers teams have no identity and it's very obvious that some of their systems aren't working and they stubbornly refuse to address it. It doesn't take someone with 30 years of playing experience to spot it and if I still lived in the area, until that changes, I wouldn't pay to attend a game either.

Last edited:

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
League rules and officiating ruined the Flyers brand. The Flyers could no longer be the Flyers in the Modern NHL.

Further, the Flyers were always competitive, top tier, going deep into playoffs fairly frequently. Epic series. Stars in the O+B. Free agent stars. Star head coaches. Every year it was a thing. Rebuilding was not something Philly did. And the team never quit (altho the past 20+ or so years the NJ rivalry crippled us and the Detroit Stanley Cup was a hollowing out).

That said, this draft first build out a farm system forever no big ticket FAs and forever rebuild has really damaged the franchise — even if it was necessary.

Hextalls GMship has been qualitatively different on a historical scale.

you are right and i know this isnt football but i look why the eagles were always successful over the years even though they never won the big one until now was because they always went after experienced players every year and a young star like wentz to build around with. with the flyers it's the opposite, alot of inexperience players, inexperience coaches, it's not a good recipe for success. now if the flyers somehow get a star player and add more experience players with a great coach, i think the flyers will be watchable again.

i think it's a mistake to get away from what was working in 07-11, that's why this team is what it is right now.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
#2 is the fascinating question. Pittsburgh/Western Pennsylvania and Philly/Eastern Pennsylvania is a manufactured geographic rivalry. Sure there’s a rivalry in the state and on the ice. But geographically, and in terms of market? No.

The Flyers real rivals, financially, are the Devils and Rangers. From Ocean County, NJ, West to Eastern Pennsylvania and South to Delaware. Inside this zone there has been major generational attrition in the fanbase towards the Devils (and Rangers) because of the success of those franchises since the 1990s. Those franchises won multiple Cups and rivaled what the Flyers did in the 70s (which spawned the Flyers brand market and fanbase dominance).

When the Flyers and Rangers have a rivalry, that’s something because of the cities themselves and their proximity. Same with the Devils in terms of proximity (and overlap) because both franchises know money is on the line.

The Devils literally are the third NY Metro area team and the leach fans from both the Rangers and Flyers.
The Pittsburgh-Philly thing to me is more of a deal for Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has always been the step child to Philly in the state in every way. They may be part of PA but they're more of a mid-western town than an East coast city.
The fact that the Penguins are a Bettman creation is the reason that I want the Flyers, or any team for that matter, to pound their @$$e$ into the ice. Its not because they are an interstate rival. The major rivals that I have always seen for the Flyers have been the Rags and the Bruins which has been that way since the Flyers came into the league.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Star power would help the Flyers big time...why they went hard after Lindros because they were missing the playoffs in consecutive years... it was brutal for those of us that endured that lame period of Flyers history. This is almost no different. The Berube Hakstink years have sucked the life out of fans. The playoff futility plays a large part. I can't remember what playoff success even feels like.....it is pathetic. The organization should be scared of this futility and stop engaging in PR campaigns with Hakstol and gimmicks with Gritty. Get to the root of the problem here.....Dummy Dave Hakstooge! Fire the guy .....

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
you are right and i know this isnt football but i look why the eagles were always successful over the years even though they never won the big one until now was because they always went after experienced players every year and a young star like wentz to build around with. with the flyers it's the opposite, alot of inexperience players, inexperience coaches, it's not a good recipe for success. now if the flyers somehow get a star player and add more experience players with a great coach, i think the flyers will be watchable again.

i think it's a mistake to get away from what was working in 07-11, that's why this team is what it is right now.
Yes it was a mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad