Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
cut.jpeg

Game Day: Flyers at Maple Leafs
Lance HornbyMore from Lance Hornby
Game Day: Flyers at Maple Leafs

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS (34-28-8) at TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (42-23-5)
Friday 7 P.M., Scotiabank Arena
TV: TSN4; RADIO: TSN 1050
THE BIG MATCHUP
C Claude Giroux vs. G Frederik Andersen

It has been a long time since the Maple Leafs have had to worry about their goaltending barometer, but Andersen’s starts durnig the past two games, whether a product of team troubles or not, are a concern. He will face a Philly team primed for a late-season playoff push, and while Giroux’s offensive numbers are down from last year, it’s go time.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
Orange wave
Have the Flyers left this too late? While they’re finally getting some quality goaltending, there are a lot of difficult teams on the menu to get past and make up ground, including this first of two dates with the Leafs coming after a home date versus Washington. In the only meeting this year, the Flyers were whacked 6-0 at SBA with Andreas Johnsson netting a hat trick.
Home alone
Toronto has heard boos at SBA twice from its fickle fans this week, but has not lost three in a row on Bay St. this season. On Wednesday, the Leafs came close to their first five-goal comeback to win since a 7-6 overtime victory over Boston in 1989. They have to carry those 29 third-period shots into Friday, especially with a day off.
Where there’s a will
After sputtering much of his shortened season, William Nylander has looked more dynamic of late and coach Mike Babcock called it his most engaged performance of the season for generating chances.
JVR is back
Though he was blanked in the first homecoming, former Leafs winger James van Riemsdyk is up to 21 goals after an early season injury. He has two power play goals, an area the Flyers have laboured on.
Puck protection
This should be a good game in the dots, the two best faceoff teams in the league, though the Flyers’ 55.3% is a big lead and Claude Giroux is at almost 60%.
LEAFS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Patrick Marleau John Tavares Mitch Marner
Andreas Johnsson Auston Matthews William Nylander
Trevor Moore Nazem Kadri Connor Brown
Nic Petan Frederik Gauthier Tyler Ennis
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Morgan Rielly Ron Hainsey
Jake Muzzin Nikita Zaitsev
Martin Marincin Igor Ozhiganov
GOALIES
Frederik Andersen
Garret Sparks
FLYERS GAME DAY LINES
Oskar Lindblom Sean Couturier Claude Giroux
James van Riemsdyk Nolan Patrick Jakub Voracek
Michael Raffl Scott Laughton Travis Konecny
Phil Varone Corban Knight Ryan Hartman
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Ivan Provorov Travis Sanheim
Shayne Gostisbehere Philippe Myers
Robert Hagg Radko Gudas
Goalies
Carter Hart
Brian Elliott
SICK BAY
Toronto: D Jake Gardiner (back), D Travis Dermott (shoulder), RW Kasperi Kapanen (concussion), LW Zach Hyman (illness)
Philadelphia: G Michal Neuvirth (lower body)
SPECIAL TEAMS
POWER PLAY
Toronto: 22.9% (7th)
Philadelphia: 17.1% (22nd)
PENALTY KILLING
Toronto: 80.3% (17th)
Philadelphia: 77.9% (26th)

Friday NHL game preview: Philadelphia Flyers at Toronto Maple Leafs
By Mark ZwolinskiSports Reporter
Thu., March 14, 2019
SCOTIABANK ARENA
FACEOFF:
7 p.m.
Friday NHL game preview: Philadelphia Flyers at Toronto Maple Leafs | The Star

couturier.jpg

Heading into Thursday’s games, Flyers forward Sean Couturier had 61 points in 55 games since Nov. 1. (Elsa / GETTY IMAGES)

TV: TSN
RADIO: TSN 1050
KEY PLAYERS
Couturier/Johnsson
The Flyers’ Sean Couturier had points in five straight games heading into Thursday night. He led the Flyers in scoring since Nov. 1, with 61 points in 55 games. Leafs rookie Andreas Johnsson has been a strong performer over the past two months, and should at least factor into the Calder Trophy discussion.
NEED TO KNOW
Leafs fans will catch a glimpse of another strong rookie in Philadelphia forward Oskar Lindblom, who has points in three of his last four games and has seen time on the first power-play unit … Jacob Voracek will return to the lineup after serving a two-game suspension … Carter Hart was to start in goal against Washington on Thursday, his first game since Feb. 21 (ankle injury). Hart is 13-8-1 since his debut Dec. 18 … Scott Laughton also has a five-game point streak ... The Flyers had earned 38 points since Jan. 14 through Wednesday’s games, tied for the most over that span. But the road to the end of the season is difficult: Philadelphia plays seven games in 11 days, with six of them against teams currently holding a playoff spot.
UP NEXT
Saturday at Ottawa, 7 p.m.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Lance HornbyMore from Lance Hornby
Published: March 15, 2019
Updated: March 15, 2019 12:08 AM EDT

Friday 7 P.M., Scotiabank Arena
TV: TSN4; RADIO: TSN 1050

THE BIG MATCHUP

C Claude Giroux vs. G Frederik Andersen

It has been a long time since the Maple Leafs have had to worry about their goaltending barometer, but Andersen’s starts durnig the past two games, whether a product of team troubles or not, are a concern. He will face a Philly team primed for a late-season playoff push, and while Giroux’s offensive numbers are down from last year, it’s go time.

FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME

Orange wave

Have the Flyers left this too late? While they’re finally getting some quality goaltending, there are a lot of difficult teams on the menu to get past and make up ground, including this first of two dates with the Leafs coming after a home date versus Washington. In the only meeting this year, the Flyers were whacked 6-0 at SBA with Andreas Johnsson netting a hat trick.

Home alone
Toronto has heard boos at SBA twice from its fickle fans this week, but has not lost three in a row on Bay St. this season. On Wednesday, the Leafs came close to their first five-goal comeback to win since a 7-6 overtime victory over Boston in 1989. They have to carry those 29 third-period shots into Friday, especially with a day off.

Where there’s a will
After sputtering much of his shortened season, William Nylander has looked more dynamic of late and coach Mike Babcock called it his most engaged performance of the season for generating chances.

JVR is back
Though he was blanked in the first homecoming, former Leafs winger James van Riemsdyk is up to 21 goals after an early season injury. He has two power play goals, an area the Flyers have laboured on.

Puck protection
This should be a good game in the dots, the two best faceoff teams in the league, though the Flyers’ 55.3% is a big lead and Claude Giroux is at almost 60%.

LEAFS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Patrick Marleau John Tavares Mitch Marner
Andreas Johnsson Auston Matthews William Nylander
Trevor Moore Nazem Kadri Connor Brown
Nic Petan Frederik Gauthier Tyler Ennis
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Morgan Rielly Ron Hainsey
Jake Muzzin Nikita Zaitsev
Martin Marincin Igor Ozhiganov
GOALIES
Frederik Andersen
Garret Sparks

FLYERS GAME DAY LINES
Oskar Lindblom Sean Couturier Claude Giroux
James van Riemsdyk Nolan Patrick Jakub Voracek
Michael Raffl Scott Laughton Travis Konecny
Phil Varone Corban Knight Ryan Hartman
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Ivan Provorov Travis Sanheim
Shayne Gostisbehere Philippe Myers
Robert Hagg Radko Gudas
Goalies
Carter Hart
Brian Elliott

SICK BAY
Toronto: D Jake Gardiner (back), D Travis Dermott (shoulder), RW Kasperi Kapanen (concussion), LW Zach Hyman (illness)
Philadelphia: G Michal Neuvirth (lower body)

SPECIAL TEAMS
POWER PLAY
Toronto: 22.9% (7th)
Philadelphia: 17.1% (22nd)
PENALTY KILLING
Toronto: 80.3% (17th)
Philadelphia: 77.9% (26th)

Hopefully the Leafs are ready to go tonight. Habs and Boston lost. Philly played last night, and the Leafs are coming off two bad efforts. If there is a game you would think they would show up... it's tonight. Go Leafs Go.

Reactions: Frenchy

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
You'd certainly think the team would be motivated for a big game tonight. Two embarrassing losses in a row. Although last game was close to a pretty epic comeback, going down 5-0 in the 2nd period to a non-playoff team should have them blushing.

I expect the Leafs come out firing tonight.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Im really, really done with Marty, Holl, and Oz.

Rielly-Hainsey
Muzz-Liljegren
Sandin-Zaitsev

Friedman said there was talk we might give Sandin a look but it’s unlikely it happens.

Dubas already spoke earlier in the year about Liljegren challenging for a spot, and frankly, I’m okay with giving him up to 9 games while we wait for Dermott, Rosen and/or Borgman to come back.

I have my doubts that Gardiner will play another game this year, but maybe he gives it a go for the playoffs

Reactions: Budsfan

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
If they feel lethargic still. Just rest everybody.
No point going out there risking injury, and losing confidence.

Call up the alot of the Marlies. Use our 3rd and 4th lines as top lines until everyone is rested and better.

Rest freddy with Spa packages, give sparks as many games needed.

*Funnily enough our 4th line might just win dominantly

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Im really, really done with Marty, Holl, and Oz.

Rielly-Hainsey
Muzz-Liljegren
Sandin-Zaitsev

Unfortunately, Sandin and Liljegren call ups, are just the musings of Dreger but the team could use a shakeup and they are projected as possible D for next season.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Team coming off a tough loss on a back to back?

I can see us underestimating them and losing this game tonight. Can't put anything past this group

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Boston lost again last night I would say win and close the cap but with how these guys play I won’t get my hopes up

Such a wasted opportunity. We should be playing to pass Boston tonight, and instead we are lucky to be playing to get within 2.

They are at home against Columbus tomorrow, so I’m sure they’ll get back to their winning ways.

So we need to beat PHI and OTT this weekend to keep pace

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Last time I cared to investigate the Flyers, they played soft and a no-hitter game - relying on skill alone. Perfect match up for us - Leafs win easily.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Could be ahead of Boston with this game, instead we are still scratching to get within two points. This was the week we could have done it. Boston had a tough week, we had an easier week. I guess the Leafs thought that way too.

Trounce these guys tonight to earn a little respectability back, then the same tomorrow against a Sens team that is basically a fish floating upside down.

Reactions: NiftyMits

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Could be ahead of Boston with this game, instead we are still scratching to get within two points. This was the week we could have done it. Boston had a tough week, we had an easier week. I guess the Leafs thought that way too.

Trounce these guys tonight to earn a little respectability back, then the same tomorrow against a Sens team that is basically a fish floating upside down.

Every team wins and loses, Boston and Toronto.

And we did play the Lightning, so its hard to say Boston had a harder week.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The reporting is hard to straighten out but I think I read he waa nearly ready to come back then took another puck off the foot which has delayed it.
Yeah has to make it even tougher on the guy. I am sure he knows this probably would have been the break he has been looking for ever since coming over and to be straddled with your own injury at that point is unfortunate to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->