Status
Not open for further replies.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Coach Noel pre-game

November-15-2013-Coach-Noel-pre-game-300x166.jpg

Up against an equally hot team in Philly. Injury update (Stuart – aways away. Trouba – more than a week). What’s Philly been doing right? Team consistency. What has the team done to help themselves? Getting players not in the lineup into a game?

To listen click here.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
:handclap: Very good to hear.

As an aside, I was asking myself: who's this Wonko poster? Ah! Mungman. Name changes always freak me out. :)

Is it game time yet?

I made it 2 1/2 years before changing names.

Can't wait for the game, I haven't had a PHI game yet in my ticket package. Just too bad there's no Bryz this time, at least we draw the backup tender tonight.:naughty:

tofurkey

Sep 26, 2013
Not entirely enthused with comments by Coach at the noon presser re: Peluso coming back in. Paraphrasing, but it was we're winning, so "my hands are tied" and "I can't do anything about it".

We'll, yes, you can do something, you're hands aren't actually tied. He says we don't change a winning line-up, have to wait until we lose to make a change and players have to learn to adjust to that (he actually said that, Peluso has to be patient because we are winning and I can't make any changes). It's either superstitious, or an overabundance of caution, but it's totally reactive and not proactive.

If you have resources that match up better against certain teams, you don't sit them just because you are on a small winning streak. You gotta play whoever gives you the best chance to win each night.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Not entirely enthused with comments by Coach at the noon presser re: Peluso coming back in. Paraphrasing, but it was we're winning, so "my hands are tied" and "I can't do anything about it".

We'll, yes, you can do something, you're hands aren't actually tied. He says we don't change a winning line-up, have to wait until we lose to make a change and players have to learn to adjust to that (he actually said that, Peluso has to be patient because we are winning and I can't make any changes). It's either superstitious, or an overabundance of caution, but it's totally reactive and not proactive.

If you have resources that match up better against certain teams, you don't sit them just because you are on a small winning streak. You gotta play whoever gives you the best chance to win each night.

I've nearly given up hope.
And what I foresee happening is Peluso will finally get in, show some rust and be stuck in purgatory again.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah those comments from Noel kinda made me cringe too. He also said something to the effect that "Its part of the learning experience. They have to learn that when they get in they need to take advantage and show what they can do..." or words to that effect. See to me that's exactly what Peluso did when he was in and what'd it get him? Benched the second Thorburn is healthy...

tofurkey

Sep 26, 2013
Yeah those comments from Noel kinda made me cringe too. He also said something to the effect that "Its part of the learning experience. They have to learn that when they get in they need to take advantage and show what they can do..." or words to that effect. See to me that's exactly what Peluso did when he was in and what'd it get him? Benched the second Thorburn is healthy...

Yeah, thanks for including that comment - it also struck me the same way when I heard it. Peluso *had* made a mark, but he got the shaft anyway. Disincentive.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I understand keeping a "winning line-up intact", but what I never liked was Peluso was actually playing quite well at the time of Thorburn becoming healthy again, only for Peluso to be yanked out of the line-up leaving many to wonder if he was injured, even those in the media were asking "Why isn't Peluso playing? is he injured?" and apparently he wasn't, Thorburn was just healthy again.

To each their own, but Noel has his guys he likes, his favorites, and that is pretty obvious.

Here is what doesn't make sense to what Noel is saying. Peluso was in the line-up (and playing well) for the games from October 18th (Jets won 4-3 vs. St. Louis) to October 26th vs. Dallas. In that time span the Jets collected 6 of a possible 10 points.

Thorburn returns vs. Colorado October 27th, Peluso gets scratched the next two games leaving fans/media asking why? and if Peluso was hurt? in that time after collected 6 of 10 points, Noel alters the line-up and we lose 4 of the next 5 games.

After that Peluso gets in the next 3 games (Chicago, Detroit, Chicago) and we go 1-2. That's the last Peluso played.

Do I think Peluso leads us to a better team and more wins? probably not, no. Nor do I think he is the reason we started seeing more effort and collected 6 of a possible 10 points. I would take Peluso over Thorburn though. But if Noel doesn't want to mess with a line-up playing well, why did he do so when we seemed to finally be turning a corner and collected 6 of a possible 10 points in October? Yet Thorburn becomes healthy after missing 8 games due to injury and he automatically gets a spot back in the line-up over a player in the same role playing well, and when the team appeared to also be playing well. :dunno:

If you're going to say one thing, stick to it.

Last edited:

Klinger

I was saying Boourns
Aug 27, 2013
PEI
Maybe by not having a choice he means that in his office, he has an angry monkey throwing darts at names choosing his lineup and lines?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
NoeLogic:

Young players have to learn to make use of their opportunities when they get them

Even when they DO that, they will be scratched in favor of old players who suck

Old players who suck NEVER have to make use of their opportunites when they get them, their lineup spot and ice time are guaranteed.

The only time a youngster gets a chance is when an old, sucky washout gets hurt

*Head explodes*

#freepeluso

Go Jets Go! I am starting to believe again, time for these *******s to break my heart :laugh:

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
Want to see Ladd serve up a bowl of Captain Clutch to the Flyers tonight. And Little keep playing like a big man. And here's hoping Yzerman takes notice.

GO JETS GO

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Yet again sacrificing the vCash for a Jets win.

Getting pretty tired of Noel's attitude towards some of our guys. Stuart was back skating for the first time today, so how long is it until we get downgraded from Pardy-Ellerby?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yet again sacrificing the vCash for a Jets win.

Getting pretty tired of Noel's attitude towards some of our guys. Stuart was back skating for the first time today, so how long is it until we get downgraded from Pardy-Ellerby?

Gah, I know. I loathe for the time that Stu is ready to go again.

The worst part is, it makes part of me hope that certain players aren't physically able to play which in turn makes me very angry at myself. I do not wish injury on anyone, but ffs it seems like that is the only way that Noel will make the right player choice.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Gah, I know. I loathe for the time that Stu is ready to go again.

The worst part is, it makes part of me hope that certain players aren't physically able to play which in turn makes me very angry at myself. I do not wish injury on anyone, but ffs it seems like that is the only way that Noel will make the right player choice.

yep i totally agree. He should really do a better job of communicating his decisions. if he's going to tell the media his reasoning, he probably shouldn't use reasoning that shows an obvious double standard.

If this ISN'T his actual reasoning (which is entirely possible) then why would you say it is? It makes you look like a **** coach.

gaaah. These quotes sink my faith in this team more then any performance on ice ever does.

tofurkey

Sep 26, 2013
For me, it's more about the philosophy that says no change until we start losing or playing bad that is frustrating. No place for that kind of rigidness. It's part of the same philosophy behind the overuse of Pav the last two years. Unwilling to change from something that is working to something else that might also work, or even be better, situationally, until what was working stops working.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
That's an awful lot of hand-wringing and depression being caused by Peluso IMHO.

It's quite comical. Peluso scores one goal and all of a sudden he's so important to the team. Let's not kid ourselves, the Jets aren't losing games because Peluso is out of the lineup.

tofurkey

Sep 26, 2013
It's quite comical. Peluso scores one goal and all of a sudden he's so important to the team. Let's not kid ourselves, the Jets aren't losing games because Peluso is out of the lineup.

I'm going to leave it alone now, but I will say, the damage is likely more from the players seeing the Coach as arbitrary and capricious with player decisions. That might impact how some decide they want to play for him.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Best chance of winning lineup >>>> Hot lineup

One is giving you the better chance...
The other is just looking at randomness and trying to create meaning and pattern from it and hoping it holds up...

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

No one is saying he's the sole difference between winning and losing. In fact almost all Peluso supporters go out of their way to stress that. (I.e Guer... MattG's post above)

What we are saying is that Anthony Peluso is a better hockey player and brings more to the team than Chris Thorburn.
The idea that fans aren't supposed to be annoyed when they feel like their team is making a line up error is silly. And this is the exact place to vent that.

And I don't think Peluso scoring is the reason people want him to play.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I'm going to leave it alone now, but I will say, the damage is likely more from the players seeing the Coach as arbitrary and capricious with player decisions. That might impact how some decide they want to play for him.

Conjecture, IMHO. I could just as easily theorize that more damage would be done to the locker room by making Thorburn a healthy scratch. As by all accounts he is well-liked in the locker room, and his scrappy effort and veteran presence is appreciated. Conjecture all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->