Speculation: Flyers interested in Ryan O'Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
What the...???
I wouldn’t make sense to. Eichel will be a better producer than Patrick for sure, but Patrick hopefully can become a 60 point center.

Provorov is the deal killer. He’s vital to the flyers organization. He is by far our #1 defenseman and we need him in order to succeed down the road because we don’t have his replacement. It’s nit that Eichel isn’t that good, it’s just it doesn’t make sense from the flyers perspective.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
It’s not about the value not being there. It’s about making zero sense from either standpoint.

Provo is the only potential #1 we have and he is currently our number one.

That’s all it is.

Some people can’t seem to grasp that concept. They think as if everything only exsisted in a vacuum. It’s like they’re playing a video game and don’t understand how things actually work in the real world.

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
He’d be playing with very talented wingers and who knows what the ice time would look like in 2-3 years. But I doubt the Flyers would mind if they could slide Patrick behind Couturier and ROR. Sure, it could change in 2-3 years. You’re underselling ROR.
I'm not underselling a 2nd line center who would potentially be on our 3rd line making 7.5 million for 4 more years. He isn't the player we need.

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
I don't understand the concerns with getting ROR from a lineup perspective. My first thought would be that they want a even top 9 with 3 strong, defensively responsible centers. If ROR can hold his own with some of his previous linemates, I'm sure he can do fine with the wingers the Flyers give him.

If not trying to have a very balanced top 9, I don't see the issue with ROR taking "2C" role and Patrick taking "3C" role for a year or two and then it switching once Patrick develops and ROR hits 30 and might be better suited for a more "3C" role.
His salary for the next 4 years is an issue.

Moondog47

Feb 5, 2014
7.5 million until he is 31 and could potentially be on our 3rd line. Also a huge issue when all of our young players will be getting new contracts.

Yeah I mean I guess I think he is worth 7.5 million especially with the cap going up. I'm not also sold on the paying our young player issue because we have 20+ million coming off the books in veterans with some of those roles being hopefully filled with cheap rookies, not to mention I highly doubt the cap won't go up at least a few million over that time period.

I can understand though if you would rather put that money into another position though and hope one of the C prospects takes over the 3C role.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'm not underselling a 2nd line center who would potentially be on our 3rd line making 7.5 million for 4 more years. He isn't the player we need.

You are very much underselling ROR if you think he's a 2nd line anything.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
7.5 million until he is 31 and could potentially be on our 3rd line. Also a huge issue when all of our young players will be getting new contracts.
Last 4 years the actual cost is $6M per year but $7.5M cap hit.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
On the Flyers, unless he can play Rw. Would be on our second line.

Doesn't make him a 2nd line player. By that logic, Malkin is a 2C and Jordan Staal is a 1C, because that's where those guys play on their respective teams.

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
okay guys. Sorry I don’t agree with the idea of trading assets to acquire a talented yet unnecessary addition to our team with a heavy cap & term. Love you guys anyway.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
From a fan of neither team, Provo/Patrick for ROR is pure comedy. I don't think I would trade either to be honest. That's nothing like what the Sabres paid for him in the first place. I doubt there will be a single piece brought back in trade for ROR that equals either of those two.

And Im a huge fan of ROR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad