Speculation: Flyers interested in Ryan O'Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
So, when I look at Philly's roster and org depth chart, O'Reilly doesn't make a lick of sense based on his cost. But I don't follow the Flyers that closely. Ristolainen on the other hand....
But the Sabres would need to acquire a replacement RHD first.

I think an argument could be made that he would fit, to take pressure off of Claude and Sean. But the price or the timing isn’t right with a move to acquire RoR. I like him as a player and think he would fit IF the timing was right. But currently, that timing isn’t now.

I also like Risto, but I think his price is out of the range we’d be willing to give up. Especially if you’re interested in Frost. I think he will be given every shot to make the NHL this coming year, especially with Hextall trading to get him at that spot and then the year he just had.

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
ROR is a better player than Patrick right now and would likely be among the top 3 forwards in ice time if he were brought in. Wouldn’t look at him as a “3C”.
So you'd keep Patrick as a 3C in the long term? I'm sure the flyers would love to have Patrick developing as their 3C...

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
He can also play either wing, and would look exceptional on Patrick's left side.

Fitting his cap may be a concern, as well as the cost to acquire him. But to say the Flyers couldnt use a ROR is hogwash.
The "he can also play wing" argument is ridiculous. If you are trading for a player making 7.5 mil in the long term, you don't make that trade assuming they will excel outside of their primary position. What if he doesn't perform well at wing in our top 6? Then do you just jam him in the top 9 for years to come with that salary? We need scoring wingers. We have depth down the middle.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
So you'd keep Patrick as a 3C in the long term? I'm sure the flyers would love to have Patrick developing as their 3C...

Peoples roles could be fluid. That's the biggest benefit of acquiring ROR to me. He could play as a 2LW with Patrick to overload the top 6. Or we could use him as a 3C against a team where we need the matchup, like the Penguins for example.

If the game were at home, wed match couturier against Crosby, ROR against malkin, then let Patrick run riot on their 3rd and 4th lines.

Against a team whose depth isnt as good, let him play with Patrick and just create tremendous pressure.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The "he can also play wing" argument is ridiculous. If you are trading for a player making 7.5 mil in the long term, you don't make that trade assuming they will excel outside of their primary position. What if he doesn't perform well at wing in our top 6? Then do you just jam him in the top 9 for years to come with that salary? We need scoring wingers. We have depth down the middle.

Ror has played wing in the past, and for LONG stretches of time. It's not even debatable if he could do it. Hell, his best season in Colorado was at wing, IIRC.

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
Ror has played wing in the past, and for LONG stretches of time. It's not even debatable if he could do it. Hell, his best season in Colorado was at wing, IIRC.
I just do not believe in a trade of that magnitude assuming the player will succeed outside his primary position. Also, I want nothing to do with his contract. Our top 6 will be extremely expensive for years to come. Top 9 assuming Patrick is the 2C.

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
Peoples roles could be fluid. That's the biggest benefit of acquiring ROR to me. He could play as a 2LW with Patrick to overload the top 6. Or we could use him as a 3C against a team where we need the matchup, like the Penguins for example.

If the game were at home, wed match couturier against Crosby, ROR against malkin, then let Patrick run tier on their 3rd and 4th lines.

Against a team whose depth isnt as good, let him play with Patrick and just create tremendous pressure.
That sounds great and all but I do not see our coaching staff changing our lines game to game. It's all about chemistry and that would make things extremely difficult.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

He’d be playing with very talented wingers and who knows what the ice time would look like in 2-3 years. But I doubt the Flyers would mind if they could slide Patrick behind Couturier and ROR. Sure, it could change in 2-3 years. You’re underselling ROR.

Reactions: hatcher

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Patrick and provy could be asked about but they won’t even be in consideration. The 2nd and 3rd overall picks this year are not on the table so why would a NHLer that was just the 2nd overall pick be there? He didn’t struggle either, his slow start dealt with his offseason surgery. Hextall won’t move him.

Again if your GM doesn’t like what he sees keep him. But it’s gonna be what teams consider a “fair trade”, not a team overpaying for him. Just how I see it.
I wouldn't trade Patrick and Provy for Eichel, never mind O'Reilly... Geesh.

Reactions: TheKingPin

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I just do not believe in a trade of that magnitude assuming the player will succeed outside his primary position. Also, I want nothing to do with his contract. Our top 6 will be extremely expensive for years to come. Top 9 assuming Patrick is the 2C.

RoR's primary position isn't C or LW, it's F2.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
That sounds great and all but I do not see our coaching staff changing our lines game to game. It's all about chemistry and that would make things extremely difficult.

Then our coaching staff will never win anything anyway, and this is all moot. You don't just get to roll your lines and hope it works. Coaches are there at the games to make adjustments. If they dont, they're dead in the water. See the series against the penguins aa a prime example.

As for 'assuming'he can play outside of his normal position- it's not assuming anything. Hes already demonstrated in the past that he can on multiple occasions. With a lot of success.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He’d be playing with very talented wingers and who knows what the ice time would look like in 2-3 years. But I doubt the Flyers would mind if they could slide Patrick behind Couturier and ROR. Sure, it could change in 2-3 years. You’re underselling ROR.
His contract was semi front loaded too. We could move him in the last 3 years of his deal after paying his 5 mil signing bonus, and hed be owed 13 mil over 3 years at a 7.5 hit. Ideal for whoever is cap flooring at the time.

Could also be an expansion candidate if frost comes in and impresses and Patrick continues to grow. Move him to a team that doesnt have their expansion slots filled for a player who does ( a la a sergachev for drouin deal).

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
His contract was semi front loaded too. We could move him in the last 3 years of his deal after paying his 5 mil signing bonus, and hed be owed 13 mil over 3 years at a 7.5 hit. Ideal for whoever is cap flooring at the time.

Could also be an expansion candidate if frost comes in and impresses and Patrick continues to grow. Move him to a team that doesnt have their expansion slots filled for a player who does ( a la a sergachev for drouin deal).

All possible. If I acquire ROR though, I do so with the intent on him being a main piece of the core until his contract is up.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
All possible. If I acquire ROR though, I do so with the intent on him being a main piece of the core until his contract is up.

100 % agreed. But if we pretend its utopia and all prospects hit and we need space, he becomes expendable, etc, there options to move him. The only downside to his acquisition would be the cost to acquire, if were being honest

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
100 % agreed. But if we pretend its utopia and all prospects hit and we need space, he becomes expendable, etc, there options to move him. The only downside to his acquisition would be the cost to acquire, if were being honest
We got what it takes atleast.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

Agreed. I think he’d require one of Frost/Sanheim/Myers but I’d give up 14+19+ if that would get it done.

ItMe

Jan 4, 2017
Why would the acquisition of ROR solidify Patrick being placed on the 3rd line? ROR on the 3rd line really wouldn't be terrible because he would make the 3rd line dangerous, and he would still get time on PP2, PK, and OT situations. I'd love to see Hextall make this happen!

Moondog47

Feb 5, 2014
I don't understand the concerns with getting ROR from a lineup perspective. My first thought would be that they want a even top 9 with 3 strong, defensively responsible centers. If ROR can hold his own with some of his previous linemates, I'm sure he can do fine with the wingers the Flyers give him.

If not trying to have a very balanced top 9, I don't see the issue with ROR taking "2C" role and Patrick taking "3C" role for a year or two and then it switching once Patrick develops and ROR hits 30 and might be better suited for a more "3C" role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->