Rumor: Flyers interested in Curtis Glencross

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
No need to ask Glencross to waive unless the package coming back is ridiculous.

We're better off keeping promises to our players and playing the heart and soul guys that want to be here.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Let me run you through the phone convo
Holmgren- ' Hey Jay, we're interested in Glenny, and we're willing to pay big'
Feaster- ' Alright, I like where this is going, let me just go check with Glen'
*Goes and grabs a coffee and a donut*
Feaster- ' Ya sorry he said no, nothing I could do... Want Butler?'
Holmgren- ' No'
Feaster- ' Thought not, well can't blame a guy for trying. Let me know if you get an 'Owksi, preferably pre-apex. Talk to you later'
Holmgren- ' Call me back if Glencross wants to lose here instead of there!'

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Where is this rumour?

On the main board with a few twitter posts/sources. The OP should probably edit his post to include them. Here they are:

per Frank Seravelli
Quote:
One name the Flyers have been kicking around is winger Curtis Glencross, who has been playing on Calgary's first line. Glencross, 30, netted 26 points in 40 games last season. He has 24- and 26-goal seasons on his resume, he's consistent, and he's one of the few players on Calgary's roster to play a gritty game.
Quote:
The Flames are desperate for a defenseman to play with Mark Giordano and the Flyers have a glut of high-priced blue-liners. Even without trading a defenseman, the Flyers could fit a player like Glencross' $2.55 million salary-cap hit on the books - if he were willing to move his no-trade clause.
Quote:
Last week, the Flyers sent assistant general manager Ron Hextall and director of scouting Chris Pryor to Washington for Calgary's first game of the season. Head pro scout Dave Brown traveled to Columbus for Calgary's matchup the following night.

_________

Packages that would interest me:

1. Luke Schenn
2. Laughton + 1st
3. Couts
4. Morin + 2nd

Last edited:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Well the Flyers are struggling to score goals and are pretty tight against the cap. I wonder if the Flames could trade Stempniak + Glencross to help their offensive woes and in return get Courts + Gustaffson

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
If Glencross would waive, which he wouldn't. We would need a defenseman coming back that would be in his prime in 4 years so he can help when we are competing not just now

fallsviewafro*

Every trade thread involving Glencross should be auto-locked. He's not going anywhere; we don't want him leaving, he doesn't want to leave, and the team doesn't want him to leave.

Why in God's name do people bring up his name in trade rumours? He's not going anywhere.

If for some terribly stupid reason Feaster asked him to waive, that would be an embarrassment. Signing at a discount with a NTC isn't enough? The guy loves Calgary and has his family life firmly rooted there. I'll never understand why people constantly bring him up.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Its a good time to pull the trigger. After a knee-jerk firing of Laviolette, its clear that Holmgren doesn't have a lot of patience. We capitalized on a Montreal panic with the Cammy deal, I think we can do the same here with Philly.

fallsviewafro*

Outside of a lateral-at-best return in terms of team needs, what message does that send to guys who actually WANT to be here?

Yeah, sign at a discount with a NTC because you love the place and want to keep your family here and you're committed to the organisation... Don't worry, even though we probably had a handshake deal to keep you here, we'll ask you to waive anyways.

Bush league **** is what that is.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
All it is is speculation that the Flyers are interested in Glencross and not ready to offer anything. He's not going anywhere.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
When talking trades and flames in the same sentence of coarse Glencross name will come up when discussing 29 teams trade wants and options.

Point is Feaster can easily just say it can't happen. No matter what. No one is going to over pay for him anyway, so it's silly to even mention him in trade rumors. If you can find more players (which we have) that sign or ask to be traded here then the better.

Outside of the untouchables in Philly there is no one I am interested in on that roster. At the same time, every other team looking at the flames can say the same thing, outside of the untouchables, you are left with Stempniak and Cammy

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Outside of a lateral-at-best return in terms of team needs, what message does that send to guys who actually WANT to be here?

Yeah, sign at a discount with a NTC because you love the place and want to keep your family here and you're committed to the organisation... Don't worry, even though we probably had a handshake deal to keep you here, we'll ask you to waive anyways.

Bush league **** is what that is.

Well the goals have changed since Glenny signed his contract. He's post apex....

But ultimately I agree that the Flames need to protect their image among players if they hope to become a competitor after rebuilding the core. Eventually they will pursue free agents

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Well the goals have changed since Glenny signed his contract. He's post apex....

But ultimately I agree that the Flames need to protect their image among players if they hope to become a competitor after rebuilding the core. Eventually they will pursue free agents

Uh he is only 30 he may be at the peak but not post apex at all.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Uh he is only 30 he may be at the peak but not post apex at all.

To further that point, he takes his fitness rather serious even in the off season. Plain and simple, he is the exact type of vet you want around the young guys. Especially one who was never drafted and worked his ass off to get to where he is now

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Maybe so but like you say, the Flames need to protect their imagine and more importantly keep their word.

fallsviewafro*

Hahaha, the "post-apex" thing is a tongue-in-cheek reference to Feaster's comment on not going after "post-apex free agents."

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Negative on Glenny. Stemps or Jiri I'd listen.
Massive overpayment or nothing.

Aug 3, 2010
"Flyers interested in Curtis Glencross"

3tfzyg.jpg

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'd call this speculation more than anything but they've had scouts attending each others' games... That said, the "facts" might be a bit distorted.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20131007_Poor_Flyers_start_fuels_trade_buzz.html

One name the Flyers have been kicking around is winger Curtis Glencross, who has been playing on Calgary's first line. Glencross, 30, netted 26 points in 40 games last season. He has 24- and 26-goal seasons on his resume, he's consistent, and he's one of the few players on Calgary's roster to play a gritty game.

The Flames are desperate for a defenseman to play with Mark Giordano and the Flyers have a glut of high-priced blue-liners. Even without trading a defenseman, the Flyers could fit a player like Glencross' $2.55 million salary-cap hit on the books - if he were willing to move his no-trade clause.

Last week, the Flyers sent assistant general manager Ron Hextall and director of scouting Chris Pryor to Washington for Calgary's first game of the season. Head pro scout Dave Brown traveled to Columbus for Calgary's matchup the following night.

And a Flames representative was one of 13 scouts from Western Conference teams to show up last week at the Wells Fargo Center for the Flyers' opener.

Last night, Flyers scout John Chapman was in Calgary to see the Flames reopen the Saddledome. The Flames' East Coast scout, Steve Leach, along with three other teams' scouts, was in Carolina to take in the Flyers and Hurricanes last night

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...art_fuels_trade_buzz.html#moGQRWTK0TKoAACo.99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad