News Article: Flyers' fast-starting Read gets promotion

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Flyers' fast-starting Read gets promotion

Two games into the season, Flyers winger Matt Read has earned a promotion.

Read, coming off consecutive disappointing seasons, has a goal and is second on the team with eight shots. He played primarily on the fourth line in the first two games but moved to left wing on the third unit during practice Monday at Johnny's IceHouse in Chicago.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20161018_Flyers__fast-starting_Read_gets_promotion.html

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Except he's not playing well. He had a very nice play but has been quite porous otherwise. If he can string some of those plays together, though, I'll be ok with him being in the lineup.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Except he's not playing well. He had a very nice play but has been quite porous otherwise. If he can string some of those plays together, though, I'll be ok with him being in the lineup.

Eh I dont know if I agree with that. I think so far, he has looked more like the previous Matt Read. He is finally going into corners, forchecking and making smart plays with the puck. He is being aggressive which was a huge positive for him his good seasons. The main problem the past two seasons is that he stopped doing this.

I hated on his the past two seasons. He looked like an AHL player. He has looked good the first two games.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Eh I dont know if I agree with that. I think so far, he has looked more like the previous Matt Read. He is finally going into corners, forchecking and making smart plays with the puck. He is being aggressive which was a huge positive for him his good seasons. The main problem the past two seasons is that he stopped doing this.

I hated on his the past two seasons. He looked like an AHL player. He has looked good the first two games.

I just see him continuing to be too passive on the PK and mishandling the puck in the offensive zone, along with some really poor zone entries. Once Schenn is back, he and Vandevelde should not be playing, IMO.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He's been solid the first two games. Nothing crazy. I'm not sure if this is really a promotion or just some re-shuffling though.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
He's going to the net - that is a big change from last year. His hands are still a bit suspect, but his wheels are okay. If we can trade him, lets get something and let LV take someone else later.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Lol well I should I have said "realistic" best case scenario

Yeah, it's not realistic. A lot of fans think Vegas might take their big ticket disappointments, but it just doesn't make sense for them to that.

There was a mock ED done by a website a few months ago that had Vegas taking guys like Brown and Girardi. But when I added up the total cap hits it was well over $70m, and they only need to get to $43.8m with their 30 picks, and then they will have another three months of free agency to get to the cap floor.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, it's not realistic. A lot of fans think Vegas might take their big ticket disappointments, but it just doesn't make sense for them to that.

There was a mock ED done by a website a few months ago that had Vegas taking guys like Brown and Girardi. But when I added up the total cap hits it was well over $70m, and they only need to get to $43.8m with their 30 picks, and then they will have another three months of free agency to get to the cap floor.

If Read has a great season it would be realistic, and that is the scenario we were discussing.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
At the end of the day the expansion team while they should be much better than previous expansion teams. They're still going to be lacking high end talent which is still going to make them not really a good team overall to start. So they're gonna have accumulate a lot of draft picks in the early going still. They're gonna have to high volume draft there. So I think guys with expiring contracts that can be later flipped for picks are going to be a focus for LV in trying to accomplish that goal while helping them get to the cap.

So I've said it all along that Read might be the most attractive piece we have to LV at the end of the day unless guys like Cousins, Laughton, or Stolarz really surge this year which I don't envision.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think he also benefits from playing with two bigger players. Last season him and Cousins and Laughton had no chemistry at all and were basically just pushed around.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
This is obviously not sustainable. But if he ends up with 15 goals and 30 points, doing what he does defensively at ES and on the PK, I'd call that a great rebound year. Really, it was last year that wasn't sustainable with phenomenal possession stats and unbelievably bad shooting percentages. He seems to be a little more aggressive to the net this season, but he's finally catching some puck luck too so far, while still looking good. I'm very happy, as a supporter of his throughout last year, to see him get off whipping boy status.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->