Value of: Flyers draft day trades

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
If they decide to go the free agent route for a veteran dman instead of a trade, I wouldn't mind Edler.
The Flyers could do a lot worse than Edler on a short term deal. Another guy I would be looking at if they can't land a big fish would be Anton Stralman. You'd be banking on him bouncing back from a down injury plagued season. However, he could be the veteran RH top four D they need, at a bargain price. He also has experience playing in a key role with AV.

I would much rather land Karlsson, Trouba, Spurgeon, etc, but again a guy like Edler or Stralman would be a definite upgrade. The Flyers could really use the type of veteran experience and leadership guys like them provide as well.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
WTF has Trouba done to even be compared to Pronger and EK? Nothing. So no, an expiring RFA won't command the same.

Flyers need a Vet dman with skill and leadership, Trouba isn't that. I don't know who they need to be honest, could be someone like Spurgeon (who would probably) cost less than Trouba both acquisition wise, and cap wise.
I'm not so sure that Trouba would cost that much more than Spurgeon. More, yes, a lot more, I doubt it. The ridiculous asking prices from some Jets fans on this board are starting to effect reality when it comes to Trouba's value. Think about this, someone offered Ghost and the 41st pick and someone said the Flyers would have to had something considerable to that.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Whileee

May 29, 2010
And why would Trouba agree to an extension with Philly, The most plausible out come would be to either Detroit or Florida with an extension. As those teams are higher on his radar.
Trouba has been playing a year or two at a time on below market value contracts. My bet is that he'll want to get to a US market and cash in ASAP rather than playing yet another year on a below market value contract.

Jets will likely let teams work out a deal prior to trading him. As long as two or three teams have a mutual interest, Jets should get a good return.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I would be curious on a one for one trade what the 11th could get.

At the same time I would gladly add more to get a player that truly and solves those primary needs.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I'm going to assume a bias towards guys with a history with the flyers fletch or av in who they may persue. They have the assets and capspace to acquire any name that comes up but the ones that come to mind are carter and spurgeon in trades as well as williams coburn zuccarello and edler in free agency along with the premier guys karlson panarin and possibly duchene. Im unsure of who else could be of interest or available on the trade front.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You have your opinion and I have mine good luck trading or hopefully signing him long term cheers. By the way top pairing doesn't mean clear number 1 as I posted.

The thing is his is base on fact . Your is on your opinion . 1C and 1 RHD are the 2 most important piece in hockey . Now if your argument is Trouba isn't a #1D you may have an argument but at worst he is a top pairing which makes him more valuable . Now that is also subjective . A team like Nashville would value Stone more but if you are starting a team today and could have 2 choices of anyone . You start with a 1D and a 1C first

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
The thing is his is base on fact . Your is on your opinion . 1C and 1 RHD are the 2 most important piece in hockey . Now if your argument is Trouba isn't a #1D you may have an argument but at worst he is a top pairing which makes him more valuable . Now that is also subjective . A team like Nashville would value Stone more but if you are starting a team today and could have 2 choices of anyone . You start with a 1D and a 1C first

Everybody should value Mark Stone more. He is a much more well rounded player. You know exactly what you'll get from him. 70+ points and Selke level defense. He could/should win the Selke this year to become the first winger since 2002-2003 to do that. He's been doing this for the past 6 season.

I'm not saying Jacob Trouba is a bad player or that #1RHD isn't one of the 2 or 3 most important positions on a hockey team. The fact is that he's only had 1 season where he's proven to be worth anywhere near the money that he is seeking. To say Mark Stone is less valuable than Jacob Trouba at this current moment is fairly ludicrous.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
To say Mark Stone is less valuable than Jacob Trouba at this current moment is fairly ludicrous.

Not really. Winger is the easiest position in hockey to fill. #1RHD is the hardest to fill, along with 1C, especially when that RHD is just entering his prime.

Just because you like a certain player more and don't know much about the other, doesn't make them more valuable. That's ludicrous.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Not really. Winger is the easiest position in hockey to fill. #1RHD is the hardest to fill, along with 1C, especially when that RHD is just entering his prime.

Just because you like a certain player more and don't know much about the other, doesn't make them more valuable. That's ludicrous.

Got it. Jets fan who overvalues Trouba.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Got it. Flyers fan that doesn't understand hockey.

Man, your the one in a Flyers thread telling us how Gostisbehere + 41OA isn't close to the value of Trouba. You offer no statistics surround why this is the case. Other Jets fans on this board have accepted that deal as well as others that you claim to be nowhere near enough. All you have to say is Trouba is more valuable than Stone because he is a RHD. Does that make Radko Gudas more valuable Nikita Kucherov???

You've pointed out that I'm a Flyers fan, so what loyalties would I have to Mark Stone? You tell me that I value one player more because I don't know much about the other. I could make the same case toward you. You see Jacob Trouba in Jets biased light, but probably didn't watch much of Mark Stone until he was in your conference.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Man, your the one in a Flyers thread telling us how Gostisbehere + 41OA isn't close to the value of Trouba. You offer no statistics surround why this is the case. Other Jets fans on this board have accepted that deal as well as others that you claim to be nowhere near enough. All you have to say is Trouba is more valuable than Stone because he is a RHD. Does that make Radko Gudas more valuable Nikita Kucherov???

You've pointed out that I'm a Flyers fan, so what loyalties would I have to Mark Stone? You tell me that I value one player more because I don't know much about the other. I could make the same case toward you. You see Jacob Trouba in Jets biased light, but probably didn't watch much of Mark Stone until he was in your conference.
You must be thinking of someone else. I said Ghost + 40 was close, but I would want more. Simply for the drop of in defensive ability the Jets would take.

For your silly Gudas comparison. Is Gudas a top pair RHD? No. So, that is a pretty silly comparison.

As far as Stone, he's great, I would love to have him, although not with his new contract. However, as I said, winger is the easiest position in hockey to fill while 1RHD is one of the hardest. Everyone knows that. It has nothing to do with who you think is the better player, it's just being objective. Finding a winger that can produce like Stone is far easier to do than finding an RHD like Trouba that can play against the opposition's top lines, game in, game out and win those match ups.

You're thinking of it emotionally instead of objectively.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
You must be thinking of someone else. I said Ghost + 40 was close, but I would want more. Simply for the drop of in defensive ability the Jets would take.

For your silly Gudas comparison. Is Gudas a top pair RHD? No. So, that is a pretty silly comparison.

As far as Stone, he's great, I would love to have him, although not with his new contract. However, as I said, winger is the easiest position in hockey to fill while 1RHD is one of the hardest. Everyone knows that. It has nothing to do with who you think is the better player, it's just being objective. Finding a winger that can produce like Stone is far easier to do than finding an RHD like Trouba that can play against the opposition's top lines, game in, game out and win those match ups.

You're thinking of it emotionally instead of objectively.

Gostisbehere's defensive shortcomings are overexaggerated. Is he or will be even be as good defensively as Trouba? No probably not. But offensively he's better at the moment. I thought you were the one who said Gostisbehere +41OA would need a major add. If not, my bad.

My argument surrounding Stone and Trouba (who are both great players that I would love to have on my team, even for the price) is that one has been a complete player for the majority of his career, while the other just had a career year before an offseason where he will (probably) get paid. Stone has been, and probably will be, a great addition to Vegas. Can the same be said about Trouba? That is yet to be determined. He could go to Philly, Detroit, NY, Florida, Tampa, wherever, and play better, the same, or worse depending on the situation. I would love for him to come to Philly, sign long-term, and continue to grow and improve. But I'm just basing what I'm saying off what each player has done off over the course of their entire careers. My opinion is that Mark Stone is a top 10, all around RW in the NHL. There are better offensive RW, but none that match him defensively. I'm not sure if Jacob Trouba is a top 10 RHD, not after 1 fantastic season. If he plays the same way or better next year (whether it be in Winnipeg or elsewhere), I'd be much more inclined to stick him in the top 10.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Gostisbehere's defensive shortcomings are overexaggerated. Is he or will be even be as good defensively as Trouba? No probably not. But offensively he's better at the moment. I thought you were the one who said Gostisbehere +41OA would need a major add. If not, my bad.

My argument surrounding Stone and Trouba (who are both great players that I would love to have on my team, even for the price) is that one has been a complete player for the majority of his career, while the other just had a career year before an offseason where he will (probably) get paid. Stone has been, and probably will be, a great addition to Vegas. Can the same be said about Trouba? That is yet to be determined. He could go to Philly, Detroit, NY, Florida, Tampa, wherever, and play better, the same, or worse depending on the situation. I would love for him to come to Philly, sign long-term, and continue to grow and improve. But I'm just basing what I'm saying off what each player has done off over the course of their entire careers. My opinion is that Mark Stone is a top 10, all around RW in the NHL. There are better offensive RW, but none that match him defensively. I'm not sure if Jacob Trouba is a top 10 RHD, not after 1 fantastic season. If he plays the same way or better next year (whether it be in Winnipeg or elsewhere), I'd be much more inclined to stick him in the top 10.
Well see, by saying Trouba has only been at this level for one year, is saying you really don't know much about him.

Trouba has been playing top pair, RHD shut down minutes against the opposition's top players for the last 3 years and winning those match ups consistently, not just for one year as you infer. That's why he has a high value. So, Trouba doesn't need to improve to get there, he's already there. His extra offense this year was due to injuries and finally getting some time on the PP and in other offensive situations that he normally doesn't get, as we use him to handle the heavy defensive situations.

I'll agree that Ghost is better offensively, but not so much better that it negates how much worse he is defensively.

As for the comparisons with Stone we should just drop that as it's muddying the waters and one really has nothing to do with the other. Other than to show that trade and signs can work.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I fully agree that Centers and Defense hold more value in terms of trade when all things are equal. Problem with the scenario you are talking about is I don't think all things are equal(ie Stone is a better player then Trouba). The only thing driving up Trouba's value before the season is you get a full season not just a playoff run, that being said if a person can't sign Trouba to an extension his value decreases

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I fully agree that Centers and Defense hold more value in terms of trade when all things are equal. Problem with the scenario you are talking about is I don't think all things are equal(ie Stone is a better player then Trouba). The only thing driving up Trouba's value before the season is you get a full season not just a playoff run, that being said if a person can't sign Trouba to an extension his value decreases
Yes, his value would decrease in that case. We've been talking about an extended Trouba as that is the best and most logical scenario for Trouba, the Jets and his new team. So, the rental situation would be a separate discussion.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Mcdonagh returned a good roster player, a first rounder, a potential 1st rounder, and 2 decent prospects.
He was not traded for that much... Mcdonagh and J.T Miller were traded for that much.

Unless Philly is planning to bunch together a few high draft picks and a couple of good roster pieces, yeah... it's going to cost a Frost or Farabee
I doubt it.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He's only walking next year if a team gives him a one year contract, which they won't.
Meant walking from Jets as he's only signing extension with team of his choice hence trade value is limited. Now if he was signed already and could be moved to any team then his value would be higher.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I agree 1D and 1C is worth the most and would even say 1D is worth more then 1C as there really is a lot less actual 1D's then 1C's. There are 60 plus players playing top pairing in league but actual 1D's are there maybe 15? Maybe my definition of 1D is different and I'm thinking elite D but that's what a 1D is to me. Trouba is not a elite 1D he is a top pairing for sure but not close to being elite.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Its pretty obvious no matter what happens in real life some jets fans will be disappointed. Really most sellers are. You aren’t trading this player bc you want to. You are bc you have to. Therefore you get less than that player is worth.

Reactions: Devonator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad