Value of: Flyers draft day trades

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Ghost for 4 years at 4.5 million is worth more than Trouba at 7-8 million for 7 years.

Trouba likely gets 1 very good asset back. But they they won't get a Ghost+ #11 for example.

Let's let the Trouba talk end for now and both teams can look elsewhere.

Reactions: Starat327

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
What exactly is he looking for?

I wouldn’t trust the judgement of the coaching these last few years. They regularly played guys that aren’t even in the NHL or North America anymore. I’d rather have Ghost at his cap over Trouba at doubt that. Ghost was injured at the end of the year but showed he can play top pair. Provy struggled a lot this year and that made for more on Ghost at times. With all the D the flyers have they should be fine, just a matter if trouba helps them speed things up and how fast that will be and how much that matters. If trouba signs a long deal around 6 I’d trade ghost. I wouldn’t trade Myers for him. And I wouldn’t want to part with that 11OA pick as those players are looking great right now.

Maybe the Jets just hold on to him for a year and the flyers sign him in UFA.
It's not just the judgement of the Flyers coaching staff. I'm going by advanced stats and talk from the Flyers' board about Ghost's defensive struggles.

I think Trouba will be looking for top dollar for a young, top pairing RHD. No team friendly discounts.

I understand not wanting to give up your 11th pick or good prospects. You just may need to set your sights lower then. You won't get a defenseman of Trouba's calibre for what fans are offering in this thread.

You won't have a shot at him in UFA. He'll be traded to a team where he is willing to extend this summer. So, if you want him you'll probably need to beat out at least 3 or 4 other offers.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I'd rather have Trouba than Ghost. I'd rather have cheap Ghost and a first round pick over expensive Trouba and no first round pick. If you can do it for a second+Ghost under the assumption Trouba signs for ~$7-7.5 mill or (ideally but unrealistically) less, then sign me up. Without that guarantee though, it gets sticky.

I think the 11th and Gudas is also a good starting point, with small adds possible. Decently high pick, very good #4 RHD with a year left on a very cheap contract. Gudas is probably a more appealing piece to trade to a contending team than most realize, given his handedness, defensive ability, and low cost.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I'd rather have Trouba than Ghost. I'd rather have cheap Ghost and a first round pick over expensive Trouba and no first round pick. If you can do it for a second+Ghost under the assumption Trouba signs for ~$7-7.5 mill or (ideally but unrealistically) less, then sign me up. Without that guarantee though, it gets sticky.

I think the 11th and Gudas is also a good starting point, with small adds possible. Decently high pick, very good #4 RHD with a year left on a very cheap contract. Gudas is probably a more appealing piece to trade to a contending team than most realize, given his handedness, defensive ability, and low cost.
The Jets would give permission for the Flyers to talk to Trouba's agent before a deal. So, the Flyers would know what Trouba is willing to extend for before they make the deal and decide if they are willing to pay that.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Hmm Turris would be interesting for 3C. Nashville would have to retain or give the Flyers something hugely enticing to take on 6 million for the next 5 seasons though. I'm didn't pay close attention, were his struggles this season due to injury or just declining?

Ellis, I would be interested in. Subban, I don't think there is a trade to be worked out. It looks like Nashville would like a 1 for 1 trade for a scoring winger. We don't really have one that we could spare at the moment. What would you suggest as a trade for Ellis or Turris?

Apparently Turris broke his foot and then re-broke his foot this season.

Ellis or Turris I could say traded for the best top 6 forward available, or a 1st rounder +, I'd be willing to accept cap dumps, although I don't know if my fellow Pred fans would agree with me.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
It's not just the judgement of the Flyers coaching staff. I'm going by advanced stats and talk from the Flyers' board about Ghost's defensive struggles.

I think Trouba will be looking for top dollar for a young, top pairing RHD. No team friendly discounts.

I understand not wanting to give up your 11th pick or good prospects. You just may need to set your sights lower then. You won't get a defenseman of Trouba's calibre for what fans are offering in this thread.

You won't have a shot at him in UFA. He'll be traded to a team where he is willing to extend this summer. So, if you want him you'll probably need to beat out at least 3 or 4 other offers.

Not aware of those stats. You cited the coaching decision.

Anyway, I agree it may not be a good fit if he’s looking for a big contract. At least not for ghost. I’d rather not sign a new guy to 9 mill a year only to have Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers all looking for money soon. I think they will look for a top 4 D and a 2C. Fill one by ufa and the other by trade. Maybe they sign EK and trade for a 2C in a hockey trade.

Reactions: Tripod

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Not aware of those stats. You cited the coaching decision.

Anyway, I agree it may not be a good fit if he’s looking for a big contract. At least not for ghost. I’d rather not sign a new guy to 9 mill a year only to have Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers all looking for money soon. I think they will look for a top 4 D and a 2C. Fill one by ufa and the other by trade. Maybe they sign EK and trade for a 2C in a hockey trade.

I would be very pleased with this offseason if the Flyers sign EK and trade for a legit 2C.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Why are you guys looking for a 2C ? Don’t you have G and Couts and Patrick? Is that really not good enough C depth?

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I posted this before but maybe 11OA and 2nd/3rd for brodie calgary 1st
Or 11OA for brodie and 2nd

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why are you guys looking for a 2C ? Don’t you have G and Couts and Patrick? Is that really not good enough C depth?
Giroux has been on LW and is expected to be there again. Playing him there hopefully helps to preserve his body and it's hard to argue with the results so far.

This past year:

Giroux and JVR produced as 1st liners at ES, Lindblom as a 2nd liner
Voracek and Konecny produced as 1st liners at ES, Hartman as a 2nd liner

But at C, Couts produced as a #1C, Patrick and Laughton as 3rd liners. Essentially, we just want a 1 year stopgap at C in case Frost is not ready next year. A backup plan if you will. We don't want to sign Hayes for example. We would much rather trade for a Koivu for example. Someone who can play the #2, #3 or even the #4C if Frost comes in and shows he is more than ready.

It's more "prepare for the worst, hope for the best". In reality, we might not...and really, should not need it. But if Frost is not ready, then it defaults to possibly Vorobyev. And we should not go with Patrick, Laughton, Vorobyev as the #2-4 C next year, IMO.

Of course they could look at it and just say if Frost is not ready, then Giroux DOES move over for a few months and if Frost doesn't look like he will be ready, make a move during the season. But Fletch did make the comment he would be looking for a C.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Giroux has been on LW and is expected to be there again. Playing him there hopefully helps to preserve his body and it's hard to argue with the results so far.

This past year:

Giroux and JVR produced as 1st liners at ES, Lindblom as a 2nd liner
Voracek and Konecny produced as 1st liners at ES, Hartman as a 2nd liner

But at C, Couts produced as a #1C, Patrick and Laughton as 3rd liners. Essentially, we just want a 1 year stopgap at C in case Frost is not ready next year. A backup plan if you will. We don't want to sign Hayes for example. We would much rather trade for a Koivu for example. Someone who can play the #2, #3 or even the #4C if Frost comes in and shows he is more than ready.

It's more "prepare for the worst, hope for the best". In reality, we might not...and really, should not need it. But if Frost is not ready, then it defaults to possibly Vorobyev. And we should not go with Patrick, Laughton, Vorobyev as the #2-4 C next year, IMO.

Of course they could look at it and just say if Frost is not ready, then Giroux DOES move over for a few months and if Frost doesn't look like he will be ready, make a move during the season. But Fletch did make the comment he would be looking for a C.
You would know better than me but I would rather give Patrick the opportunity as 2C before I trade the 11oa for a stopgap. Also I knew frost was a blue chipper but didn’t know he was a center. Thought he was LW.

You guys could blow it up with something really crazy like patrick plus 11th for jost plus 4th :sarcasm:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
no argument with any of this, except for that OP specifically said 2C, explicitly.
That Dea/DeA has emerged is basis [with correct add] to command the pick in return.
No ?, we are robbing Peter to pay Paul there.
But I think it makes sense long term.

hence the significant add of Strome, who sucked prior to coming to Rangers, and whether that is maturity kicking in or chemistry, this former 5OA talent looked fully the part of 2C material.
You know strome shot at 23% as a ranger rjght?

He’s not a 2C

Your proposal is tilted towards the rangers as per usual

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You would know better than me but I would rather give Patrick the opportunity as 2C before I trade the 11oa for a stopgap. Also I knew frost was a blue chipper but didn’t know he was a center. Thought he was LW.

You guys could blow it up with something really crazy like patrick plus 11th for jost plus 4th :sarcasm:
lol...naw...we good.

And we won't be trading #11 for a stopgap. Not a chance. And Patrick very well could be the#2C next year. The top 62C...so 2nd line....produced 34 ES points last year. Patrick had 29 in 72 games. So it's not like he is far off.

We are just in that weird spot of not having anyone proven who can produce at that level...except Giroux who we want at LW. But we really could have Patrick and Frost BOTH produce at that level next year. It's more about the fear of the uncertainty. We could just as easily add a #3C and just move Laughton down to the 4th line.

As for Frost, yeah he has played C in Jr....even when playing with Hayton....Hayton moved to wing. Which was why it was really odd in the WJC that it was Frost who moved to LW...even when playing with Hayton.

Hopefully Jost turns things around for you guys.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
lol...naw...we good.

And we won't be trading #11 for a stopgap. Not a chance. And Patrick very well could be the#2C next year. The top 62C...so 2nd line....produced 34 ES points last year. Patrick had 29 in 72 games. So it's not like he is far off.

We are just in that weird spot of not having anyone proven who can produce at that level...except Giroux who we want at LW. But we really could have Patrick and Frost BOTH produce at that level next year. It's more about the fear of the uncertainty. We could just as easily add a #3C and just move Laughton down to the 4th line.

As for Frost, yeah he has played C in Jr....even when playing with Hayton....Hayton moved to wing. Which was why it was really odd in the WJC that it was Frost who moved to LW...even when playing with Hayton.

Hopefully Jost turns things around for you guys.
Thanks but I’m just a friendly devils fan and not an avs fan... just trying to have some fun. I don’t really think you guys have too many holes now that you have carter hart which was probably the biggest hole to fill. I would stand pat hoping your players like patrick and frost and hart take that next step in development next year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Thanks but I’m just a friendly devils fan and not an avs fan... just trying to have some fun. I don’t really think you guys have too many holes now that you have carter hart which was probably the biggest hole to fill. I would stand pat hoping your players like patrick and frost and hart take that next step in development next year.
Lol...I didn't even notice the name. Enjoyed watching Nico here in
Halifax. Great kid!

Flyers fans just think Fletch will try and put his mark on thus team and has said he will look for a C and a Dman. It's a damn sin that these kids had had to lean on Andrew MacDonald. Or should I say drag him around. Adding a good defensive Dman fir these guys to lean on would really help.

Most of us are scared, and excited for what could happen. Excited if it's something good. But scared to death it will be something face palm worthy.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Lol...I didn't even notice the name. Enjoyed watching Nico here in
Halifax. Great kid!

Flyers fans just think Fletch will try and put his mark on thus team and has said he will look for a C and a Dman. It's a damn sin that these kids had had to lean on Andrew MacDonald. Or should I say drag him around. Adding a good defensive Dman fir these guys to lean on would really help.

Most of us are scared, and excited for what could happen. Excited if it's something good. But scared to death it will be something face palm worthy.
He already made his mark by finally getting you guys a legit coach. The metro is going to be a bloodbath next year. Maybe add something really minor like lovejoy who is really solid in the proper role. Always liked him in nj - tough bottom pair D great pk great in the locker room. He’s been pretty solid with Dallas since the trade but again just using lovejoy as an example of adding something minor. And Brian Boyle could be a minor add for 4C and he can make his rounds in the metro lol also great in the locker room. Always thought Laughton was too good for 4th line duties.

Again I’m just using examples of players I know that would be cheap and not cost any assets to improve your team

Reactions: Tripod

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
That may work as a base. Although Philly would need to add more.
No they wouldn't everyone knows Trouba is walking next year so it's just for one year anyone is getting him for. Jets would be laughing getting Ghost and the 40th pick they could always flip him if he's not a need. Remember he's being traded as a rental now .

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Mcdonagh, Karlsson, Pronger didnt return a Frost or Farabee
Mcdonagh returned a good roster player, a first rounder, a potential 1st rounder, and 2 decent prospects.

Karlsson, who was traded as a one year rental nonetheless, was traded for a 1st and 2nd round pick, conditional 1st and 2nd round picks, 3 immediate roster players, and another prospect.

As for Pronger, I don't know which trade of his you're referring too, but both times he returned an (at the time) average-to-above-average player in Lupul, and at least two 1st rounders.

Unless Philly is planning to bunch together a few high draft picks and a couple of good roster pieces, yeah... it's going to cost a Frost or Farabee

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Trouba value compared to likes of Mcdonagh, karlsson and pronger?
wtf.gif

All 3 are better than trouba.. especially pronger and/or karlsson. I guess you could make a case for Mcdonagh down the road 2- years from now.. but trouba will ask for 8-9m a year... He asked for 7m before his last arbitration... 1st and Gudas as a starting offer and maybe a mid level pick maybe even former 1st round pick like O'Brien or maybe Rubtsov... Flyers already overpaying... jets will draft a very good player with 11 OA.. something that Mcdonagh/pronger or Karlsson did not get.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKingPin

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
up for trade 11OA pick, plus any other picksany prospect not named frost or farabee, roster players Hartman, Laughton, hagg and ghost for the right price

Looking for
-top/middle pairing RHD
-2nd line centre

Kadri for 11OA. Gets a fresh start, can play with JVR and gives Patrick time to grow into 1C/2C. Likely another pick from TML going back (late round).

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Kadri for 11OA. Gets a fresh start, can play with JVR and gives Patrick time to grow into 1C/2C. Likely another pick from TML going back (late round).
I would decline from Philly's pov. Toronto's tight cap and Kadri's lack of discipline would limit my counter-offer to a cheap roster player (Hagg), a goalie prospect (Ersson-Ustimenko) and a 2018 draftee (St Ivany-Wylie)

I have faith in Frost-Patrick as 2-3 c. Laughton perfect 4c.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
No they wouldn't everyone knows Trouba is walking next year so it's just for one year anyone is getting him for. Jets would be laughing getting Ghost and the 40th pick they could always flip him if he's not a need. Remember he's being traded as a rental now .
Sorry, he's not being traded as a rental. You're offer would be a start, but would need an add for Trouba with an extension.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
You don’t know if he will or not. What if Trouba absolutely wants to test the UFA market?
Then he would be incredibly stupid with a bad agent. He would be turning down a guaranteed $50 or so million for $6 million and risking a career ending injury. I just think most players are smarter than that... or at least their agents are.

I guess for discussion's sake we could break it down into two categories. Offers for an extended Trouba and offers for a one year rental Trouba.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->