Friedman: Flyers considering a reunion with Jeff Carter?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
yup, he will be good to help shelter the youth and only cost $2M a year in real money. Would be pretty bad on LA's part to even think of buying him out.

Carter is an asset to the Kings. He maybe not be to all teams given his age and contract. I get that, but he still is playing good hockey.
He is not an asset to the flyers past this season. Frost and or Patrick is the 3c in the future Couts 1 Hayes 2. So when flyer fan previously says no way unless he retires end of year i 100% get his point. I really question if he is asset this year as JVR and Carter on 3rd line is recipe for disaster in the playoffs on defense. If I knew Carter was retiring end of year ok I so much more get this. I rather have Pitlick and his speed at 1.6 in free agency than carter at 3m and esp at 5.25m. Carter in 20-21 is either 4c or 3rd line wing and even at 3m let alone 5.25 you are overpaying.carter is a 85' fiero. Maybe in 86 it has value not now.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Patrick is skate practicing. they are determining before deadline if he can contribute. He would need 2-3 weeks in ahl as his camp and get called up. Whatever Patrick adds this year is a bonus but 20-21 there are no issues.

No issues? The guy is injury prone and has migranes. He is less likely to have a good career at this point

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The issue is Carter for year 2 and 3.

Giroux Couts Konecny
Farabee Hayes Voracek
JVR Carter XXXX
Raffl Laughton Aube-Kubel

The Flyers have Frost who is ready now, despite Fletch wanting him to get more AHL time. But next year, he is more than ready. So yes, that could push Carter to the RW.

But then what if Patrick is ready too? Where does he play?

The only reason the Flyers are looking for a #3C right now is because they deem Frost not ready AND Patrick's migraines. Next year, at least one of those things will be ready(Frost) and hopefully 2. It's one of those things where if Carter had 1 year, it would be better than having 3.

But hey...Carter at 50% for Raffl+Bernhardt....sure.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
I wouldn’t be opposed to it as long as they didn’t give up anything substantial to get him. Obviously LA will need to retain.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Why? I understand why Flyers fans don't want to trade for him but acting like Carts is useless and should retire is ridiculous. What's funny is he's 2 goals shy of your team leader right now.
How dare you speak facts.. you also forgot to mention he's doing it on the LA Kings aka the Offensive Black Hole! On every other team he'd likely have 20+ goals already

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If Carter is only owed 2M in each of the last two years is there any chance that he accepts the trade with conditions that he retires at the end off the season? 4M isn’t chump change, but he’s made 69M (nice) so far in his career. With a couple cups won as well ain’t much left playing for.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
If Carter can still skate he can still be effective. I mean 7 GWG 51% on faceoffs about a hit per game.

KingsofLA

Jan 21, 2020
If Carter can still skate he can still be effective. I mean 7 GWG 51% on faceoffs about a hit per game.
He is not as fast as he was, but can keep up with the play. Plus another note is that he has one less goal than Toffoli

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
He is not as fast as he was, but can keep up with the play. Plus another note is that he has one less goal than Toffoli
yeah well Toffoli is 27 or 28... I do not know if I would be interested I do not watch LA at all.
So I cannot comment on his abilities.

KingsofLA

Jan 21, 2020
yeah well Toffoli is 27 or 28... I do not know if I would be interested I do not watch LA at all.
So I cannot comment on his abilities.
Carter is still a better skater than Toffoli and a more complete player. Toffoli recent improved goal total was because he was paired with Kopi. Not trying to convince you on him

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
If Carter is only owed 2M in each of the last two years is there any chance that he accepts the trade with conditions that he retires at the end off the season? 4M isn’t chump change, but he’s made 69M (nice) so far in his career. With a couple cups won as well ain’t much left playing for.

He says he has no intention of retiring. He also doesn't want to leave LA, so he's not going to agree to retire at season's end to facilitate a trade.

He is still a legit player. He just isn't worth his $5.2 million cap hit. But his cap hit is meaningless for LA. We have cap space coming out our wazoo. (As in tens of millions of cap space.) At $2 million per season in actual salary, he's actually a bargain. An alternative captain. Great locker room guy. Stays in tremendous shape. And we have hardly any vets left.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Carter is still a better skater than Toffoli and a more complete player. Toffoli recent improved goal total was because he was paired with Kopi. Not trying to convince you on him
No I understand... but I doubt I would trade 2nd or even 3rd. 2 more years of that contract makes it very unattractive. imo

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Oh God no! I really hope the Flyers don't bring him back at this advanced stage in his career. It's over, Jeff, just retire and go away.

You might want to actually watch him play. You might find out you're completely out to lunch about him, but you might also find out you shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->