Post-Game Talk: FLYERS CLINCH PLAYOFF SPOT; GIROUX HAT TRICK| #82 | Rangers 0 at FLYERS 5 | Sat., Apr. 7, 2018

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
No I think AV is the reason Vancouver didn't win the cup in the SCF when he was their coach. He's more of the same - a Stevens/Hak type. We had one of the best coaches in the league and fired him while Berube manned the bench.

Idk who else would be worthwhile.

Side note: does this mean cry-baby-in-chief Lindy Ruff is going to be Rags interim coach?

I didn't know anything about AV so, who can we get.

I want hak gone.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
If hakstol stays and I hope he doesn't hexy needs to fix the goalie position,upgrade at least 2 defenders, and makeover the 4th line. Some of These can be done by bringing up the kids.
Hakstol stays.

And you’re right on personnel, 100%

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Yet you can play your 18 guys the way the top10's fatigue doesnt force you to play shit in the final seconds, if we are actually going with the fatigue and conditioning thing.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
With this roster?

Yes. It does.

If anyone gets “exploited” it’ll be because Pittsburgh has a deeper roster. This isn’t Xbox.

why are you constantly making excuses for the coach? what's so special about him that makes him the best coach in nhl despite the fact, they get eliminated in the first round one year and dont make the playoffs the next year? when are the excuses going to stop? when this team starts hitting rock bottom, then make changes?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
why are you constantly making excuses for the coach? what's so special about him that makes him the best coach in nhl despite the fact, they get eliminated in the first round one year and dont make the playoffs the next year? when are the excuses going to stop? when this team starts hitting rock bottom, then make changes?

When it becomes unpopular to hate on Hakstol, he will stop gushing about him. It's just contrarianism.

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD

I don't think anybody on this board has ever said he's the best coach in the NHL, even his biggest supporters wouldn't go that far.

However, it does get a bit nauseating to see the coach getting blamed repeatedly for things he has absolutely no control over. Elliott lets in a softy, and suddenly the entire front office should be fired out of sheer incompetence. The hyperbole stops being entertaining after a certain point. There are definitely some valid criticisms to be had, but the level of vitriol is kinda ridiculous.

Reactions: General Joseph

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
When it becomes unpopular to hate on Hakstol, he will stop gushing about him. It's just contrarianism.
i know, it's just so frustrating to see other teams like vegas and nashville that dont have alot of talent and they play like they are champions.

Reactions: FlyersMania2

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
i know, it's just so frustrating to see other teams like vegas and nashville that dont have alot of talent and they play like they are champions.

Well Nashville has a ton of talent. Most talented defense and elite goalie. Up front Forsberg is a star talent, then they have 11 other good to very good forwards. No trash in the bottom 6.

Vegas is very similar except their defense isn't as talented as Nashville.

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Sorry, I'm just strictly going by point standings, they would be playing the Caps, but this whole thing with how the matchups work...

Division winner 1 (TBL/BOS) plays Wild Card 2 (NJ)
Division winner 2 (WAS) plays Wild Card 1 (CBJ)
Metro 2 (PITT) plays Metro 3 (PHI)
Atlantic 2 (TBL/BOS) plays Atlantic 3 (TOR)

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think anybody on this board has ever said he's the best coach in the NHL, even his biggest supporters wouldn't go that far.

However, it does get a bit nauseating to see the coach getting blamed repeatedly for things he has absolutely no control over. Elliott lets in a softy, and suddenly the entire front office should be fired out of sheer incompetence. The hyperbole stops being entertaining after a certain point. There are definitely some valid criticisms to be had, but the level of vitriol is kinda ridiculous.

what's nauseating is watching this team playing the same crap hockey for over 10 years and there's never any accountability on fo, it's excuse after excuse because they love their former flyers that's putting a team that cant play together. it's never going to work, it never has worked. if it has worked, it should have been in 2010 and 1997 we should have won cups, but they havent, that's on the fo, sorry but that's how things work, they are no excuses, it's either this fo can win cups or that cant and make serious changes. you shouldnt waste over 20 years and expect things to change with the same fo because you dont want to go a different direction.

i understand you dont like changes but in reality you have make them otherwise the cup drought continues until they do.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD
what's nauseating is watching this team playing the same crap hockey for over 10 years and there's never any accountability on fo, it's excuse after excuse because they love their former flyers that's putting a team that cant play together. it's never going to work, it never has worked. if it has worked, it should have been in 2010 and 1997 we should have won cups, but they havent, that's on the fo, sorry but that's how things work, they are no excuses, it's either this fo can win cups or that cant and make serious changes. you shouldnt waste over 20 years and expect things to change with the same fo because you dont want to go a different direction.

i understand you dont like changes but in reality you have make them otherwise the cup drought continues until they do.

First off, nowhere in my previous comment did I give my opinion on the current state of affairs so please don't put words in my mouth.

Second, I'm not sure what you mean by "no accountability". Clarke was pushed out as GM for failing to deliver, Holmgren was pushed out for failing to deliver, and I'm pretty confident that Hextall will also be pushed out if he fails to deliver within an acceptable time frame. If your issue is with the organization hiring former players, I get it. I'm not gonna sit here and deny that there isn't some form of tribalism going on here. I do take issue with wanting Hextall canned because they haven't won a cup yet. He's been at the helm for less than 4 years, it's impossible to fully judge any GM on such a relatively short timeline. He's got a mandate from ownership and I'm sure they've got a timetable that they want to see this team become competitive. If he fails to deliver, he will be fired and they'll bring in somebody else. The front office is accountable to the ownership group, not the fans.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

You think they’ve had the same front office for 20 years?

:laugh:

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
in the end all fans can do is voice their displeasure and not buy tickets or merchandise. the ownership group and management team do what they think is best for them. the attitude of hextall that he doesn't need or have to explain anything or can lie to the fans because they are dumb is what pisses off alot of people about him

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

WHAT?
Nashville doesn't have a lot of talent? Does any team have as talented a defensive six?
And Forsberg, Arvidsson, Johansen aren't bad forwards.
Rinne and Saros combined for a .926 S%. {Rinne is up and down but still has a career .919S% - we'd kill for a veteran goalie like that)

Vegas has far more talent than people give them credit for, the ED allowed them to load up, what they lack in quality at the top they make up with experienced depth throughout their roster (almost all their starters are between 25-30 years old, only Tuch (21) and Theodore (22) are younger, PEB (32) was the only regular over 30).
Karlsson and Marchessault had career years that will probably never be repeated, but it was experienced depth that carried them, and
Goalies - Fleury & Subban were 42-17-6

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

What are you talking about?
This team has just gone through a major rebuild, check the 2013-14 roster.
They have 5 top young players who are 21 and younger, and a flood of talent on the way.
Yet they've still managed to make the playoffs 2 of the last 4 seasons.

Compare to say NJ who missed the playoffs five straight seasons since they lost in the SC finals.
TB missed the playoffs 5 of 6 seasons before putting the current team together.
Toronto made the playoffs 1 of 11 seasons before Babcock got them there last year
The Penguins were terrible for four years, 69,65, 58, 58 points before getting their superstars (Fleury #1-03, Malkin #2-04, Crosby #1-05, Staal #2-06)
Winnipeg made the playoffs twice in 17 years before this season, but have patiently put a team together the last few years (Schiefele #7-11, Trouba #9-12, Ehlers #9-14, Conner #17-15, Laine #2-16)

The two keys are to patiently build a talent base, then the tough part is to maintain the talent base when you start winning and drafting late (Boston, Washington have done that over decades). Eventually you run out of luck, see Detroit, and you have to rebuild. Great GMs can reload in 2-3 years if they have a solid talent base to build on, otherwise it takes 5-6.

When Hextall took over, this was an old team with a core of young players, bound by tough cap constraints and lacking prospects due to trading picks and prospects and poor drafting after the 1st round. He kept the core, dumped the rest, and has done a great job of obtaining picks and finding talent in later rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->