Post-Game Talk: FLYERS CLINCH PLAYOFF SPOT; GIROUX HAT TRICK| #82 | Rangers 0 at FLYERS 5 | Sat., Apr. 7, 2018

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
D418B1CC-A2F8-497C-8DA6-1A3F1A28C13E.jpeg

I’m ready

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
For the first time this season there is very little Hakstol bashing around here... I would have expected something like "but with a competent coach we easily would have made 110 points".

So many crows to swallow...

It’s hard to deny the effect Hakstol has had on all the players who had career years this year. 98 points is a nice achievement.

The Penguins are a bitter prize though; the Flyers have too many passengers to beat the Pens.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
My point stands, firing Hak ten games into next year does nothing for this franchise.

Yes another coaching change would suck, true.

I think it won’t happen though unless the Flyers fail to add three or even four better players to upgrade their third and fourth lines and bottom defensive pair. And a keeper.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Anyway, celebration today, then back to business.

- solid netminding
- stay out of the box
- three lines scoring
- bottom three D need to get huge
- big series from three or four guys

I don’t think the Flyers can muster that, but it’ll be good experience for the young fellows.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
So qualifying for the playoffs by default makes you a successful coach? Hakstol continually made poor decisions throughout the entire year that cost this team points. The Flyers finished with the most OT losses of the season due to his ineptitude. Continually throwing out Lehtera, Filppula, MacDonald in the last minutes of a game only to end up going to OT or losing. I can't recall a single time this year those guys made it worthwhile for them to be out there. He's going to get exploited in the playoffs because you can't play not to lose.

Last edited by a moderator:

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
So If I read this right, Flyers will play Craps to start playoffs.

Only boston can leap frog TB tonight. I wonder what would happen if B's get 1 pt and are tied in pts with Bolts.

Right now TB is ahead in ROW by 1 pt.

Pretty much if Boston wins they get Devils, if they don't they get CLB

Reactions: JXC

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
The Flyers would have clinched a week ago and wouldn't be hopeless going into the 1st round if not for Hakstol and his merry band of idiots on the bench.

Question

If we get blown out and eliminated in this 1st series, Would you Fire Hak and Hire Vineault who just got fired by NYR

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware

Only boston can leap frog TB tonight. I wonder what would happen if B's get 1 pt and are tied in pts with Bolts.

We play Pittsburgh i think thats a lock

Reactions: TheKingPin

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

The top five teams in the Metro have played the full allotment of regular season games and there can be no changes. The two division winners are seeded 1-2 and that can't change. One is TB or Boston as the top seed and the other is Washington as the #2 seed. As such, the Capitals play the 7th seed (or higher wild card). The top seed plays the second seeded wild card (seed #8). The teams that finished 2nd and 3rd in each division play each other. The Penguins and Flyers are the second and third finishers in their division. That matchup is set as is the runner up in the Tampa Bay/Boston finish with Toronto. If Boston wins Sunday, the Bruins face the Devils in the first round. A loss in regulation or OT for Boston results in a matchup against Toronto.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Question

If we get blown out and eliminated in this 1st series, Would you Fire Hak and Hire Vineault who just got fired by NYR

There are too many similarities between AV and Hakstol. I have no interest in him. He does a good job at getting the team prepared to play and play the game the right way, but his player usage might even be worse than Hakstols. NY's fans have been complaining about that for years.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
As I've mentioned before, I am more critical on goalies than any other position (it's probably my favorite position also); I will say this - I can't stand Lundqvist but I considered him the best goalie post-Brodeur era and it sucks for him that I don't foresee him winning a cup in his career. I do not want the rangers to have any success ever but feel like it's a shame Hank won't get that achievement

Reactions: General Joseph

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Absolutely not. Lateral move, probably even worse.
No I think AV is the reason Vancouver didn't win the cup in the SCF when he was their coach. He's more of the same - a Stevens/Hak type. We had one of the best coaches in the league and fired him while Berube manned the bench.

Idk who else would be worthwhile.

Side note: does this mean cry-baby-in-chief Lindy Ruff is going to be Rags interim coach?

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
As I've mentioned before, I am more critical on goalies than any other position (it's probably my favorite position also); I will say this - I can't stand Lundqvist but I considered him the best goalie post-Brodeur era and it sucks for him that I don't foresee him winning a cup in his career. I do not want the rangers to have any success ever but feel like it's a shame Hank won't get that achievement

They should trade him this summer.

I don't get the loyalty to a franchise > winning a Cup before retiring.

Hell if Ray Bourque was able to put that aside, Hank isn't too good to do it. It's my main critique of the Sedins too. Vancouver could have got a nice haul for them the past few years and really ignited their rebuild but they wouldn't allow it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
My point stands, firing Hak ten games into next year does nothing for this franchise.

That's how we get Lappy for two years after.
I'd bet anything I own that if Hakstol starts the year he's also ending the year.

Hextall isn't going to fire a coach in the middle of the season. Whether he should or shouldn't, it's just not something I can possibly imagine him doing.

And as much as I think Hakstol is an incompetent piece of trash, I'd almost rather him stay next year if there's no really good coaches available. Another year of this idiot is better than multiple years of a different comparable idiot because obviously if we get a new coach that guy will get multiple years before he's ever in the hot seat, no matter how bad he might be. Most coaches are just so incredibly awful that my hopes of us getting a good one are crazy low. I read other GDTs all the time and 90% look exactly like ours, with nearly identical complaints about their coach.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ

We're playing penguins. Calling them craps is still accurate

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
If hakstol stays and I hope he doesn't hexy needs to fix the goalie position,upgrade at least 2 defenders, and makeover the 4th line. Some of These can be done by bringing up the kids.

Reactions: JXC

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Lindy Ruff will always be ok by me after taking that soda to the head when eliminating the Flyers as Buffalo’s coach & he still refused to speak poorly of Philadelphia fans in his press conference.

As for the Penguins matchup, I was hoping for Washington, didn’t want Boston or Tampa, & this seems an ok alternative. Biggest rival, plus — & this isn’t to be ignored— Pitt’s goaltending has stunk this season. If Murray stays off (& he was pretty good against the Flyers recently, to be fair) the Flyers could snag a couple. If Elliott stops a few in his own right.

Reactions: kudymen

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Lindy Ruff will always be ok by me after taking that soda to the head when eliminating the Flyers as Buffalo’s coach & he still refused to speak poorly of Philadelphia fans in his press conference.

As for the Penguins matchup, I was hoping for Washington, didn’t want Boston or Tampa, & this seems an ok alternative. Biggest rival, plus — & this isn’t to be ignored— Pitt’s goaltending has stunk this season. If Murray stays off (& he was pretty good against the Flyers recently, to be fair) the Flyers could snag a couple. If Elliott stops a few in his own right.
Do you forget how much he and Miller trashed our team in the post game press conferences in round 1 in what 2011?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad