Confirmed with Link: Flyers claim Oduya off waivers

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
He is a similar level player to them... maybe better... maybe ~the same, maybe slightly worse. Who knows until he plays on the team.

This made me lmao though:

I mean, I am not saying Oduya is good... at best he is a ~#5-6... but it shows how bad the options out there were.

I'm agreeing with you that he isn't TOP4 Dman. No doubt. But I believe that he can be better than Manning or Hägg in 3rd pair.

And his main plus: He could be very much better on PK than those two. We really need that!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Would’ve actually been surprised if they didn’t claim him and don’t know how he couldn’t get traded if guys like Joe Morrow could.

Yeh, pretty weird...

I mean, honestly who were clearly better Dmen traded over the last ~week?

McDonagh, Cole and Kempny. (I mean, I think Jerabek is better too probably...)

Like he was arguably one of the best 5 Dmen who moved teams over deadline period. And I dont think he is anything more than a 'meh' bottom pairing Dman.

Reactions: Rebels57

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
tP1iJzWQ.jpeg

He can supply us with fresh baked goods.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The highlight of Oduyas time here is, and forever will be, that during the mini press conference Hextall held after the deadline, Carchidi asked Hextall if he claimed Oduya because Alt got claimed... and Hextall made a face to show how stupid he thought the question was, and then explained how the waiver claim process works.

Keep in mind, this is a person who is paid real life actual money to follow the team, talk to players and management, write articles about hockey, and also appears on radio/TV at times... but he still doesn't know how waiver claims work...

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
The highlight of Oduyas time here is, and forever will be, that during the mini press conference Hextall held after the deadline, Carchidi asked Hextall if he claimed Oduya because Alt got claimed... and Hextall made a face to show how stupid he thought the question was, and then explained how the waiver claim process works.

Keep in mind, this is a person who is paid real life actual money to follow the team, talk to players and management, write articles about hockey, and also appears on radio/TV at times... but he still doesn't know how waiver claims work...

You must be imagining it wrong. As you said, he is paid actual money. It is his job. No way he doesnt know something we both do. Just no. Stop it.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Should throw out the caveat that he has played more than half of his 5v5 minutes with Erik Karlsson.

It is a consideration for sure... but his ExGF% was pretty ok given his minutes when he played with Ceci too.

I mean, Oduya is what he is, but I think he can play a regular shift in the NHL still... even if on a contender he is a ~#6.

That is really the Flyers problem though. MacDonald, Hagg, Manning and Oduya can all realistically hold their own in the NHL... but they are all ~#6 level on a contender.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It is a consideration for sure... but his ExGF% was pretty ok given his minutes when he played with Ceci too.

I mean, Oduya is what he is, but I think he can play a regular shift in the NHL still... even if on a contender he is a ~#6.

That is really the Flyers problem though. MacDonald, Hagg, Manning and Oduya can all realistically hold their own in the NHL... but they are all ~#6 level on a contender.

Yeah we now have four #6 defensemen occupying our 4-7 spots on D.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, we're not supposed to be a contender this year, so Hextall wasn't worried, plenty of time for Sanheim, Myers and Morin to develop into reliable playoff caliber defensemen by the time the team was ready to make a push in 2019-20.

The best laid plans . . .

But relax, we're playing with house money this year.
Next year, it'll be tougher because expectations will be higher, but if you add NAK, MV, Morin, Sanheim and Frost, you should expect some serious growing pains.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If only they weren't so obsessed with "chemistry" they'd so easily be able to upgrade this defense to a far superior group.

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Oduya-Trash

But even if Hextall realizes this, Hakstol wouldn't use them, so there's no point in bringing him up. Our 3rd best defensemen remains in the AHL, wasting time.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad