Flyers Cap Team

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
The Flyers will likely start the year in the bottom third of payroll and possibly a bottom 5 cap team. If they do not resign Simmonds, the situation next year could be similar. While they do have to resign Konency and Provorov among others, they are losing Lehetera's contract and possibly others including, Simmonds, Elliot, Neuvirth, Raffl, Weal and Weise buyout . The following year they flyers will have to resign Patrick but are again losing anchor contracts in MacDonald and Weise (if he wasn't already bought out).

It's quite a reversal from when Holmgren was running the show.

The Flyers almost don't have the roster space to add a free agent given their prospect situation but they do have the cap space to make a significant addition next year. Next year's free agent class may include Seguin, Skinner, Karlsson, Panarin, Wheeler, Pacioretty, Simmonds, Eberele, Silfverberg, Zuccarello. Hayes among others. Many of those players would strengthen what looks to be an already very deep team.

Interesting times indeed and quite a bizarre situation to be in as a Flyers fan.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Problem is any big free agent will require a 7 year deal, so cap room the next two years won't be the issue, it'll be cap room from 2020-21 onward.
Which is why I don't see them adding a big free agent unless they dump Voracek (the longest term contract on the current roster).

What is more likely are low cost (in terms of assets) trades for veterans a year or two from free agency that are too expensive for their current teams but easily fit under our cap for a year or two to buy time for kids like Farabee and O'Brien to physically mature. Or RFAs Ron might sign to bridge deals and then let walk if they're not better than the kids coming up behind them.

What doesn't make sense are 7 yr, $10-12M deals for "names" that will force us to let a couple top prospects walk, unless Ron is will to dump Voracek or JVR in three years.
JVR - $7M through 2022-23
Voracek - $8.25M through 2023-2024
Giroux - $8.25M through 2021-2022
Simmonds?

RFA contracts: Provorov, Voracek, Sanheim, 2019-20, Patrick 2020-2021, Lindblom 2020-21, Myers 2021-22? Frost, etc. 2022-23

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I am not sure they have the roster space to sign a free agent .

2019 likely lineup:

Giroux-Couts-Neck
JVR- Patrick- Voracek
Raffl- Frost- Lindblom
Laughton- Vorobyov - Aube kubel
Martel

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim- Myers
MacDonald - Gudas
Hagg

Hart
xxx

I don't know what needs the flyers have. The will have the cap space but look damn solid with a really deep prospect pool .

Maybe Panarin or Ellis if Nashville can't or won't resign him .

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I am not sure they have the roster space to sign a free agent .

2019 likely lineup:

Giroux-Couts-Neck
JVR- Patrick- Voracek
Raffl- Frost- Lindblom
Laughton- Vorobyov - Aube kubel
Martel

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim- Myers
MacDonald - Gudas
Hagg

Hart
xxx

I don't know what needs the flyers have. The will have the cap space but look damn solid with a really deep prospect pool .

Maybe Panarin or Ellis if Nashville can't or won't resign him .
They got room at forward.

Reactions: TheKingPin

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
They got room at forward.

Probably but it also depends. What if lacynzki or Allison or ratcliffe or whomever break out. The flyer pool is deep enough that it is not so unlikely one of those guys explode. The rational to then add a forward becomes questionable .

As I said, wierd position to be in with our cap space, prospect pool and depth.

Reactions: Benji007

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's why a short-term pickup is more likely, say a one/two year rental of a top player at the end of his contract for a 2nd rd pick and say Strome or Sushko.
That would buy time for Farabee, O'Brien, Ratcliffe, Allison, Rubtsov and Laczynski without tying up the cap or roster spot long-term.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Probably but it also depends. What if lacynzki or Allison or ratcliffe or whomever break out. The flyer pool is deep enough that it is not so unlikely one of those guys explode. The rational to then add a forward becomes questionable .

As I said, wierd position to be in with our cap space, prospect pool and depth.
Great news if they break out.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I'd like to have Silfverberg at no more than $5M, but maybe that would be too much for a 3rd line wing. I don't see the team re-signing Raffl on this pass.

Giroux -- Couturier -- Konecny
van Riemsdyk -- Patrick -- Voracek
Lindblom -- Frost -- Silfverberg
Laughton -- Vorobyov -- Aube-Kubel
Kase

Provorov -- Ghost
Sanheim -- Gudas
Hagg - Myers
MacDonald

Hart
FA/Lyon

Last edited:

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I'm loving how Hextall isn't going out and giving long term bad contracts. I think he learned from the Weise deal as well and won't make that same mistake on a bottom 6 forward. Having the extra space to be available for the trade deadline or in the off-season to make a trade/sign a free agent to push us over the top will be huge in the future. I could see him making a big deal at the deadline this season as well if the Flyers are securely in a playoff spot.

The Flyers have a bright future and it could start as early as the next season. Especially if Frost makes the team and puts up decent numbers at the 3c and Myers for that matter.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I'm loving how Hextall isn't going out and giving long term bad contracts. I think he learned from the Weise deal as well and won't make that same mistake on a bottom 6 forward. Having the extra space to be available for the trade deadline or in the off-season to make a trade/sign a free agent to push us over the top will be huge in the future. I could see him making a big deal at the deadline this season as well if the Flyers are securely in a playoff spot.

The Flyers have a bright future and it could start as early as the next season. Especially if Frost makes the team and puts up decent numbers at the 3c and Myers for that matter.

If there was a lesson to be learned, it should've happened after the Rinaldo extension.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The only reason I doubt Hextall will make a big TDL move is too often the prices are outrageous, if he makes a move, it'll be to use his cap room to take some salary off a team that fell out of contention without giving up major assets.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
If there was a lesson to be learned, it should've happened after the Rinaldo extension.

And we got a 3rd round pick still for him so that is a positive.

The only reason I doubt Hextall will make a big TDL move is too often the prices are outrageous, if he makes a move, it'll be to use his cap room to take some salary off a team that fell out of contention without giving up major assets.

I am fine with taking some salary off of another team to help for a playoff push as long as that salary isn't long-term.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
The Flyers will likely start the year in the bottom third of payroll and possibly a bottom 5 cap team. If they do not resign Simmonds, the situation next year could be similar. While they do have to resign Konency and Provorov among others, they are losing Lehetera's contract and possibly others including, Simmonds, Elliot, Neuvirth, Raffl, Weal and Weise buyout . The following year they flyers will have to resign Patrick but are again losing anchor contracts in MacDonald and Weise (if he wasn't already bought out).

It's quite a reversal from when Holmgren was running the show.

The Flyers almost don't have the roster space to add a free agent given their prospect situation but they do have the cap space to make a significant addition next year. Next year's free agent class may include Seguin, Skinner, Karlsson, Panarin, Wheeler, Pacioretty, Simmonds, Eberele, Silfverberg, Zuccarello. Hayes among others. Many of those players would strengthen what looks to be an already very deep team.

Interesting times indeed and quite a bizarre situation to be in as a Flyers fan.
That's until we sign another UFA to address our roster. You know Seguin, Karlsson or Bobrovsky.:naughty:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Actually, the returns have been pretty hit-or-miss. Kane didn't draw a huge haul (though there were other factors there) while Vegas inexplicably paid like crazy for Tatar. The McDonagh return was hefty but Stastny went for relatively cheap.

If the Flyers were to make a trade for an expensive player, I'd like to see a good veteran defenseman with a few years left. I'd be trying hard right now to peel Spurgeon out of Minnesota, or if the wheels are coming off Nashville in 2019 and they want to move on from Subban (and were willing to retain a little bit) I'd be kicking tires there (I'm not so hip on Karlsson, though he'd make the team better, but we have the next best thing already for half the price). It benefits young defensemen to play with a very good veteran, and while we have a great stable of youth it'd be nice to mix in an experienced player to help balance things out. It's also really good to have 3 competent defensive pairs that you can split time between, so it's no insult to Myers or Sanheim or whoever if they're on a "3rd" pair that's playing about the same minutes as the 2nd, and it'll help keep Provorov fresh if he can play 21-23 minutes instead of 24-26.

Stockpiling pieces and draft picks is good and all, but next year this thing's gotta kick into gear. If we've gotta spend a 2nd and a Rubtsov or Ratcliffe to get into the ECF and beyond, then that's gotta happen. Don't blow the farm on an aging vet, but mix in another guy Giroux's age if you want to see Giroux get his shots at the Cup.

Last edited:

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I think Simmonds gets a 4-5 year $7 m contract after a 30 30 season. If Hexy was to trade him, it would have taken place this offseason, I don't think he'd let him walk either.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I think Simmonds gets a 4-5 year $7 m contract after a 30 30 season. If Hexy was to trade him, it would have taken place this offseason, I don't think he'd let him walk either.

I'm fine with Hextall signing him to a nice short term deal but that would be dumb of Simmonds because he can get a bigger contract from another team.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I'm fine with Hextall signing him to a nice short term deal but that would be dumb of Simmonds because he can get a bigger contract from another team.
Same contract as JVR if it's 5x7, similar production when healthy, just a year older. I don't know if he'll get much bigger after Lucic, Okposo, Brown, and Ladd haven't panned out with their 7 year deals.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I think a big trade is more likely than a FA signing. We are going to have a good amount of NHL ready prospects that just dont have a spot....so theyll have assets to trade n cap room...that opens a lot of doors.

I still think they should trade for EK (Assuming hed sign an extension). Can't see a better player becoming available anytime soon Trade Simmer and send his return to Ottawa. Add in Myers or Sanheim and a pick.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
When you are having a good year and realistically could have a chance, you have to trade some good prospects and picks to land an UFA on an expiring contract . Stastny , Nash, McDonagh etc are what you are landing and you have to have cap space avaliable to be able to do it. They do not always work out either , probably not more often than they do . Nash cost lots [ Lindgren and picks ] did not help much at all and is now gone. Stastny cost Foley and a first and is now gone but did provide what value for playoffs . You cannot be to close to the salary cap if you hope to land someone decent and prospects are only corlateral used in the process .
Constantly trading for players will gut your prospect system and chasing to many UFA will run you into cap problems . For now stay the course and if the time is right in a couple of years then spend some assets

kostas

Jul 18, 2018
i like to look at the cap going forward a couple of years. I would say that Lehtera coming off next year will be offset by signing Provorov. Let's see how Laughton and Konecky pan out contract wise because average players are now getting 5 million a year. Then there is Simmonds who may not put up the same numbers if Patrick or JVR eat into his power play minutes. I would say the flyers are in good shape this season cap wise, but need the cap to keep going up in the near future. just my 2 cents

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
Same contract as JVR if it's 5x7, similar production when healthy, just a year older. I don't know if he'll get much bigger after Lucic, Okposo, Brown, and Ladd haven't panned out with their 7 year deals.

As much as I (and everyone else) love Simmer, signing a player two years older than JVR and significantly more likely to break down than him due to injuries and playing style to a 5 year $7 million contract seems like a terrible idea to me.

The money is fine, but anything more than 3 years is too much of a risk. 2 years would be ideal really. IMO you try to sign him to a 2-3 year contract right now and if he isn’t willing to take that you trade him for value while you can. I wouldn’t blame him if he didn’t take it, but signing him to a long term contract is just a poor decision IMO.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The biggest elephant in the room with Simmonds and his contract isn't term or price or age.......it's that they just don't need him on the ice. His value has diminished heavily for this team given other, better players in similar roles. Another team, maybe not the case. But here?

If "Wayne Simmonds," with all the ooey gooey intangible goodness that comes with that name, was named "Brayden Schenn," putting up the exact same numbers as a soon to be 31 year old UFA, it wouldn't even be a conversation really.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011

Would be new anchor contract that also blocks better younger players. Signing him would be classic case of paying for past performance. Reminiscent of the Ladd contract.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Simmonds played the entire season with injuries he probably should have sat for, and still scored 24 goals. He paced 30 goals in the four seasons before that, if he only regressed because of injuries I think that the 5 year contract would be worth it for at least the first 3 years. Lucic and Ladd were never consistent players like Simmonds, and weren't already in the system. The second power play unit issues that have plagued the team for years won't be fixed if we let go of guys that provide depth scoring in hopes that someone fills that position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->