Value of: Flyers bottom-6 forwards

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
What are these guys worth for you?

C/LW Scott Laughton, 23, 2 years @ 962k
RW/LW Matt Read, 31, 1 year @ 3.625 Mil.
RW Dale Weise, 29, 3 years @ 2.35 Mil.
C Jori Lehtera, 29, 2 years @ 4.7 Mil.
LW/C Michael Raffl, 2 years @ 2.35 Mil.

With Oskar Lindblom to join the Flyers this season, their top-9 is pretty much set. If not for some drastic changes I expect

Lindblöm - Giroux - Voracek
Filppula - Patrick - Konecny
Weal - Couturier - Simmonds

as their first three lines.

This leaves the whole 4th line open for the aforementioned players. If Mike Vecchione (who is waiver eligible) doesn't earn a spot, at least one guy is expendable.

Last edited:

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I can tell you one thing and it's that your most likely going to just have to eat Lehteras contract and count it as a win that you got an additional first for doing so. I'm really interested to see Philly fans comments about him next year as long as he's not burried in the PB

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I can tell you one thing and it's that your most likely going to just have to eat Lehteras contract and count it as a win that you got an additional first for doing so. I'm really interested to see Philly fans comments about him next year as long as he's not burried in the PB

I agree and don't expect he'll be flipped again. He had a down year and there is not a single reason a team would ask for him. Nevertheless I listed all players who will battle for 4th line duties because I want to know what they are worth for other teams fans.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I dont think youre going to find too many people with high expectations, and even less people who will be disappointed that he's sitting in the box for part or most of the season.

The move was made with 2 years in mind when his deal expires and Provorov, Konecny, and Simmonds are all due for new deals. Having Schenn around still would have complicated the latter, even if i'm fairly against re-upping Simmonds (pending contract ask, of course).

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
If you have Filp on your LW, any chance a deal can be made with Pitt to make him our 3C? Maybe Hagelin?

Hags deal expires in 2 years and he you would be saving 1 million in space now

Speedy LW good on PK

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
If you have Filp on your LW, any chance a deal can be made with Pitt to make him our 3C? Maybe Hagelin?

Speedy LW good on PK

That could make sens, but I highly doubt these two teams would trade.

As for the OP, I think the only one who has value here is Laughton, and that isn't a very high value.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Speedy LW good on PK

Unlikely, since we'd probably not want to improve your chances of winning :p

On paper it makes some sense, especially since Hagelin's deal expires when we need it to (2 years).

However, i'm of the camp that Philly should be holding on to Flip in case we need to shelter Patrick and move him to the wing in his first year. Flip is going to be our security blanket this year to insulate Nolan.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany

On paper it makes some sense, especially since Hagelin's deal expires when we need it to (2 years).

However, i'm of the camp that Philly should be holding on to Flip in case we need to shelter Patrick and move him to the wing in his first year. Flip is going to be our security blanket this year to insulate Nolan.

This and the fact we don't want to help the Pens :laugh:.

2 in a row is enough :D

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Yup. We finally have C depth to deal with injuries when they occur. No more shoving guys like Schenn to C, or Laughton on the scoring line at C.

Enjoy this year's C depth until the deadline and possibly move him then for a pick if he will waive. We don't need more depth bodies in a trade for him.

Funny how he said no to Montreal at the last deadline, but would be in a top 6 C role. Now he won't be a top 3 C with Philly. Of course adding Patrick changed things. Without a lottery win, he would have been needed this coming year to hopefully bridge when guys like Vecchione or Vorobyev could be ready in 2018.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yup. We finally have C depth to deal with injuries when they occur. No more shoving guys like Schenn to C, or Laughton on the scoring line at C.

Enjoy this year's C depth until the deadline and possibly move him then for a pick if he will waive. We don't need more depth bodies in a trade for him.

Funny how he said no to Montreal at the last deadline, but would be in a top 6 C role. Now he won't be a top 3 C with Philly. Of course adding Patrick changed things. Without a lottery win, he would have been needed this coming year to hopefully bridge when guys like Vecchione or Vorobyev could be ready in 2018.

Nonsense. He's not beating out Chucky or Danault for top 6C. :sarcasm:

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I didn't expect blue-chipper for them. There is a reason why they fight for bottom line spots. Just wanted to know what other poster would offer and why.

Oh, sorry haha I'm a MTL and WPG fans. MTL has nothing to offer for other bottom 6 players, we have enough. Jets would prefer to play their own youngster.

Maybe a team like Boston or Chicago would be willing to give up a mid-range pick or low end prospect for Laughton.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Oh, sorry haha I'm a MTL and WPG fans. MTL has nothing to offer for other bottom 6 players, we have enough. Jets would prefer to play their own youngster.

Maybe a team like Boston or Chicago would be willing to give up a mid-range pick or low end prospect for Laughton.

If Laughton were available, im pretty confident he would have gone to Vegas in the ED. He hasnt show much at the NHL level, and part of that can be blamed on bad circumstances. He generally produces fairly well in the roles hes played. He just hasn't been able to hold down a spot for whatever reason.

He also hasnt really lived up to his hype of a 2 way pivot that everyone was expecting. A lot of people expected him to come in and take the defensive responsibilities from Couturier, but his offensive game translated better than his defensive game.

I dont see the flyers moving him after protecting him (though again, alot of that was due to circumstance, not just the player). He had a good showing in the AHL last year and i think theyll give him more time for now unless someone knocks their socks off with an offer.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
If Laughton were available, im pretty confident he would have gone to Vegas in the ED. He hasnt show much at the NHL level, and part of that can be blamed on bad circumstances. He generally produces fairly well in the roles hes played. He just hasn't been able to hold down a spot for whatever reason.

He also hasnt really lived up to his hype of a 2 way pivot that everyone was expecting. A lot of people expected him to come in and take the defensive responsibilities from Couturier, but his offensive game translated better than his defensive game.

I dont see the flyers moving him after protecting him (though again, alot of that was due to circumstance, not just the player). He had a good showing in the AHL last year and i think theyll give him more time for now unless someone knocks their socks off with an offer.

Well, I definitively get your point, but the OP asked what could be the value for Philly's bottom 6 player, so I tried and answer the question. If you think he won't be traded, then take it to the guy who wrote the OP, not me.

You clearly know the Flyers better than me, I'm curious in your opinion what would Laughton be worth in a deal? Or any other player listed (which is the main goal of this thread).

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Well, I definitively get your point, but the OP asked what could be the value for Philly's bottom 6 player, so I tried and answer the question. If you think he won't be traded, then take it to the guy who wrote the OP, not me.

You clearly know the Flyers better than me, I'm curious in your opinion what would Laughton be worth in a deal? Or any other player listed (which is the main goal of this thread).

If my comment came across as cynical, i apologize. I understand the premise of the thread, I was simply trying to shed some light on this situation in particular as it pertains to the flyers.

I try not to gauge value because I dont know the flyers organizations thoughts on him. The goal of my statement was to show that potentially, they still believe in him turning it around(thus the protection spot), so they wouldnt move him for a middling pick. The other side of that argument is that, well, the flyers didnt really have anyone else worth taking, so he made sense to protect, so they may not be as high as we think.

If it were me? I wouldnt move him because i still think he can be a solid bottom 6 NHL player, even if he doesn't pan out as we hoped (good middle 6er). Admittedly, his time is getting a bit short to prove that though. I don't think he's worth this, but i wouldnt move him for less than a 2nd, because we can afford to take that gamble of him not working out and dealing with the 'lost' cost.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

They are worth mid round picks...3rd to 5th really.

Laughton is wanted to be kept to see if his time in a defensive role in the AHL will translate to the NHL or not. He was in. 24 point pace two years ago, so if he could get 20-30 points while being strong defensively, that is a good depth player.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
They are worth mid round picks...3rd to 5th really.

Laughton is wanted to be kept to see if his time in a defensive role in the AHL will translate to the NHL or not. He was in. 24 point pace two years ago, so if he could get 20-30 points while being strong defensively, that is a good depth player.

I have a really small sample of him. Only watched him a couple times. Would you compare him to someone like Lars Eller?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Not really. Eller is a strong possession player, and that's Laughton's biggest weakness so far.

Read at 50% is the Flyers trade I think is most likely to happen in 2017.

Last edited:

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Not really. Eller is a strong possession player, and that's Laughton's biggest weakness so far.

Read at 50% is the Flyers trade I think is most likely to happen in 2017.

Read had a couple of good stretches in the last season. I could see some teams giving it a try if you retain salary.

Would you have a comparative to Laughton?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The fact that no other fans from other teams commented says it all.

It says that fans of other teams on this board don't care about the Flyers 4th liners.

It says nothing about what value they might have to the GMs of other teams. The guys who gave Hextall 3rd round picks for Tye McGinn and Zac Rinaldo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad