Fantasy Sports: Flyers Board Mock Draft 2020

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Looks like the fetuses of today only pop one side when they pop their collars.

He's just wearing his baby carrier under his jersey.

baby-carrier-original-outwards.jpg

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Some skaters that went undrafted that would have some interest to me:

Forwards:
Tomas Chlubna
Dmitri Rashevsky
Josh Pillar
Maxim Musorov
Elliot Desnoyers
Gage Goncalves
Raivis Ansons
Kristof Papp
Ty Jackson
Declan McDonnell
Xavier Simoneau
Michal Gut

Defensemen:
Christopher Merisier-Ortiz
Ben Meehan
Matias Rajaniemi
Luka Nyman
Miguel Tourigny
Christian Jimenez
Jeremie Biakabutuka
Tomi Niku
Ville Ottavainen
Ole Bjorgvik Holm

I was surprised to see Simoneau slip through the draft. Figured somebody would’ve taken a chance on him. He was BPA on my board after my last pick.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I was surprised to see Simoneau slip through the draft. Figured somebody would’ve taken a chance on him. He was BPA on my board after my last pick.
There's definitely a decent chance he's just one of those undersized, point producers from the Q, without the skating to be anything more than a AAAA player, but I've watched a lot of Drummondville this year and he just makes plays all game long. He had points on 90% of the ES goals scored when he was on the ice!!! That is tops of any player eligible for the draft. 40% overall involvement and 38% ES involvement are excellent marks for anyone in Junior hockey (better than Jarvis as an example). He probably did enough to be a late pick last year. It's possible he goes undrafted again this year. Ideally he's someone you invite to camp and see how he does against pro competition and maybe sign him to an ELC, but Camps may not be a thing this year. These types of players are generally good AHL players if nothing else and that has value on its own.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
I can't tell if I know more about the draft this year, or less, or it's more of a crapshoot than usual. Typically by the 7th round I have a couple of guys left that I'll begrudgingly pick but nobody on the list that I am actually targeting. We're halfway through the 7th already and there are 6 players still on my list of targets, so I'll be interested to see if anyone nabs them or if we can add training camp invitees.

ONE:

"Edmonton proudly picks, from the Calgary (spit) Hitmen, defenseman Luke Prokop."

TWO:

With their final selection Calgary will go with: Maximilian Glötzl

THREE:

"IVAN IVAN IVAN IVAN."

With those guys off the list, I'd like to invite Tomas Chlubna, Joonas Oden, and Gage Goncalves to training camp.

The top undrafted player in my consensus rankings is Nick Malik, goaltender for the Soo. I think this is right, CHL goaltenders tend to be overrated.

I have also decided, after doing [three? four?] of these, that picking a CHL defenceman after the third round is bad. The CHL is the easiest league to scout, the easiest league to project NHL success, and the league most favourable to young players hitting their potential to align with the CHL; especially for defencemen.

Either you have a CHL defenceman as a 3rd or better prospect and you pick him in the 3rd, or you're picking a longshot of a player when there are far better longshot options out there.

Somebody do some sort of analytics and tell me I'm wrong and that there are amazing CHL defencemen drafted out of rounds 4-7.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
There's definitely a decent chance he's just one of those undersized, point producers from the Q, without the skating to be anything more than a AAAA player, but I've watched a lot of Drummondville this year and he just makes plays all game long. He had points on 90% of the ES goals scored when he was on the ice!!! That is tops of any player eligible for the draft. 40% overall involvement and 38% ES involvement are excellent marks for anyone in Junior hockey (better than Jarvis as an example). He probably did enough to be a late pick last year. It's possible he goes undrafted again this year. Ideally he's someone you invite to camp and see how he does against pro competition and maybe sign him to an ELC, but Camps may not be a thing this year. These types of players are generally good AHL players if nothing else and that has value on its own.

I was between Simoneau and Aho and decided to leave the smurf for you. I was let down.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I brought that discussion up a couple months ago. Generally after the 4th round the ROI of drafting a CHL player diminishes.

However, as someone that took 3 CHL defenseman after the 6th round, I think you are more likely to find a CHL defenseman that becomes a player than a CHL forward in a similar range. Forwards tend to separate themselves at a younger age (twice as many slots = more opportunities to stand out) and even the ones that do emerge late, they tend to be of the 4th line variety. Zamula and Myers are the exceptions to the rule, but they show you that it shouldn't be a hard or fast rule. You have to try to identify certain qualities and traits though. You can't just can't just sit back and take the 3rd year junior defenseman with little skill who's appeal is physicality and aggressiveness. You have to identify certain inefficiencies like age, experience, role on the team, quality of teammates, size, immaturity, etc.

I had Evans, Calisti, and Moore as top 100 guys, so I felt comfortable taking them in the last two rounds (plus it's easier to take guys you've seen a bunch of). It also helps when you have 14 picks. Pick a bunch of guys of a similar skillset. You're not going to hit on all 3, but if you hit on one it's a win. I didn't imagine a scenario where I would have taken three CHL defensemen in the 6th and 7th rounds, but that's just kind of how the board fell. I think it speaks to the fact that there isn't much difference once you get outside of the top 100. I considered Chlubna in the 5th round. He went undrafted.

I was between Simoneau and Aho and decided to leave the smurf for you. I was let down.
Aho was on my list. Probably wouldn't have taken him, but I may have just to ease my NA bias.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
1. Thanks @Chuck Downie for handling this each year with such aplomb. It's always a good time.

2. Just so I have a better shot of finding this when I inevitably look back:
St. Louis Blues
1 - 30 - Hendrix Lapierre, C, Chicoutimi Saguenéens (QJMHL)
3 - 92 - Jack Thompson, RD, Sudbury Wolves (OHL)
4 - 123 - Blake Biondi, C, Hermantown High School
5 - 147 - Christoffer Sedoff, LD, Red Deer Rebels (WHL)
5 - 154 - Dmitri Ovchinnikov, C, Sibirskie Snaipery Novosibirsk (MHL)

Vancouver Canucks
6 - 174 - Vancouver - Grant Sluksynsky, C, Warroad HS (USHS) mop-pick
7 - 191 -Vancouver - Karri Aho, D, Ilves Tampere (SM-Liiga) mop-pick

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
:sharks

Final results for the San Jose Sharks

Admitedly, I didn't do much research this year. Too much going on at the moment. Didn't do terrible though. A few hits and misses im sure.

C & D for life!

RoundPickPlayerPos.Team
128Brendan BrissonCChicago (USHL)
234Kaiden GuhleDPrince Albert (WHL)
260Vasily PonomaryovCShawinigan (QMJHL)
5126Ruben RafkinDWindsor (OHL)
5127Colby AmbrosioCTri-City (USHL)
7201Kristian TanusCLempaala (SM-Liiga)
7213Pontus JohanssonDDjugardens (SuperElit)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
:stars
24- LW Lukas Reichel, Berlin (DEL)
117- D Donovan Sebrango, Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
148- D Alex Cotton, Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL)
162- C Trevor Kuntar, Youngstown Phantoms (USHL)
179- D Lukas Persson, Brynas IF J20 (SuperElit)

:vegas
68- C Theodor Niederbach, Frolunda (SHL)
87- D Wyatt Kaiser, Andover High School (USHS)
180- G Devon Levi, Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL)
211- C Cameron Berg, Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)

I thought the Dallas draft was alright for having so few picks. Vegas was a little more meh but I took them on later and didn't put as much thought into the picks.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Detroit Red Wings Selections

4) Alexander Holtz (RW) - Djurgårdens (SHL)
32) Martin Chromiak (LW) - Kingston (OHL)
46) Roby Järventie (LW) - Ilves (Liiga)
58) Jack Finley (C) - Spokane (WHL)
63) Samuel Knazko (D) - TPSU20 (U20 SM-sarja)
65) Calle Clang (G) - Rögle BK J20 (SuperElit)
107) Kasper Puutio (D) - Everett Silvertips (WHL)
125) Hugo Styf (D) - MODO Hockey (Allsvenskan)
156) Lukas Svejkovsky (C/RW) - Medicine Hat (WHL)
187) Logan Morrison (C) - Hamilton (OHL)

Pretty happy. Hope the lotto balls hit in real life so I look like a genius.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA

You'll never beat my draft from last year :p:
Screenshot_20200909-112415_Samsung Internet.jpg

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
You'll never beat my draft from last year :p:
View attachment 366673

tumblr_pfoydx7n291rodcky_640.gif

"What's behind me, it's not important." In other words, I have no interest revisiting my picks from previous years. Probably half of my prospects are now gainfully employed in the customer food-service industry.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Florida's Complete Draft:

1 - 12 - Florida - Dylan Holloway, C, Wisconsin (NCAA)

2 - 43 - Florida - Kasper Simontaival, RW, Tampere (SM-Liiga)
3 - 74 - Florida - Thimo Nickl, D, Drummondville (QMJHL)
4 - 105 - Florida - Alex Laferriere, RW, Des Moines (USHL)
5 - 137 - Florida - Landon Kosior, D, Prince Albert (WHL)

7 - 198 - Florida - Zakary Karpa, C, Princeton (NCAA)

Six picks and not a single known Geoff Sanderson connection. Florida GM has been terminated.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA

I considered taking Styf in the seventh round.

I'm glad I was spared the embarrassment of having to be told he was taken 90 picks earlier.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
tumblr_pfoydx7n291rodcky_640.gif

"What's behind me, it's not important." In other words, I have no interest revisiting my picks from previous years. Probably half of my prospects are now gainfully employed in the customer food-service industry.

Don't worry, I'll get my master spreadsheet tracking the past picks updated before the 20-21 season starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad