Fantasy Sports: Flyers Board Mock Draft 2017

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
I read your post this morning and got to think about it all day while wandering around in the forest.

You're right, ultimately. The problem is trying to score a first-round pick in the same way as a seventh-round pick. They're different beasts - anything you do to reward a good late pick has huge rewards for an early pick.

I am thinking of a similar points system as I initially proposed but taking into account your thoughts:

1 point for mock picking a player in the same round as he is actually drafted.
1 point for mock picking a player within 30 positions as he is actually drafted.
1 point for mock picking a player within 20 positions as he is actually drafted.
1 point for mock picking a player within 10 positions as he is actually drafted.
1 point for mock picking a player within 5 positions as he is actually drafted.
1 point for mock picking a player within 3 positions as he is actually drafted.
1 point for mock picking a player exactly where he is drafted.
1 point for mock picking a player 60+ positions later than he is actually drafted (value bonus).
-2 points for mock drafting a player that goes undrafted.
-1 point for mock drafting a player 60+ positions earlier than he is actually drafted (reach penalty).

The points stack, so a perfect pick is worth 7 points, a near miss is worth 6, and a wide miss is worth 1/2 points. Then I'd adjust the score to 7 pick average for all teams again, so a perfect score is 49 while a complete fail is -14.

I'm all for adjusting the points, but keep in mind if you're trying to reward hitting a late pick, it rewards hitting an earlier pick (NJ and Philly are essentially guaranteed 6 points in the first 2 picks using this system).

This new point system idea I think would better reflect the quality of the draft than the other. We could use this new one and have a whole year to devise or tweak this one before the next mock draft. Thanks again.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My Flyers draft was pretty good, I must say. :nod:

Rd 1, 2nd overall - Nolan Patrick
Rd 2, 44th overall - Filip Chytil (drafted 21st overall)
Rd 3, 75th overall - Fabian Zetterlund (drafted 63rd overall)
Rd 3, 81st overall - Jack Studnicka (drafted 53rd overall)
Rd 4, 106th overall - Maxime Fortier (Undrafted)
Rd 4, 107th overall - Luke Martin (drafted 52nd overall)
Rd 4, 108th overall - Tim Soderlund (drafted 112th overall)
Rd 5, 137th overall - Logan Cockerill (drafted 201st overall)
Rd 6, 168th overall - Gustav Lindstrom (drafted 38th overall)
Rd 7, 199th overall - Jordan Hollett (drafted 183rd overall)
Rd 7, 200th overall - Will Warm (Undrafted)

5 Steals, 2 Undrafted, 1 Reach

Reactions: Tripod

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
The Florida draft so far:
Martin Necas - C - Picked him 10th, he went 12th.
Henri Jokiharu - D - Picked him 40th he went 29th
Josh Norris - C - Picked 66th (auto) he went 19th
Jiri Patera - G - picked 133 he went 161

I didn't do terrible for my first mock draft.

Reactions: Rebels57

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'm definitely interested in doing that again. That was an excellent draft. I think it's a great example of how varying people's take on draft eligible players are compared to teams.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
100% in

We can pick teams after the Lottery again

I`ll post a new draft thread and we`ll start picking teams then -just like last year - maybe April 14? We need time to fill all the teams with GMs and we`ll start drafting the day of the lottery. Going to stick to the 12 hour rule so that we can get all 217 picks in.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I remember reading through this thread last year before I was a member and thoroughly enjoying it.

I'd love to participate this time around because I love this sort of thing, but I don't know much about this draft outside of scouting reports and mock rankings and I don't want to seem grossly uninformed compared to everyone else :(

Reactions: BigToe

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I remember reading through this thread last year before I was a member and thoroughly enjoying it.

I'd love to participate this time around because I love this sort of thing, but I don't know much about this draft outside of scouting reports and mock rankings and I don't want to seem grossly uninformed compared to everyone else :(
The point is to have fun. Or has Hakstol ruined fun for ya?

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California

Go for it, it's a great way to learn about prospects. You'll be fine.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
This looks fun, although I only know about prospects up until around the middle of the second this year.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm in again.

Folks don't need @Magua level knowledge to participate and have fun. Go in blind, @Chuck Downie provides links to prospect rankings, google is your friend, recommend that you be drinking (alcohol) while doing YT analysis and pick selections.

Reactions: Chuck Downie

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'd like to be in again. I nailed both Brannstrom at #15 and Robin Salo at #46 last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad