Fantasy Sports: Flyers Board 2017 Mock Draft Results

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Freaking Ken Holland went off the rocker. :cry:

For what it's worth, I think you had a better draft than he did. But, we'll see in the coming years.

I have just about finished compiling the team by team data, will start the reveal later today once I get my spreadsheet converted to images and uploaded to a hosting service.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Okay, I lied. I ended up coming home a bit early and got busy spending time with my wife and playing too much Pokemon Go. Apologies for the delay.

Before I start posting the results, here's an explanation:

The Denominator Index (DI) is the primary score. It gives each mock pick a valuation relative to the actual draft. The more accurate you are, the better your DI. It also punishes mock-GMs for picking players that the NHL GMs didn't care to draft with negative points. I have ranked the teams according to their DI score.

The Pick Corsi (PC) is a secondary statistic, which shows how well mock-GMs did at picking players that the real GMs valued highly. It assumes that the real GMs and scouts know more about hockey than the mock GMs and that they are more likely to be correct. A positive PC means you were finding gems later, while a negative PC score means you were reaching for duds earlier.

Obviously, these two scores are often out of alignment - if you have a high PC score you cannot have a high DI score. So don't look at the two numbers together, they measure different things.

We also, as a whole, have low PC scores because we drafted many, many players that the real GMs didn't. Picking an undrafted player comes with a big negative PC, while it was much more rare/difficult to find that player with a big positive PC (Lauzon, Lindstrom, Norris, etc).

The coloured cells have some meaning - I coloured the scores green to draw your eye to the important information. Green cells on the number mean an exact pick, black cells mean an undrafted pick. Red cells on the name mean an auto-pick. I am not sure what to do with these, other than to note them. [edit: forgot to add this before posting images]

I am posting team by team to force everyone to read every chart. I know if I block posted all 31, we'd all just scroll to what we want to see (our team). Plus, suspense and all that.

Last edited:

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Okay, I lied. I ended up coming home a bit early and got busy spending time with my wife and playing too much Pokemon Go. Apologies for the delay.

Before I start posting the results, here's an explanation:

The Denominator Index (DI) is the primary score. It gives each mock pick a valuation relative to the actual draft. The more accurate you are, the better your DI. It also punishes mock-GMs for picking players that the NHL GMs didn't care to draft with negative points. I have ranked the teams according to their DI score.

The Pick Corsi (PC) is a secondary statistic, which shows how well mock-GMs did at picking players that the real GMs valued highly. It assumes that the real GMs and scouts know more about hockey than the mock GMs and that they are more likely to be correct. A positive PC means you were finding gems later, while a negative PC score means you were reaching for duds earlier.

Obviously, these two scores are often out of alignment - if you have a high PC score you cannot have a high DI score. So don't look at the two numbers together, they measure different things.

We also, as a whole, have low PC scores because we drafted many, many players that the real GMs didn't. Picking an undrafted player comes with a big negative PC, while it was much more rare/difficult to find that player with a big positive PC (Lauzon, Lindstrom, Norris, etc).

The coloured cells have some meaning - I coloured the scores green to draw your eye to the important information. Green cells on the number mean an exact pick, black cells mean an undrafted pick. Red cells on the name mean an auto-pick. I am not sure what to do with these, other than to note them.

I am posting team by team to force everyone to read every chart. I know if I block posted all 31, we'd all just scroll to what we want to see (our team). Plus, suspense and all that.

Appreciate all of the effort put into this and look forward to the results (although mine may stink in some rounds).

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
In 31st place, we have Columbus (sobrien).

Xj2H8J1.jpg

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
26th is Pittsburgh (morinisbear). Probably a good time to mention my tie-breaker is that the team with more picks finishes higher, due to a higher risk of hitting duds.

Am0vJAM.jpg

Ernest95

Jul 10, 2015
Philly
At least I can say I'm not last 😜 Jk thanks though for hosting chuck, and thank you denominator for doing these charts.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Well ****. Sorry guys, didn't mean to start this and then disappear for a week. On the plus side, Chuck, you can now end a second week with this!

I actually picked for Washington.

Dammit. I figured there would be small glitches, I will fix them up at the end. Thanks for letting me know, and please post if you see any others.

So, to continue:

gQXvMgh.jpg

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
20. San Jose (Ruck Over)

yd52zUd.jpg

Fake news. Other source's analysis has my draft results much higher, the highest. No other draft was better than my draft per analytical sources. Other drafts wish they were as good as my draft.

Numbers don't lie, people do.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Fake news. Other source's analysis has my draft results much higher, the highest. No other draft was better than my draft per analytical sources. Other drafts wish they were as good as my draft.

Numbers don't lie, people do.

Hey man, 4 misses and still a positive pick corsi? That's hella impressive. Or lucky. Or an example of my numbers meaning nothing. One of those things, for sure.

15 is Los Angeles (GoneFullHextall)

V9wBtrC.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad