Confirmed with Link: Flyers aquire Justin Bailey from Buffalo in exchange for Taylor Leier (Bailey recalled 2/10)

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
But Beef...if Weal is worth more than a 6th, are we to believe that Fletch got a call for Weal, was offered a 6th, and did not call one other team in the entire league to see if anyone would offer a 5th?

Or that Fletch made 1 call to AZ to see his worth, was offered a 6th, and never called any other team?

I find that hard to believe.

I personally said I thought he was worth a 4th or 5th. But I also said no playoff team is looking to add a Weal type guy for the playoff run. Almost every team has a Weal type in their system...either on their team or toiling in the AHL.

And in your examples, I see Marody who was a prospect. Weal is an upcoming UFA.

Honestly, how many teams are looking for a 26 year old, small 3rd line player who can get 25 points and is a UFA? If AZ did not have 3 of 4 centers hurt, it might have been zero.
You'd have better luck trying to have a logical conversation about this with a wall.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And people were complaining he might get recalled ahead of NAK?

To me, they're similar players, and fit what Fletcher probably wants in the organization, high energy big fast players - if you can't have skill, go for guys who can pressure other teams on the forecheck and wear down their defensemen.

The problem with Weal, Cousins and Leier was they didn't have enough skill for the top 6, enough speed to compensate or enough size to be physical. Guys with limited upside for ANY role. Later in the draft you have to compromise, but these were tweener compromises. Not gambles on a player filling out or on physical attributes that still have value (size/speed) if the player never develops NHL skills.

Compare to say Vorobyev and Bunnaman, who may only have average speed, but have size and skill, or Twarynski, who has good speed and size but less skill - Bunnaman may not have more skill than Cousins or Weal, but he has more size which allows him to go to the net or win board battles.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

To me, they're similar players, and fit what Fletcher probably wants in the organization, high energy big fast players - if you can't have skill, go for guys who can pressure other teams on the forecheck and wear down their defensemen.

The problem with Weal, Cousins and Leier was they didn't have enough skill for the top 6, enough speed to compensate or enough size to be physical. Guys with limited upside for ANY role. Later in the draft you have to compromise, but these were tweener compromises. Not gambles on a player filling out or on physical attributes that still have value (size/speed) if the player never develops NHL skills.

Compare to say Vorobyev and Bunnaman, who may only have average speed, but have size and skill, or Twarynski, who has good speed and size but less skill - Bunnaman may not have more skill than Cousins or Weal, but he has more size which allows him to go to the net or win board battles.
One of Hextall's biggest problems was he accumulated to many "'tweeners" at the bottom of the lineup who lacked the size and speed to be effective causing turnovers.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa

Wow, I actually agree with some of this and a few of your other posts lately...have you been on more drugs lately or less? :huh:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One of Hextall's biggest problems was he accumulated to many "'tweeners" at the bottom of the lineup who lacked the size and speed to be effective causing turnovers.

To be fair, he "inherited" them more than accumulated them.
Cousins, Leier, Straka and Akeson were Holmgren's picks. As was Laughton who has become a solid 4th line guy.
White was ok until he fell off the cliff.
Umberger and Lehtera were cap dumps.
Luby had potential but never turn it into anything.
PEB was a solid 4th line guy.
VdV lacked speed for the role but was a good PK guy.

So only Weal can be blamed on Hextall, and he was a throw-in on a cap dump.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
“THEORY”?!?!?!?!?

IT’S NOT A “THEORY”
ITS A FACT

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

BIRDS ARENT REAL
THEY'RE DRONES MADE BY THE GOVERNMENT

THATS WHY YOU HAVENT SEEN BIRDS SINCE THE GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN

Time for the white jacket guys to pay you a visit, they'll be coming in black helicopters.
Birds are flying dinosaurs.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
To be fair, he "inherited" them more than accumulated them.
Cousins, Leier, Straka and Akeson were Holmgren's picks. As was Laughton who has become a solid 4th line guy.
White was ok until he fell off the cliff.
Umberger and Lehtera were cap dumps.
Luby had potential but never turn it into anything.
PEB was a solid 4th line guy.
VdV lacked speed for the role but was a good PK guy.

So only Weal can be blamed on Holmgren, and he was a throw-in on a cap dump.

Hextall signed Bellemare as a free agent. Hextall later re-signed Bellemare to an extension.
Hextall signed Vandevelde as a free agent. Hextall later re-signed Vandevelde to an extension.
Hextall signed Ryan White as a free agent. He later extended him for another year.
Hextall chose to dump Hartnell for Umberger, and every story I read indicated that Hextall actively targeted Umberger in the trade, not even shopping Hartnell around elsewhere to what else he could get.
Hextall signed Lyubimov.
Hextall signed Boyd Gordon.
Hextall signed Dale Weise for 4 years and over $2M per.

None of these guys were burners, particularly the bigger ones.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The tinfoil also serves as an anti-poop shield.
I warned you guys about Weal and nobody listened.

Now I’m warning you again and you guys still won’t listen.

The proof is out there. You guys better figure it out before it’s too late.

Dw9mtElWwAAdK2J.jpg

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The birds are out there, just the other day walking my dog I saw three Crows harass a Red Tailed Hawk, and a Bald Eagle perched over the railroad tracks (them are big suckers) and a vulture doing its lazy circle waiting for road kill.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hartnell didn't have value because every GM in the league knew he wouldn't be able to play out his contract and would have to be bought out.

Reactions: Larry44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->