Flyers appreciation thread..

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I keep saying it and people keep arguing but this next decade could EASILY be worse than the last one.

We're well on our way to that reality.

With the exception of a small handful of players, f*** this entire franchise.

f*** the ownership
f*** the management
f*** the coaches
f*** the fans

All trash. None of them are the least bit likeable or respectable.

I've been pounding this drum too. I think especially because their ability to develop players seems truly broken. The only players on the last 10 years that have exceeded expectations are who? Coots and Lindblom? Anybody else? Between Sanheim, Provorov, Hart, Konecny, Farabee, Frost, all the currently floundering first rounders we haven't been able to develop one high impact player and I would say none have exceeded expectations. Until they figure that out everything else the franchise does is irrelevent.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I've been pounding this drum too. I think especially because their ability to develop players seems truly broken. The only players on the last 10 years that have exceeded expectations are who? Coots and Lindblom? Anybody else? Between Sanheim, Provorov, Hart, Konecny, Farabee, Frost, all the currently floundering first rounders we haven't been able to develop one high impact player and I would say none have exceeded expectations. Until they figure that out everything else the franchise does is irrelevent.
Farabee is the player I am most excited to watch grow. The flyers are just making it hard to care now though.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wouldn’t say all of them are floundering but they’ve all been heavily f***ed with in ways that make their job much harder than it needs to be. In other words, the exact opposite of what a competent team would do.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I wouldn’t say all of them are floundering but they’ve all been heavily f***ed with in ways that make their job much harder than it needs to be. In other words, the exact opposite of what a competent team would do.

That's exactly my point. The team doesn't seem to do much to support and develop the young kids. Morin, Ruby, JOB, Patrick and to a degree now Frost (not that I think he won't be fine in the long run but 5 years after his draft he has done nothing of note so far.) Are all to one degree or another floundering.

Thats a lot of misses or at least delayed development in the last 11 first round picks. Even somebody like Provorov has never made a noticeable leap forward even though he had the raw talent to play as a 19 year old. The only two first rounders that have entered the league and felt like they have made consistent and noticeable progress in my eyes are TK and Sanheim. Hopefully Farabee will as well.

And this isn't meant to be dumping on the players. I blame the organization. The Flyers are a premier (or were) organization that makes tons of money. They should have the most top notch skills coaches, trainers, nutritionists etc that money can buy. They should be pouring capital into scouting, drafting and especially development. They should be pushing the envelope and finding ways to maximize these kids potential where ever possible and instead I never hear of anything except for that one woman who is a power skating coach who isn't actually associated with the franchise. Then making Lappy the Phantoms coach is just the cherry on top.

Until I see some sort of larger systemic change within the organization I just watch them with no expectatiosn because as it stands right now I don't think it really matters how much talent they infuse into it the Flyers just dont know what to do with it.

@Captain Dave Poulin do you define this as spite and how would you rate it out of 10

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Farabee is the player I am most excited to watch grow. The flyers are just making it hard to care now though.

That's my issue. I'm not even that excited. I think any decent organizations takes Farabees raw talent and mold him into a dynamic 70+ top liner that has the potential to be a PPG player during his peak. With the Flyers I just assume they will f*** it up some how.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's exactly my point. The team doesn't seem to do much to support and develop the young kids. Morin, Ruby, JOB, Patrick and to a degree now Frost (not that I think he won't be fine in the long run but 5 years after his draft he has done nothing of note so far.) Are all to one degree or another floundering.

Thats a lot of misses or at least delayed development in the last 11 first round picks. Even somebody like Provorov has never made a noticeable leap forward even though he had the raw talent to play as a 19 year old. The only two first rounders that have entered the league and felt like they have made consistent and noticeable progress in my eyes are TK and Sanheim. Hopefully Farabee will as well.

And this isn't meant to be dumping on the players. I blame the organization. The Flyers are a premier (or were) organization that makes tons of money. They should have the most top notch skills coaches, trainers, nutritionists etc that money can buy. They should be pouring capital into scouting, drafting and especially development. They should be pushing the envelope and finding ways to maximize these kids potential where ever possible and instead I never hear of anything except for that one woman who is a power skating coach who isn't actually associated with the franchise. Then making Lappy the Phantoms coach is just the cherry on top.

Until I see some sort of larger systemic change within the organization I just watch them with no expectatiosn because as it stands right now I don't think it really matters how much talent they infuse into it the Flyers just dont know what to do with it.

@Captain Dave Poulin do you define this as spite and how would you rate it out of 10
I wasn’t clear enough in my response.

I understand what you’re saying and I agree completely. I was just saying I wouldn’t specifically say all those guys were “floundering”, even though they’ve been screwed over. I think some of them have played really well in spite of the complete lack of development help and constant misuse.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I wasn’t clear enough in my response.

I understand what you’re saying and I agree completely. I was just saying I wouldn’t specifically say all those guys were “floundering”, even though they’ve been screwed over. I think some of them have played really well in spite of the complete lack of development help and constant misuse.

Yeah we are saying the same thing we are just defining "floundering" differently in our own minds.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I keep saying it and people keep arguing but this next decade could EASILY be worse than the last one.

We're well on our way to that reality.

With the exception of a small handful of players, f*** this entire franchise.

f*** the ownership
f*** the management
f*** the coaches
f*** the fans

All trash. None of them are the least bit likeable or respectable.

This post is exactly how I feel. It just feels like it’s getting worse.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

It's not really spite, because you kept yourself in control too much and didn't make it personal enough. I agree with everything you said and would give it a 10/10 as an evaluation, but if you want to join the Teen Spitans, you need to lose your shit. For example, next time say something like "I know that Blech Blah is supposed to have this great eye for talent, but I am pretty sure he has too much face fat to see anything."

JMACole

Jun 27, 2020
PEI
Like everyone else, I’m beyond tired of the Flyers just consistently being mediocre. I think rebuild, tank next season and go for a high draft pick is the best way to go, especially with a strong draft coming up in 2022. A chance at Shane Wright could be worth the tank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad