TSN: Flyers and Provorov nowhere close to a contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Any argument for acquiring Laine despite his down year is exactly the same argument as to why you should KEEP Provorov.

Laine is a very straightforward player with clear limitations. Provorov has more potential to return to form, but theres definitely legitimate reason for caution and concern

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Because Provorov has been a #1D at 19 since entering the league and no defensemen faces tougher usage? A down year by his standards when his entire team sucked last year and he got minimal help doesn't change the fact that hes a superior player at a more important position than Nylander is.

Agree on all points. The question is whether this past season was solely a down year or to become of a trend

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
So Provorov put up #1 d-man numbers this past year?

What is this the AHL?
You can’t pick one year and ignore the rest. Putting up 17 goals in one year is as good as it gets. So what if he struggled last year. Every player other than Crosby and mcdavjd go through down years. Even OV had some dark times. I’m not saying Provy will ever score 17 goals again. But you can’t fault him for a near sophomore slump and shitty coaching.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
TIL the Flyers are stacked at forward and defense. Combine that with future Vezina winner Carter Hart and the Flyers must be true Cup contenders this year, huh?

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
The fact you are using a 1 year sample size tells me all I need to know about your talent evaluation....or lack of

Good luck on your Nylander PR campaign

So you dislike using a 1 year sample size (most recent season), but it's okay to use a whopping...2 year sample size (2 and 3 seasons ago).

Interesting approach

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
You can’t pick one year and ignore the rest. Putting up 17 goals in one year is as good as it gets. So what if he struggled last year. Every player other than Crosby and mcdavjd go through down years. Even OV had some dark times. I’m not saying Provy will ever score 17 goals again. But you can’t fault him for a near sophomore slump and ****ty coaching.

There are 3 seasons to use for reference. Most recent season was bad. Not kind of bad, but bad. First 2 seasons were strong no doubt. It remains to be seen which version of Provorov shows up in 19-20.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
So you dislike using a 1 year sample size (most recent season), but it's okay to use a whopping...2 year sample size (2 and 3 seasons ago).

Interesting approach

Ya, cuz we all know GM's hand out contracts regularly based on 60 game sample sizes .:huh: Amazing that Jordan Binnington isn't earning a 10mil salary like Price and Bobrovksy:laugh:

Apparently arbitration meetings are all about 1 year performance bias, and that's how they determine value:confused:

Ya sorry, it's not an interesting approach, it's the common sense approach...the approach that the NHL uses. The approach that scouts use

Provy is not going into contract negotiations based on last year. He will be judged on 3 yeears of NHL experience and his projected development from junior aswell

Unless a major injury is is a mitigating factor, players aren't judged by 1 year sample sizes. That's just stoopid

That's why I called you Chiarelli, cuz clearly you think that's how talent is evaluated

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Ya, cuz we all know GM's hand out contracts regularly based on 60 game sample sizes .:huh: Amazing that Jordan Binnington isn't earning a 10mil salary like Price and Bobrovksy:laugh:

Apparently arbitration meetings are all about 1 year performance bias, and that's how they determine value:confused:

Ya sorry, it's not an interesting approach, it's the common sense approach...the approach that the NHL uses. The approach that scouts use

Provy is not going into contract negotiations based on last year. He will be judged on 3 yeears of NHL experience and his projected development from junior aswell

Unless a major injury is is a mitigating factor, players aren't judged by 1 year sample sizes. That's just stoopid

That's why I called you Chiarelli, cuz clearly you think that's how talent is evaluated

Have you ever heard of the phrase "contract year"? Players have extra motivation to perform better because most recent seasons have a significant influence on future contracts...and that works for both players and GMs.

Provorov and Laine and several other RFAs lost money on their next contract due to poor performances this past season.

And theres no need for name calling to make a point. These things can be evaluated from objective positions...its not personal it's just sports!

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
TIL the Flyers are stacked at forward and defense. Combine that with future Vezina winner Carter Hart and the Flyers must be true Cup contenders this year, huh?
Maybe in a couple years when the kids have a bit more experience, but soon.

Reactions: Devonator

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
There are 3 seasons to use for reference. Most recent season was bad. Not kind of bad, but bad. First 2 seasons were strong no doubt. It remains to be seen which version of Provorov shows up in 19-20.
He was awesome against Pitt in the playoff before his arm fell off. That’s what stands out to me.

Reactions: Larry44

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Have you ever heard of the phrase "contract year"? Players have extra motivation to perform better because most recent seasons have a significant influence on future contracts...and that works for both players and GMs.

Provorov and Laine and several other RFAs lost money on their next contract due to poor performances this past season.

And theres no need for name calling to make a point. These things can be evaluated from objective positions...its not personal it's just sports!

Binnington just had a contract year, and is getting paid less than Koskinen, who didn't

Erik Karlsson is the highest paid dman in the league, and didn't have a contract year. He got paid on his career

So ya, I've heard of contract years, and it's term more emphasized by fans than NHL management most of the time

I highly doubt there is a GM in the league who de values Provorov the same way you do based off a 1 year performance on a bad team

There's a reason Dubas backed up the brinks truck for Matthews and not Nylander. You clearly value players on a whole other level

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Bookmark this and so will I:

I guarantee Joel Farabee scores 50 pts in season.
I am a Flyer fan but Joel has to make the Flyers first of all...this is a bold assumption...However I do agree down the road in a couple of years he should be a 30 30 pt player....

Reactions: TheKingPin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad