TSN: Flyers and Provorov nowhere close to a contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
This is not true. I would take Marner’s 90+ points every day of the week and then bet on Sanheim taking a big step, Gostisbehere bouncing back, and Myers becoming a solid contributor sooner than later.

I love Provorov, but Marner is clearly the more impactful player.
Are you forgetting the 12+ Mil Marner wants? No thanks, sorry.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
I find it amusing when fans tout the accomplishments as a player in the AHL and modest production at the NHL in comparison to a player with historically significant goal scoring accomplishments as an 18-20 year old.
And historically terrible off the puck and extremely lazy. For as talented as Laine is, there's also huge red flags

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Its tough to say that. It's not very different from what's going on with Patrick Laine. Laine looked like the next Ovechkin his first 2 seasons, but was deeply exposed this last season as an excellent sniper...that cant drive play or produce at ES. In other words teams/defenses have figured him out.

Is there not a chance the same has happened with Provorov? Provy wasnt hamstrung with MacDonald all season and actually had decent linemates most of the year. Why did he perform like a middle or bottom pairing dman?

Flyers are deep defensively. I'm high on Sanheim and I think Myers is going to be strong. Ghost and Morin close out the prospect pool as York is going to need some time. Haag is a serviceable bottom pairing guy and so is Morin for now, but I still think Morin has a chance to be that rare special Dman, hopefully.

Nylander is where we want Frost and Farabee and whoever else to be in a few years, but hes there...now. His metrics demonstrate how good he is.
Uhh what?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Its tough to say that. It's not very different from what's going on with Patrick Laine. Laine looked like the next Ovechkin his first 2 seasons, but was deeply exposed this last season as an excellent sniper...that cant drive play or produce at ES. In other words teams/defenses have figured him out.

Is there not a chance the same has happened with Provorov? Provy wasnt hamstrung with MacDonald all season and actually had decent linemates most of the year. Why did he perform like a middle or bottom pairing dman?

Flyers are deep defensively. I'm high on Sanheim and I think Myers is going to be strong. Ghost and Morin close out the prospect pool as York is going to need some time. Haag is a serviceable bottom pairing guy and so is Morin for now, but I still think Morin has a chance to be that rare special Dman, hopefully.

Nylander is where we want Frost and Farabee and whoever else to be in a few years, but hes there...now. His metrics demonstrate how good he is.

You want to trade a 1st pair dman for a 1 dimensional winger? Is your name Peter Chiarelli?

Reactions: HyPnOtiK

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Laine is nowhere near the impact player provorov is.

One dimensional PP scoring winger who plays zero defense or a legit #1 Dman.

Ill take the #1D over the lazy winger
One has a generational shot. The other is remarkably average in every aspect (and no, he's not a "legit #1"). It doesn't matter though, because I don't think Cheveldayoff is dumb enough to sell low.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
One has a generational shot. The other is remarkably average in every aspect (and no, he's not a "legit #1"). It doesn't matter though, because I don't think Cheveldayoff is dumb enough to sell low.

I won't crown Provy as our stud #1...but I have to say, Provorov is the person I'd pick if I was hard-pressed to name our #1 defenseman.

I trust him at any time in the game. Maybe someone will overtake it, but I think Provy's earned legit #1 status on the Flyers.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Just because Provorov gets a lot of minutes doesn't make him a true #1 D. Flyers fans who wouldn't trade him for Laine are insane.
Laine is awesome, but his production could be met by farabee in a few years for a lot less. Laine wants and will get paid more than Provy. Provy could win us a series or two with his ability to erase players.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Laine is nowhere near the impact player provorov is.

One dimensional PP scoring winger who plays zero defense or a legit #1 Dman.

Ill take the #1D over the lazy winger

I think provorov is more of a #2 right now than a 1, and i think Sanheim passes him as soon as next year, but I'd have to think long and hard about this. We Could in theory, absorb the loss because we could just Run Sanheim and Ghost on the left, and we're ultimately going to lose a D to the Exp Draft anyway. We also have York in the pipeline now, as well.

That being said, if the plan is to compete right now (which seems to be Fletcher's mindset), Provorov is the better fit. We dont currently have anyone on the roster that has demonstrated the ability to do what he does. And while we don't have anyone that has scored the goals that Laine has, we at least have the position covered adequately. Can't say the same for our D if we move Provorov out right now.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Generational shot.....yet had less ES goals than Vesey, Soderberg, Eakin, Cizikas, Filppula, Coleman, AND OVER 100 OTHER FORWARDS.

Yup...Laine with that generational shot was tied for 112th in ES goals this year.

1 year ago was much better....tied for 21st....with Couturier and Konecny. Guess they don't need generational shots.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Generational shot.....yet had less ES goals than Vesey, Soderberg, Eakin, Cizikas, Filppula, Coleman, AND OVER 100 OTHER FORWARDS.

Yup...Laine with that generational shot was tied for 112th in ES goals this year.

1 year ago was much better....tied for 21st....with Couturier and Konecny. Guess they don't need generational shots.
He played one season through a back injury and suddenly his shot is worse than Blake ****ing Coleman or something? Have you actually watched Laine play? Like... I can't possibly believe you would post this if you did.
Laine is awesome, but his production could be met by farabee in a few years for a lot less. Laine wants and will get paid more than Provy. Provy could win us a series or two with his ability to erase players.
Wait, are you serious? Is this a serious post?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He played one season through a back injury and suddenly his shot is worse than Blake ****ing Coleman or something? Have you actually watched Laine play? Like... I can't possibly believe you would post this if you did.

No one said it's worse. He has a great shot and does nothing else.....THAT'S the issue.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
You assume all that "forward talent" is going to develop to full potential.

I guess we're still waiting on Scott Laughton, NAK, Laberge, and Wade Allison than too? Everybody doesnt make it
Well, Hexy’s picks are all panning out pretty well: Provy, Sanheim, Konecny, Patrick, Lindblom, Myers as UFA. Morin and Hagg are players too and Rubtsov will crack the lineup this year, with Frost and Farabee looking like studs. We don’t need Nylander, and certainly not at the price of Provy. Pass.

Last edited:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Just because Provorov gets a lot of minutes doesn't make him a true #1 D. Flyers fans who wouldn't trade him for Laine are insane.
Disagree. You want to toss away a top pairing defenseman for a flawed but talented winger.
Remember all those years when the Flyers could score but didn’t have that true top pair defenseman? Holmgren tried to buy one for years. Imagine if Nashville didn’t match the Weber OS? The depth on the blueline would be pretty thin.
I keep Provorov and bet on him rebounding with a competent coaching staff

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Eh, yes? I think Farabee could score 30 goals and get 20 assists. I think he’s very likely to get 50 pts.

Jyssy

Jan 2, 2004
Jyväskylä, Finland
I knew this page was very much "what have you done for me lately" but this Laine bashing is really something else. Can't wait for the season to start and for him to shut up everyone here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad