Flyers Advanced Analysis Thread (2018-2019)

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
Yeah, there was the issue where if he had to move a limb to make a save the save likely wasn't happening.

That 2010 squad once Lavi got things rolling was a bit of a stat anomaly as I recall. For instance we didn't do well at Corsi; but that makes sense because why wouldn't you take every possible shot at Leighton? And on top of that, we did well at keeping shot quality low. Even Carter destroyed that Devil in a game when he shot from the slot, because they had to play like they had an empty net.

I was at that game! Nasty hit.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
You mean early last year?

Though, at that point it chiefly showed in stats because the eye test showed goofiness. Nonetheless they were doing work.
Yeah. Visually, they lacked a certain smoothness, but were getting the job done. I think Magua has it summed up above. Gudas = good, Travis = extra special.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
It came before the reforms ushered in in part due to Richards' hit on Booth earlier in the year.

Good thing it happened. That hit was totally unnecessary. I get people want hockey to be physical and I'm all for big open ice hits if players have their head down but I don't think players should take advantage of other players on the ice.

Last edited:

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
6AFF65CE-CB4C-4931-9CE6-84A2041EBAA6.jpeg

D685671F-92BA-486B-A842-C8CF82D6339B.jpeg

I’m no fan of Christian Folin...but there is no justifiable reason to take him out of the lineup in favor of MacDonald right now. Zero.

The coach said MacDonald is ready to make an “impact.” Anyone think that it'll actually be a positive impact?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The games are too tight to be throwing big hits anymore beyond the potential supplemental discipline. Refs will assuredly call a big collision a penalty whether legit or not more times than not.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Those players atleast got the nose dirty. Players when hitting can over do it from time to time but they werent dirty players.

Not dirty players but both of those hits were dirty. Neither of them served any purpose of separating the player from the puck.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Not dirty players but both of those hits were dirty. Neither of them served any purpose of separating the player from the puck.
If they got in the shoulders that's how you separeate players from the puck. Nothing is better then taking the body because it deters softer players but it is your puck without any fight.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
View attachment 149583

View attachment 149581

I’m no fan of Christian Folin...but there is no justifiable reason to take him out of the lineup in favor of MacDonald right now. Zero.

The coach said MacDonald is ready to make an “impact.” Anyone think that it'll actually be a positive impact?

good lord. AMac is elite! he is in the top 1 percentile is so many categories and in some he is even higher. Guy is killing it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

That’s a 5 minute major & likely a long suspension today. That’s been detering the vast majority of the league now a days (sans your Wilson’s & Gudas’). I’m sure more education on head injuries as well.

That hit happened almost a decade ago believe it or not. It was before a headshot rule was even in place. The Richards hit on Booth & the Cooke hit on Savard that both didn’t get suspended at the time changed the game on that front.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
If they got in the shoulders that's how you separeate players from the puck. Nothing is better then taking the body because it deters softer players but it is your puck without any fight.

The puck was already gone from their sticks by the time they got hit, heck one puck was already in the net. I love physical hard hockey just as much as everyone else but that hit is unacceptable.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
The puck was already gone from their sticks by the time they got hit, heck one puck was already in the net. I love physical hard hockey just as much as everyone else but that hit is unacceptable.
Hahahaha I know but they didn't stop playing like some on the current team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->