Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4, Penguins 3 (OT) - **** **** ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
The point in that the main board thread, people are literally going out of their way to justify it as legal because it's the Pens. When did a players safety become trivial based on which jersey they wore? Then the fans boo the guy? Really? Boo an injured guy?

Flyers fans and caps fans in that thread are just putrid people.

I want to think their fans aren't that crappy but then over 50k booed Dumoulin while he was injured. Class isn't in the flyers fan vernacular or behavior.

Yes, because the 4 minutes it took me to look for those games to confirm what I recalled really set me back in life. Appreciate the constructive criticism.

If you can't see that NHL referees retaliate when teams and coaches are perceived to have shown them up, I don't know what to tell you.

I mean there has been multiple times we have seen this as proof.

How do the Flyers not get one penalty in this game?

Explain where 4 years apart mean anything but the refs/league hold grudges when challenged.

Like they are above it all and and don't have to be pardison and do their jobs.

I just think you guys look way too much into things like that. If it works for you, that's cool. I just have a different opinion.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Murray was terrible last season and arguably the biggest reason why they didn’t threepeat and not a peep was said. Now he’s rebounding nicely for the most part and he gets completely dumped on by the media after The Jack Johnson Defense Program was established. What the f*** Pittsburgh.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Agreed. It's even obvious in the PGT. If Murray's having a strong stretch of games, certain posters are nowhere to be found. The second Murray has a stinker, they show up and post frequently.
Honestly, there a few for several players. Geno and Kessel are the most popular after Murray. And then there are the ones who you never see when the team is losing, but show up after a couple of wins to look down their noses at everyone for being so negative. I get that life gets crazy and we don't always have time to hang out on a message board, but some of them are so predictable you could set a clock by them.

EDIT: Also, regarding Yohe and DK trashing Murray, it's probably part of the recent Pens PR push to change the JJ narrative. Maybe not, I'm an admitted cynic on the topic.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Murray was terrible last season and arguably the biggest reason why they didn’t threepeat and not a peep was said. Now he’s rebounding nicely for the most part and he gets completely dumped on by the media after The Jack Johnson Defense Program was established. What the **** Pittsburgh.
Haha. I was editing my post to comment on the PR stuff.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Murray was terrible last season and arguably the biggest reason why they didn’t threepeat and not a peep was said. Now he’s rebounding nicely for the most part and he gets completely dumped on by the media after The Jack Johnson Defense Program was established. What the **** Pittsburgh.

Yet, if they put as much effort to fixing the D-core as they went out of their way to land Brassard, that series against the Caps probably goes differently.

Even with meat head Letang. They put a lot of stress on the D-corpse and Goaltending.

They are trying to fix that this year. Painfully/slowly.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The fact that JR basically insinuated that JJ has been good this year and then questioned Murray and Rust earlier in the year just tells me exactly what kind of GM he is and has been.

Glad we got 2 cups out of his decisions, but given the amount of other AGMs and assistants he had at the time, not surprised as soon as a couple people are taken out of that group the team is just a mess.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yet, if they put as much effort to fixing the D-core as they went out of their way to land Brassard, that series against the Caps probably goes differently.

Even with meat head Letang. They put a lot of stress on the D-corpse and Goaltending.

They are trying to fix that this year. Painfully/slowly.

The worst part is they got JJ for that reason while De Haan was available. Just a complete joke in terms of identifying solutions.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Crosby's GF:GA this season:
5on5 - 68 GF, 32 GA
ES - 74 GF, 47 GA
All strengths - 105 GF, 61 GA

Where are you even getting your numbers to suggest he's "breaking even"?

Empoleon8771
It's Sprong's Fault

All situations goal differential in the last 15 games:

Letang: +1 (25 GF, 24 GA)
Crosby: +2 (20 GF, 18 GA)
Guentzel: +3 (21 GF, 20 GA)
Kessel: -8 (13 GF, 21 GA)
Malkin: -1 (16 GF, 17 GA in 11 games)

When your top players are playing to a draw in terms of goals for and goals against, you're going to have a lot of trouble winning games. This team is basically demanding their depth players win games for them right now, because their top players are getting scored on just as much as they're scoring. That isn't a recipe for success for any team.

Feb 7, 2019ReportBookmark
Unlike

I was mistaken. It wasn’t for the whole season, but only for the latest 15 games (at the moment).

But the point stands though.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Yohe definitely is an idiot. But there is little doubt that Murray was our biggest problem last night.

Murray certainly has been shaky of late and cost them the game last night. Given that DeSmith has a .876 SV% and 4.23 GAA in 2019, though, I'm not really sure I understand the clamoring to go to him. You're not winning a Cup with DeSmith, so either ride it out with Murray and hope he regains his form or make a trade.

Reactions: SirBrad

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Just got bring up the fact that anyone that thinks Letang shouldn’t have behaved how he did after the Dumoulin and is “putting himself in harms way” by defending a cheapshot on his d-partner is absolutely asisine.

And furthermore going to the thought process that Oleksiak would have changed that is even more asisine because any a player like that shouldn’t be on our top pairing. Honestly, I can’t think of a top pairing D that couldn’t have possibly gotten hurt in the same situation outside of Chara.

Letang, Sid and Malkin are where they are in terms of legacy because they don’t take shit like that.

@Terrapin @Soggy Biscuit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Yohe is a ****ing idiot. To even remotely imply Murray is the biggest problem on this team is just absurd.

What a turd.

Just got bring up the fact that anyone that thinks Letang shouldn’t have behaved how he did after the Dumoulin and is “putting himself in harms way” by defending a cheapshot on his d-partner is absolutely asisine.

And furthermore going to the thought process that Oleksiak would have changed that is even more asisine because any a player like that shouldn’t be on our top pairing. Honestly, I can’t think of a top pairing D that couldn’t have possibly gotten hurt in the same situation outside of Chara.

Letang, Sid and Malkin are where they are in terms of legacy because they don’t take **** like that.

@Terrapin @Soggy Biscuit

There's defending your partner and then there's flying in without any thought to your surroundings.

Nobody's suggesting Letang should have simply stood emotionless and waited for the whistle. But he regularly throws caution to the wind and often pays for it - doesn't take a genius to figure out why he's only played more than 71 games 1 time in the last 8 years. That's the yin and yang of Letang.

Here's hoping he comes back quick and at the same level, because he's been outstanding this year.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Independent of these injuries, this team is unwatchable. Just chip the puck from here to there without being able to generate any real separation or room for anyone to make a play.

JR succeeded in 2016, not necessarily by adding the best players he could have, but by assembling a group who all pulled in the same direction and who, collectively, hit a critical mass in a few areas (speed, tenacity). We're back to the 2015 squad, where it's just 20 guys of variable quality who don't have any particular strength in common. Watching these Pens is no more or less interesting than watching those Pens.

On a team-wide basis, the Pens are average sized, average speed, below-average toughness, below-average defense, above-average finish. This type of roster never amounts to anything.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA

Letang, Sid and Malkin are where they are in terms of legacy because they don’t take **** like that.

@Terrapin @Soggy Biscuit
What does that mean, “they don’t take shit like that”???

Has Sid or Geno or Letang “not taking shit like that” stopped anyone from doing it? No. They all get targeted nonstop and them “not taking it” doesn’t stop one damn thing.

Geno missed several games because he engaged Stamkos in a stupid fight. He then missed another one for his stick swing because he got pissed. He then set in motion the events they led to the Flyers tying it last night because he just couldn’t skate away from the cross check and had to engage.

Letang got himself injured last night by injecting himself into a situation that he shouldn’t have. He’s not f***ing Bufeglin, he shouldn’t be doing that given his fragile history.

Until the NHL finally shakes off the chains of the “old time hockey” era for good, this kind of shit will continue and the “code” will always have to be adhered to.

Sid, Geno and Letang don’t need to keep taking matters into their own hands to “prove” how tough they are or that they won’t take the bullshit laying down. Besides, it doesn’t stop any of it anyway. In fact, it encourages more teams to go after them because there’s a good chance that they will retaliate and be taken off the ice for it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
What does that mean, “they don’t take **** like that”???

Has Sid or Geno or Letang “not taking **** like that” stopped anyone from doing it? No. They all get targeted nonstop and them “not taking it” doesn’t stop one damn thing.

Geno missed several games because he engaged Stamkos in a stupid fight. He then missed another one for his stick swing because he got pissed. He then set in motion the events they led to the Flyers tying it last night because he just couldn’t skate away from the cross check and had to engage.

Letang got himself injured last night by injecting himself into a situation that he shouldn’t have. He’s not ****ing Bufeglin, he shouldn’t be doing that given his fragile history.

Until the NHL finally shakes off the chains of the “old time hockey” era for good, this kind of **** will continue and the “code” will always have to be adhered to.

Sid, Geno and Letang don’t need to keep taking matters into their own hands to “prove” how tough they are or that they won’t take the bull**** laying down. Besides, it doesn’t stop any of it anyway. In fact, it encourages more teams to go after them because there’s a good chance that they will retaliate and be taken off the ice for it.

Honestly they do. The way the game is policied it is by the players themselves. Yzerman, Sakic, Forsberg, Clarke, Messier, Lemieux, etc. the greats have all been able to get in their shots.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Honestly they do. The way the game is policied it is by the players themselves. Yzerman, Sakic, Forsberg, Clarke, Messier, Lemieux, etc. the greats have all been able to get in their shots.
Sure, get your shots in, but it doesn’t change the fact that it does not stop the abuse and will not stop it. As these 3 get older, they will get abused more and they have proven that they will lose their shit fairly regularly when pushed.

Geno swinging his stick in frustration and getting suspended, Letang jumping into the fray and getting injured, or Sid throwing gloved haymakers at Dillon and getting ejected doesn’t “scare” anyone from continuously getting under their skin. It encourages them even more...

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Let's also not forget how Bjugstad could've cleared, but was lazy and got jostled.

Let’s also not forget how Kessel had a breakaway one on one and could make it 4:1 but blindly shot it into Elliot’s pads.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As I wrote on the main board a billion dollar league crippling judgment over handling of concussion issues is pretty much inevitable.

Based on incidents like Dumo's and the head in the sand handling of them.

And the NHL deserves to be broken over it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
As I wrote on the main board a billion dollar league crippling judgment over handling of concussion issues is pretty much inevitable.

Based on incidents like Dumo's and the head in the sand handling of them.

And the NHL deserves to be broken over it.

Didn't the first wave of cases already basically get dismantled?

They'll just keep on getting away with it until somebody dies out on the ice in horrific fashion. And even then they'll try to blame it on equipment or "the speed of the game" or some other dumb half-assed horseshit excuse.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
You know what would be really great? If the stripes were unbiased, competent and not only knew the rules but actually applied them consistently. No even ups because they f***ed up. No reffing to the score. No petty wannabe despots refusing to call penalties because someone on your team dared criticize them and they'll show you who's really in charge. I understand that they're human and will make mistakes, but, man, the NHL really needs to overhaul that department. If I were a player I'd pushing for something in the next CBA.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Didn't the first wave of cases already basically get dismantled?

They'll just keep on getting away with it until somebody dies out on the ice in horrific fashion. And even then they'll try to blame it on equipment or "the speed of the game" or some other dumb half-assed horse**** excuse.

It wasn't a class action lawsuit, only 100 former players, settled for $19 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad