Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4, Penguins 2 - And The Beat Goes On

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
he's actually one of the few reasons this can actually win anything at all this year. Bad game last night for sure, but he's the most important player on this roster right now imo. Not best, but most irreplaceable. We are toast if he goes down.

And the idea that he's good in the regular season but not the playoffs simply doesn't hold water.
1: he was struggling all year last year, not just the playoffs.
2: The playoffs before that, he was incredible.

Playoffs before that they won the Cup without him but I know what you mean. 3 years ago. We can agree to disagree.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
are you saying you don't think he was good in the 2016 playoffs?

He was good but he made a lot of the same mistakes he always has. Last year doesn't happen overnight. Your hockey IQ doesn't magically drop. He scored some big goals that helped mask it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He was good but he made a lot of the same mistakes he always has. Last year doesn't happen overnight. Your hockey IQ doesn't magically drop. He scored some big goals that helped mask it.
most d-men in that role make similar mistakes. I dunno, I guess I don't know what people expect. High end offensive d-men make those mistakes.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What the heck is this post? Why is it wrong to critique Letang's positioning. It's been an issue for quite a while. It's just one part of his game that he hasn't figured out. We can all point to that classic experience last year where he left his positioning.

Once again... it's okay to talk about all the good. But it should also be fair game to analyze the bad, too. Even if the good outweighs the bad. To me, it's the same thing that I do with the Pens. It's okay to remember we are blessed with the good and it is also okay to critique the bad. I'm not just going to throw 3 Cups in people's faces.

Letang's positioning has been an issue. He's also had a nice resume of good this year and IMO is only behind Sid for the best player on our team.

The fact you are defending a Letang troll after getting after me about bringing up Sprong and ZAR’s equal amount of inability is humorous.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The fact you are defending a Letang troll after getting after me about bringing up Sprong and ZAR’s equal amount of inability is humorous.

Ahh I am not up on my users with a personal grudge on certain players. I thought critiquing Letang on his positioning is more than fair for this game, though. But if we are just waiting for players to fail, then that is on us.

And to be fair - I was waaaaaaaay to harsh on ZAR yesterday. He was okay to good for what he does. My problem is that he just can't finish a play to save his life.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ahh I am not up on my users with a personal grudge on certain players. I thought critiquing Letang on his positioning is more than fair for this game, though. But if we are just waiting for players to fail, then that is on us.

And to be fair - I was waaaaaaaay to harsh on ZAR yesterday. He was okay to good for what he does. My problem is that he just can't finish a play to save his life.

Listen, I’m fine with how a certain group of users talk about Letang. Hell, I’m fine with @KIRK’s crazy notion of in 2017 if we had last year’s Letang would we have won.

But certain users just wait around trying to bury him for god knows what reasons. He’s the best PENGUIN d in history.

As I said last night. Letang was off all game. Hard to criticize him when Dumo has somehow also fallen off a cliff.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Listen, I’m fine with how a certain group of users talk about Letang. Hell, I’m fine with @KIRK’s crazy notion of in 2017 if we had last year’s Letang would we have won.

But certain users just wait around trying to bury him for god knows what reasons. He’s the best PENGUIN d in history.

As I said last night. Letang was off all game. Hard to criticize him when Dumo has somehow also fallen off a cliff.

Dumo is BRUTAL. Jesus is he brutal. Can't make a pass. But one thing that drives me nuts is Maatta/JJ being miserable at keeping pucks in.

But oh well. On to the next game.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Dumo is BRUTAL. Jesus is he brutal. Can't make a pass. But one thing that drives me nuts is Maatta/JJ being miserable at keeping pucks in.

But oh well. On to the next game.

Maatta missing blue zone keeps is where I feel off trusting the stats on him. Against the Avs he flubbed five in one period.

Letang’s miscues and mistakes I can deal with. That type of simple shit, when you are already a fringe top four guy is f***ing ridiculous.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Waiting on certain individuals to fail is so last year.

Waiting during the game for the entire team to fail is where it's at today.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Say what you will about Shero, but I don't think he ever built a supporting cast this bad. He built some baaaad forward depth but his defenses were always good. JR has somehow managed to build a bad bottom six and a bad defense. Impressive.

That said he did make some awesome moves to get us 2 Cups, so there's that. All things being equal, I'll take JR's tenure over Sheros 10/10 times. But we're headed in a bad direction and it's not just because our stars are aging.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Say what you will about Shero, but I don't think he ever built a supporting cast this bad. He built some baaaad forward depth but his defenses were always good. JR has somehow managed to build a bad bottom six and a bad defense. Impressive.

That said he did make some awesome moves to get us 2 Cups, so there's that. All things being equal, I'll take JR's tenure over Sheros 10/10 times. But we're headed in a bad direction and it's not just because our stars are aging.

The issue with Shero is he was too focused on building a D. Now he’s gone the opposite way in Jersey lolz

Reactions: Pancakes

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The issue with Shero is he was too focused on building a D. Now he’s gone the opposite way in Jersey lolz
He used his tenure here as trial and error and we were the glorified Guinea pig. That's not to say he didn't make some good trades, but he was far too fixated on the defense which put the offensive burden too much on our stars no question.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

He and Bylsma was such a frustrating combo. If we'd traded Orpik and never signed Scuderi and dumped Bylsma in 2012 who knows how much sooner we could have been a cup winner again.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Saying players have tuned out the coach is a lazy excuse. Literally every forward on this team that is supposed to be producing is. Ditto for Letang on d.

The rest of the roster effin blows. That's all it is. Sullivan isn't coaching it ideally, but he's such a small part of the problem.

Reactions: td_ice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad