Post-Game Talk: Flyers @ 2K22 Tunguska "Grison" 7:07pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Patrick Roy was 30 and 58 days when he gave up 9 to Detroit on 26 shots in his last game for the Habs. Holtby is 30 and 146 days, 7 on 25 shots. It’s just the one example I can think of of a guy of Holtby’s juice, where they left him out after he gave up 6. I’ve talked about moving on from Holtby literally the game after The Save at the game to a guy about to buy a Holtby jersey, and leaving him in was cold.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I hope I’m wrong but a goalie that’s taking you far in the playoffs doesn’t have an .893 sv% after 37 games. He’s done great things for the Caps. He will he remembered and loved. It’s nothing personal, but he just isn’t good enough right now. Tonight’s loss wasn’t solely on him, but he certainly didn’t help. It’s clear that Samsonov is a much better goalie than him this year. I don’t know how many more chances they can give Holtby. I don’t really care as long as they start the correct goalie in the playoffs. Unless Holtby shows otherwise, that’s Samsonov.

I’m also not sure exactly what happened to Holtby. He wasn’t great last year but he was still above average in xGoals saved i’m pretty sure. Now he’s arguably the worst starter in the league. Whether it’s confidence or technique, I’m not sure. But he’s costing himself millions and the team wins right now. I hope he turns it around for his own sake as well as the teams. He deserves a huge payday for his career’s body of work. Just bad timing for him.

Last edited:

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Patrick Roy was 30 and 58 days when he gave up 9 to Detroit on 26 shots in his last game for the Habs. Holtby is 30 and 146 days, 7 on 25 shots. It’s just the one example I can think of of a guy of Holtby’s juice, where they left him out after he gave up 6. I’ve talked about moving on from Holtby literally the game after The Save at the game to a guy about to buy a Holtby jersey, and leaving him in was cold.

The Patrick Roy situation was quite different - Mario Tremblay had been hired as the Habs coach and (to quote wikipedia):

"Roy and Tremblay, who had roomed together while teammates, had a notably strained relationship, with Tremblay regularly mocking Roy's English-speaking abilities. Roy was a frequent target of Tremblay during the latter's sports radio career.[18] The two had almost come to blows in two incidents in 1995, one at a Long Island coffee shop before Tremblay was announced as a coach and after Tremblay allegedly fired a shot at Roy's throat during practice".

Roy (almost certainly correct) believed that Tremblay left him in goal to humiliate him. That was his last game before being traded to Colorado. He won a Cup with them and was in fact still a very good goalie (Vezina runner up to Jim Carey).

That aside, I agree with you: leaving Holtby in tonight was a baffling decision by Rierden. At 2:58 in the third he allowed his 5th goal and (imo) he should have been pulled then.
I just watched the post game interview with Reirden and he actually said the bad performance tonight "wasn't Holtby's fault". That kind of comment concerns me because yes, his teammates played badly and hung him out to dry
for a number of those goals, but not ALL of those goals and to leave him in, after the 5th one?!? Why the hell would you do that IF you are trying to help a guy play his way back into form and gain confidence? The ONLY logical explanation is that Rierden
was worried that Samsonov would also get shelled and then he'd have TWO goalies losing confidence.

This team certainly has the talent across the entire roster to challenge for another Cup, but I think there are some downright bizarre goings on with the coaching staff. They need to figure out how to motivate the players, they need to get them playing better
defensively, and they need to get that power play scoring goals. Oh, and the goaltending. Figure that out as well, cos Holtby has now reached "inconsistent backup" status. He had a good game against the Kings but the one before that was crap and this one tonight was a shocker.

/rant

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
The Caps have arguably the best roster in the league with two weak spots, 2RD and goalie (when Holtby starts). 2RD can be fixed by removing Jensen and adding Fehrevary or a deadline addition. Goalie will be fixed by starting Samsonov in the playoffs or Holtby finding his game (I don’t think he can be any worse). I’m not sure if Reirden is the best coach as of now. But arguably the biggest problem as of now has been the #1G having a .893 sv%. You can’t blame him for trying to start Holtby and get him on track, especially considering Samsonov’s limited workload history. He also hasn’t had a defenseman to replace Jensen with, who has obviously not been great. Even last playoffs, he was missing two key pieces in Oshie and Kempny. This upcoming spring will be very telling for Reirden, especially if Samsonov starts in the playoffs and they add a 2RD. In that case, I don’t see a good reason they shouldn’t make the ECF. And if they don’t, they shouldn’t lose in less than 7.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
As a dispassionate observer - rooting against Caps and Flyers evenly - I just saw the highlights and its really not easy faulting Holtby much on these goals.
There’s the “make a save argument”, OK, but there’s also an argument that shooters were doing a great job and there was NO D.

Anyway, we’ve only had one Caps-Pens game and that was Samsonov, so I have no leg to stand on saying Holtby isn’t a problem. But again - those highlights - this game at least was much, much more about the team in front of him. IMO.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I guess the backup is too cold 3 mins into the third period. Were they decide to change Holtby before intermission it could be done. In the beginning of the third it became riskier to damage both.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The Caps have arguably the best roster in the league with two weak spots, 2RD and goalie (when Holtby starts). 2RD can be fixed by removing Jensen and adding Fehrevary or a deadline addition. Goalie will be fixed by starting Samsonov in the playoffs or Holtby finding his game (I don’t think he can be any worse). I’m not sure if Reirden is the best coach as of now. But arguably the biggest problem as of now has been the #1G having a .893 sv%. You can’t blame him for trying to start Holtby and get him on track, especially considering Samsonov’s limited workload history. He also hasn’t had a defenseman to replace Jensen with, who has obviously not been great. Even last playoffs, he was missing two key pieces in Oshie and Kempny. This upcoming spring will be very telling for Reirden, especially if Samsonov starts in the playoffs and they add a 2RD. In that case, I don’t see a good reason they shouldn’t make the ECF. And if they don’t, they shouldn’t lose in less than 7.

They can't replace Jensen with Fehervary unless one of the LD's is capabable of playing RD. I don't think they can switch just like that so the Caps have to either acquire somebody or call up somebody else from the farm.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Holtby is ass and the team didn't help him tonight... both can be true. Feel for Holts but he's about to get Alzner'd wherever he signs.
Said exactly the same about a month or so ago. Same story as Alzner. The difference is Holtby won't get a big deal like Karl did to sweeten the pot. He will get a 1-2 year try out type of deal and then benched forever.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I hope they never wear those thirds again, we suck in them. They should go back to the white ones, those are fire. It also seems we always have a rough patch around this time of year. Does anyone know if they had a closed door meeting after the game?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well. Advanced shmats or not, Caps won many games out of division. Going by memory their record vs Metro isnt that good. Will check when I get back home.

Maybe they werent that good even before, just played easier matches.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Well. Advanced shmats or not, Caps won many games out of division. Going by memory their record vs Metro isnt that good. Will check when I get back home.

Maybe they werent that good even before, just played easier matches.

You're correct. Caps are 9-9-1 vs Metro. 14-2 vs Atlantic. 10-0-3 vs Pacific, 3-3-1 vs Central.

2019-20 NHL Vs. Division Standings | ESPN

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
So we need to adjust expectations and all will be well. After the season we have a solid move of firing TR. Cant be negative with such tools.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Just me who is starting to think that maybe losing the home ice isn't such a bad thing?

This team just seems to be play very cocky and lack effort any time they are home. On the other hand they play a really structured and well-organised game on the road. I have no idea what's going on with that, and they still have a solid record at home but that's mostly because the talent level is through the roof. But any time they play the way that gets you thinking ''wow that was a dominating performance'', i feel like most of those games were away on the road.

Either way, don't look now. We are 4-5-1 against the Metro at home this season. 2-4-1 at home against other top-6 Metro teams. Yikes.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
Woof. I may have jinxed Holtby. My bad.

How did Fever look? (Probably not great, obviously.)

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Wasn’t able to watch the full game last night and want to go back and watch it later. Obviously, a bad loss, but, how was the Fever-Dima pairing? In terms of who played on their off-side, how was that too? Thanks!

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm getting tired of the team's excuses for Holtby too. The constant "We let him down" bullcrap needs to stop. He's been terrible most of the year and the reason why they've looked terrible in most of those games. That's not even an opinion anymore but plain fact.
They're gonna cuddle him right into the playoffs, aren't they? :help:

Reactions: Heath

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
How to lose friends and alienate people...

We are in for an interesting February.

Chances to win a lot of games with Sammy til the end of June... arent that great realistically, right? At some moment he will be exhausted. And in a need of backup's help. That said backup is in bad shape for uncertain amount of time. Caps are a bit f***ed. Should Caps trade Holtby? Maybe. Who will accept him in a trade? I say no team will.

Imagine one of the contenders trying to trade its starter? That's humongously big red flag. Who would be interested in him before the end of season? That's unreal.

Other GMs aren't dumber than we here, right? Wont bite.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I'm getting tired of the team's excuses for Holtby too. The constant "We let him down" bullcrap needs to stop. He's been terrible most of the year and the reason why they've looked terrible in most of those games. That's not even an opinion anymore but plain fact.
They're gonna cuddle him right into the playoffs, aren't they? :help:

Yep totally agree. It's like they are a bunch of millenials. "Don't blame yourself. Sometimes bad things just happen. It's not your fault". Pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->