The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: With Patrice Bergeron out at least a month, how will the Bruins make up for his absence?

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
All we can hope for is the team threads water until they can get everybody back and then a healthy second half and playoffs.

Short term they somehow have to stay even with Buffalo and Poutineville

When you have this many injuries it is fair game to look at the conditioning program the team has in place. I am not saying that is the issue but it is something they have to look at.

View attachment 156393
View attachment 156395

With Patrice Bergeron out at least a month, how will the...

Even when Bergeron was healthy, the Bruins were having trouble gaining traction. Their tires are at risk of additional slippage as the center heals his aching bones. Consider what will happen for at least the next dozen games:

1. One of the NHL’s best offensive lines is kaput. Bergeron and linemates Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak have combined for 17 five-on-five goals. The 23 other skaters that have played for the Bruins this season have scored a total of 18 five-on-five goals. For a time, the Bruins were worried they were too top-heavy. They’d like to have that problem now.

2. One of the NHL’s best defensive lines is kaput, too. Cassidy regularly used the Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak threesome against top trios: Gabriel Landeskog, Nathan MacKinnon, and Mikko Rantanen (Colorado); Jonathan Marchessault, William Karlsson, and Reilly Smith (Vegas); and Zach Hyman, John Tavares, and Mitch Marner (Toronto). Cassidy no longer has a go-to matchup line.

3. Marchand and Pastrnak are no longer linemates. Pastrnak rode with David Krejci and Anders Bjork in the Bruins’ 2-1 win over Arizona on Saturday. Marchand skated with Joakim Nordstrom and Jake DeBrusk. Marchand assisted on DeBrusk’s goal against Arizona. Pastrnak is 0-0—0 in the last two games.

4. Krejci will have to generate more offense. The former second-line center (two goals and 14 assists in 20 games) has been good this year despite, for a good stretch, having a bottom-six wing on his left (Nordstrom) and a natural left wing on his right (DeBrusk). It’s now likely that Krejci will draw the top defensive pairing every game.

5. Nordstrom, formerly Krejci’s left wing, is the No. 2 center. Nordstrom was already playing at least one line above his ideal position as the second-line left wing. Now he’s out of position as well as being higher than he should be. Nordstrom has won 37.9 percent of his faceoffs, an expected rate for a natural left wing.

6. The No. 1 power-play unit is diminished. Bergeron is arguably the best middle-of-the-ice bumper in the league. Bergeron excels at ripping one-timers and bumping pucks to other man-up options. Bergeron has 11 power-play points, second to Pastrnak’s 12. The key to Bergeron’s performance on the power play is quickness, whether it’s shooting, passing, or processing his surroundings. The Bruins will have to replace that quickness with David Backes, who operates at dialup pace compared to Bergeron’s broadband. Backes has just one point in 15 games.

7. Noel Acciari will have to kill more penalties. Cassidy tabbed Acciari as Marchand’s shorthanded partner in Bergeron’s place against the Coyotes. Acciari did well. The grinding forward logged a game-high 5:20 on the kill, including the game-ending stop with Matt Grzelcyk in the box. Bergeron has 32 career shorthanded points. Acciari has one.

8. The Bruins will start more shifts chasing the puck. Bergeron won 55.7 percent of his faceoffs. The others centers: Krejci (46.7), Nordstrom (37.9), Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson (39.3), and Sean Kuraly (50.0).

And I thought that I couldn't feel any crappier about Bergeron out for 4+ weeks...

Fluto: hold my beer...

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I don’t get the conditioning thing.

If these were mystery injuries popping up, say during practice, or anything else not caused by in-game impact, I would understand. But, pretty much all of these are easily explained.

With “better conditioning”, you’re telling me Chara’s knee would have just held strong?

I can already see the “I’m just saying you’ve got to look at it” coming...but logically, this makes no sense. A silly way to project frustration over some really rotten luck.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Sorry if I’m simply uninformed, but what exactly are you referring to?

I know you weren't asking me but I think this is what he's referring to:

Krejci said something in the past about it being difficult to get "up" for some regular season games and compared them to getting up for playoff games...
My worry is that sometimes in the past when he was leaned on too heavily to step up he tries to do too much (like open ice checking) and has gotten hurt. Actually, it's kinda good that he tries to stay even keeled and not play every shift as though it's game seven of the SC playoffs. If DK goes down to injury now they may as well clean house of whomever they can who isn't in their long term plans. Play out the rest of the season with an eye toward bringing up the kids and have a season long audition for next year and (as Dan DKH says) look toward their next Stanley Cup winning season of 2019-'20 (IIRC). Not saying to crash and burn and try to get the number 1 pick but keep the focus on the future. This happens to teams all the time "life is what happens when you're making other plans." Every situation is a learning experience. IMO if 2010 against the Flyers didn't happen maybe the Cup in 2011 wouldn't have happened.

Reactions: Mathews28

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
:nod:

Krejci said something in the past about it being difficult to get "up" for some regular season games and compared them to getting up for playoff games...
My worry is that sometimes in the past when he was leaned on too heavily to step up he tries to do too much (like open ice checking) and has gotten hurt. Actually, it's kinda good that he tries to stay even keeled and not play every shift as though it's game seven of the SC playoffs. If DK goes down to injury now they may as well clean house of whomever they can who isn't in their long term plans. Play out the rest of the season with an eye toward bringing up the kids and have a season long audition for next year and (as Dan DKH says) look toward their next Stanley Cup winning season of 2019-'20 (IIRC). Not saying to crash and burn and try to get the number 1 pick but keep the focus on the future. This happens to teams all the time "life is what happens when you're making other plans." Every situation is a learning experience. IMO if 2010 against the Flyers didn't happen maybe the Cup in 2011 wouldn't have happened.
I put in for Halloween off for the Red Sox parade last April and it was a joke in my office all season. I had no idea it was going to be the parade day or what the playoff schedule was. Just figured sounded good and it’s Halloween who wants to work that day.

When I eventually realized game 7 was Halloween and later on I had Hamilton tickets I was confident they win in 4-6 games.

Yes
1. I went to parade
2. I went to Hamilton
3. My coworkers/boss are taking the Bruins 2020 seriously

Reactions: Strafer

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I put in for Halloween off for the Red Sox parade last April and it was a joke in my office all season. I had no idea it was going to be the parade day or what the playoff schedule was. Just figured sounded good and it’s Halloween who wants to work that day.

When I eventually realized game 7 was Halloween and later on I had Hamilton tickets I was confident they win in 4-6 games.

Yes
1. I went to parade
2. I went to Hamilton
That’s impressive!

I can’t get 3 nfl games right a week to win a measly $25 on a proline ticket anymore lol

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut

IMO if 2010 against the Flyers didn't happen maybe the Cup in 2011 wouldn't have happened.

I hear what you're saying and I've seen it said before as well. I look at it quite differently....they had a shot to win it all in both 2010 and 2011 and that opportunity slipped away. 2011's win occurred despite the memory of 2010.

I also equate those 2 years to the '03 and '04 Sox in some respects. That 2003 Sox team SHOULD have made the World Series, but the tragic loss in game 7 of the ALCS happened. In my view, it didn't prepare them more for the 2004 playoffs; rather after winning in 2004 in improbable fashion, a look back says to me they coulda/shoulda been back to back champs.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That’s impressive!

I can’t get 3 nfl games right a week to win a measly $25 on a proline ticket anymore lol
I’m leading the HF fantasy football league as we’ll although Glorydaze is whining because overall he’s outscoring me

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I’m leading the HF fantasy football league as we’ll although Glorydaze is whining because overall he’s outscoring me
Ugh, started the year leading mine for the first month.

Then the injury parade started. I think I should be calling players to let them know I’ve picked them in the future. And that they won’t be playing a full year.

Like a professional courtesy or something.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Ugh, started the year leading mine for the first month.

Then the injury parade started. I think I should be calling players to let them know I’ve picked them in the future. And that they won’t be playing a full year.

Like a professional courtesy or something.

I lost Ajayi early and Olsen for awhile and McCoy has been useless

I owe it to Lou he keeps on me plus having Mahomes as my second QB didn’t hurt

Reactions: easton117

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I lost Ajayi early and Olsen for awhile and McCoy has been useless

I owe it to Lou he keeps on me plus having Mahomes as my second QB didn’t hurt
Those hurt!

You’d think having Kamara, Connor and Goff each week I’d be doing better.

But no. I’m a 3 man operation.

Much like my hockey team some nights I guess

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Those hurt!

You’d think having Kamara, Connor and Goff each week I’d be doing better.

But no. I’m a 3 man operation.

Much like my hockey team some nights I guess
That’s pretty good - I have very good WR
D Adams
S Diggs
R Woods

Elliott RB

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Yes
1. I went to parade
2. I went to Hamilton

Hmmmmmmmm, :)now if we can get Jordan't Furniture to believe and give B's fans a deal we're golden!!;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->