The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: With Patrice Bergeron out at least a month, how will the Bruins make up for his absence?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
All we can hope for is the team threads water until they can get everybody back and then a healthy second half and playoffs.

Short term they somehow have to stay even with Buffalo and Poutineville

When you have this many injuries it is fair game to look at the conditioning program the team has in place. I am not saying that is the issue but it is something they have to look at.

upload_2018-11-20_16-14-17.png

upload_2018-11-20_16-15-24.png

With Patrice Bergeron out at least a month, how will the...

Even when Bergeron was healthy, the Bruins were having trouble gaining traction. Their tires are at risk of additional slippage as the center heals his aching bones. Consider what will happen for at least the next dozen games:

1. One of the NHL’s best offensive lines is kaput. Bergeron and linemates Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak have combined for 17 five-on-five goals. The 23 other skaters that have played for the Bruins this season have scored a total of 18 five-on-five goals. For a time, the Bruins were worried they were too top-heavy. They’d like to have that problem now.

2. One of the NHL’s best defensive lines is kaput, too. Cassidy regularly used the Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak threesome against top trios: Gabriel Landeskog, Nathan MacKinnon, and Mikko Rantanen (Colorado); Jonathan Marchessault, William Karlsson, and Reilly Smith (Vegas); and Zach Hyman, John Tavares, and Mitch Marner (Toronto). Cassidy no longer has a go-to matchup line.

3. Marchand and Pastrnak are no longer linemates. Pastrnak rode with David Krejci and Anders Bjork in the Bruins’ 2-1 win over Arizona on Saturday. Marchand skated with Joakim Nordstrom and Jake DeBrusk. Marchand assisted on DeBrusk’s goal against Arizona. Pastrnak is 0-0—0 in the last two games.

4. Krejci will have to generate more offense. The former second-line center (two goals and 14 assists in 20 games) has been good this year despite, for a good stretch, having a bottom-six wing on his left (Nordstrom) and a natural left wing on his right (DeBrusk). It’s now likely that Krejci will draw the top defensive pairing every game.

5. Nordstrom, formerly Krejci’s left wing, is the No. 2 center. Nordstrom was already playing at least one line above his ideal position as the second-line left wing. Now he’s out of position as well as being higher than he should be. Nordstrom has won 37.9 percent of his faceoffs, an expected rate for a natural left wing.

6. The No. 1 power-play unit is diminished. Bergeron is arguably the best middle-of-the-ice bumper in the league. Bergeron excels at ripping one-timers and bumping pucks to other man-up options. Bergeron has 11 power-play points, second to Pastrnak’s 12. The key to Bergeron’s performance on the power play is quickness, whether it’s shooting, passing, or processing his surroundings. The Bruins will have to replace that quickness with David Backes, who operates at dialup pace compared to Bergeron’s broadband. Backes has just one point in 15 games.

7. Noel Acciari will have to kill more penalties. Cassidy tabbed Acciari as Marchand’s shorthanded partner in Bergeron’s place against the Coyotes. Acciari did well. The grinding forward logged a game-high 5:20 on the kill, including the game-ending stop with Matt Grzelcyk in the box. Bergeron has 32 career shorthanded points. Acciari has one.

8. The Bruins will start more shifts chasing the puck. Bergeron won 55.7 percent of his faceoffs. The others centers: Krejci (46.7), Nordstrom (37.9), Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson (39.3), and Sean Kuraly (50.0).

Reactions: Strafer and hrdpuk

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Lost me with the very first sentence: Even when Bergeron was healthy, the Bruins were having trouble gaining traction.

Huh? They were literally on pace for a 105 pt season when he went down.

Reactions: northeastern

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Lost me with the very first sentence: Even when Bergeron was healthy, the Bruins were having trouble gaining traction.

Huh? They were literally on pace for a 105 pt season when he went down.

They’ve been mostly in a WC spot or 3rd in the division, right? That’s how I take that and I don’t disagree. Their divison has been competitive right along side them so far, plenty of company in the nice point projections.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I just don't equate an 11-6-2 record with "having trouble gaining traction."

How other teams are doing is irrelevant in this case.

They’ve been mostly in a WC spot or 3rd in the division, right? That’s how I take that and I don’t disagree. Their divison has been competitive right along side them so far, plenty of company in the nice point projections.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
No stupid trades please. The big picture is winning the cup, and Sweeney is not Danny Ainge.

Let the kids play and see who is the hungriest.

Reactions: Strafer

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
It’s just a shame. Last year he was in Hart conversations and then he went down; maybe it would have been the same this year as he kept floating at or toward the top for points and also pk minutes.
I know he might not need them and I’m sure he puts the team performance ahead of anything else but hell he deserves it

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
Krejci is a great player, but he isn't one you lean on or expect to take over games. He has huge skill, and is an awesome and dangerous component to a team, but he is not THE guy. Asking him to step up just isn't the solution, IMO. He plays a skillful timing game, not high tempo. He isn't super fast, strong, or have a wicked shot. He is still awesome, but but he is a piece, and not someone who is going to suddenly put the team on his back, IMO... and that is okay. But, we do need something.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Krejci is a great player, but he isn't one you lean on or expect to take over games. He has huge skill, and is an awesome and dangerous component to a team, but he is not THE guy. Asking him to step up just isn't the solution, IMO. He plays a skillful timing game, not high tempo. He isn't super fast, strong, or have a wicked shot. He is still awesome, but but he is a piece, and not someone who is going to suddenly put the team on his back, IMO... and that is okay. But, we do need something.
You mean the guy who twice was the playoff scoring leader?:naughty: To be fair, that was six and eight years ago, and whether he can still be that guy is what we're going to find out over the next month.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Try to tread water until New Years. Maybe the WC spots won't be to far out of reach at that point. Scoring 5 on 5 is going to be even harder than it already was, PP is going to suffer, and the initial burst of energy and uplift from the new defensemen is going to wear off. Could be a rough time.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
You mean the guy who twice was the playoff scoring leader?:naughty: To be fair, that was six and eight years ago, and whether he can still be that guy is what we're going to find out over the next month.

I still don't think it is the same. Krejci makes players acround him better, and can put up a heck of a lot of points, for sure. I am a Krejci fan. I just don't think it is reasonable to expect him to suddenly start taking over the game. Krejci doesn't get better by turning up the intensity, necessarily, like a Marchy, Lucic, Pasta, Bergy, etc. Differently style. Just how I see it.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Try to tread water until New Years. Maybe the WC spots won't be to far out of reach at that point. Scoring 5 on 5 is going to be even harder than it already was, PP is going to suffer, and the initial burst of energy and uplift from the new defensemen is going to wear off. Could be a rough time.

It looks like around 14 more games over that 4 week spread. I think at this point going 7-7-0 would be the best result we can hope for. I sadly think this likely spells the end of our playoff hopes.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
I still don't think it is the same. Krejci makes players acround him better, and can put up a heck of a lot of points, for sure. I am a Krejci fan. I just don't think it is reasonable to expect him to suddenly start taking over the game. Krejci doesn't get better by turning up the intensity, necessarily, like a Marchy, Lucic, Pasta, Bergy, etc. Differently style. Just how I see it.
Are there no ways other than by upping the intensity? Matchups, pairings, etc. Find the right fits and it can happen in different ways. He's done it, and has always played the same style. I don't really have a strong opinion on whether he will or won't, but I know I've seen him do it.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Time to go all in on the guy that basically admitted he doesn’t care about the regular season. Oh joy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad