The Athletic - Boston Fluto: With 9 regulars ‘unfit to play,’ Bruins training camp not going as expected

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
With 9 regulars 'unfit to play,' Bruins training camp not...

Bruce Cassidy wanted to oversee a scrimmage Saturday. As he’s become accustomed to doing in this upside-down training camp, Cassidy had to adjust on the fly and ditch the scrimmage.

He had no choice.

Nine of his regulars were declared unfit to play: David Pastrnak, Ondrej Kase, David Krejci, Nick Ritchie, Charlie Coyle, Sean Kuraly, Chris Wagner, Torey Krug and Tuukka Rask.

Put another way, Cassidy was missing three of his four right wings, No. 2 center, entire third line, power-play quarterback and Vezina Trophy-nominated ace. It is unknown when any of the players will return to practice.

“We had no injuries to speak of,” Cassidy said. “Again, unfit to play. The league has asked us to continue along that line for the respect of the privacy of the players.”

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Yikes. I know it may not mean it’s covid related but not good if 9 players are out for what could be covid related problems. Not a good sign that the NHL or other sports can play through a pandemic.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
My guess is everyone's fine and these practice hold outs are a result of extreme precaution being taken. The round robin games essentially don't matter since any way it goes they're playing in the next round, so I'm not worried.

Especially with everybody coming from different places, there are going to be people exposed some way to someone that tested positive, and that will require sheltering to stop the spread. Once the teams get to the bubbles and shelter together this won't be a problem.

I live in NYC and have seen the worst of what this virus can do, and I'm confident the NHL's model will work and we will be seeing hockey soon. This rocky start of players having to quarantine was to be expected.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
My guess is everyone's fine and these practice hold outs are a result of extreme precaution being taken. The round robin games essentially don't matter since any way it goes they're playing in the next round, so I'm not worried.

Especially with everybody coming from different places, there are going to be people exposed some way to someone that tested positive, and that will require sheltering to stop the spread. Once the teams get to the bubbles and shelter together this won't be a problem.

I live in NYC and have seen the worst of what this virus can do, and I'm confident the NHL's model will work and we will be seeing hockey soon. This rocky start of players having to quarantine was to be expected.

I think your right. Though things aren't exactly working to perfection now, I'm guessing the reason for that is to assure it works well when it counts. We may limp into the the round robin in a little less than desirable shape but how much does that really matter? The 1st round is for seeding alone and in this case it has never mattered less considering no team will actually be playing at home or in front of their fans.

The 1st round, which for the Bruins is nothing more than a re-seed, maybe it's better if some of the key players sit it out. I mean , I have to think the 1st round is going to be an all out war with the top contenders looking to take out some of the key players. Perhaps, sitting out a few key guys , inserting a few bruisers, and turning the tables is the way to go. Granted you want your players in full stride but more importantly you want then there and able.

Reactions: sooshii

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Yikes. I know it may not mean it’s covid related but not good if 9 players are out for what could be covid related problems. Not a good sign that the NHL or other sports can play through a pandemic.
It has to be Covid related.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
It has to be Covid related.
it is. but they are being cautious. they were probably near someone that had it or near someone that may have it.
odds are they wont get sick and will be fine to play in a couple days. they peobably need a cpuple negative tests only because its a professiinal sport where they test daily

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I really hope there will be hockey, but im selfish.

In reality just shut it down and hope for a new start in October. Give the Bruins the first pick in the second round and revert back to the old system of order in the draft.

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
I would caution anyone saying the round Robin games don't matter. This is a new season period. 5 months makes a world of difference,.plus with so many unknown factors at play.

You need to get off to a good start and get some confidence in your game right from the get go.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
When is the team supposed to travel to Toronto and what's the quarantine protocol when they land? If players are "unfit" when the Bruins travel won't that compound the time they miss when they get to Toronto if they travel separately? You'd think there would be more time they're held back due to quarantining going back to a new country.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

In reality just shut it down and hope for a new start in October. Give the Bruins the first pick in the second round and revert back to the old system of order in the draft.

Totally agree. I refuse to call this the Stanley Cup Playoffs anymore.

....its the NHL Summer Hockey Tournament.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Totally agree. I refuse to call this the Stanley Cup Playoffs anymore.

....its the NHL Summer Hockey Tournament.

Anymore? If I recall correctly, you've railed on this format from day 1.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
When is the team supposed to travel to Toronto and what's the quarantine protocol when they land? If players are "unfit" when the Bruins travel won't that compound the time they miss when they get to Toronto if they travel separately? You'd think there would be more time they're held back due to quarantining going back to a new country.

I wonder if the Canadian teams will have an advantage since they are already here and our cases are very low. Has there been unfit players in Canada? I haven't heard anything on our news.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I wonder if the Canadian teams will have an advantage since they are already here and our cases are very low. Has there been unfit players in Canada? I haven't heard anything on our news.
I remember a couple Sens players were among the first to get it, and of course Matthews did but that's when he was in Arizona. I know it's a mandatory 2-week quarantine once you land in Canada, but I assume there will be some kind of workaround for that considering the first exhibition game is in 9 days and teams are still in the US.

Reactions: caz16

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I remember a couple Sens players were among the first to get it, and of course Matthews did but that's when he was in Arizona. I know it's a mandatory 2-week quarantine once you land in Canada, but I assume there will be some kind of workaround for that considering the first exhibition game is in 9 days and teams are still in the US.

I found this:
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-federal-government-approves-canada-hub-city-1.5619370

The exception to the traditional 14-day quarantine for anyone entering Canada is meant to remove a hurdle to the candidacy of Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver as "hub" cities if the league is able to return to play later this summer.

The cohort quarantine would keep players separate from the general public, rather than require players to isolate individually for the two-week period.
Freeland said the cohort quarantine would involve regular screening. It would be crucial that the directives of medical officers are closely followed, she added.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Playing a regular season in October will be way harder than this.

Reactions: talkinaway

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
Why aren't you crucifying the other Bruins deemed unfit to play? Or do you just have an agenda with Kase and Pasta?

Reactions: LSCII

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Why aren't you crucifying the other Bruins deemed unfit to play? Or do you just have an agenda with Kase and Pasta?
Because the other guys weren't running around the city taking photos with random people when they were supposed to be quarantining after coming back from overseas.

I would hope every player is taking this virus seriously and doing the right thing in order to play. If they decide to flaunt the rules, I don't want to see it blasted all over social media. Hell, I don't want to know about it.

If you can't see why this is an issue then you're the one with an agenda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->