The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: Why Bruce Cassidy is wary about changing a leaky power play

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Realistically how do you change things after 93 games :dunno:

Why Bruce Cassidy is wary about changing a leaky power play

upload_2019-5-3_16-46-55.png

upload_2019-5-3_16-48-0.png

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
There's no reason to change it. Guys just gotta be smarter with the puck. At the end of the day, the powerplay won the Leafs series and it's scored 3 goals in this series.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
There's no reason to change it. Guys just gotta be smarter with the puck. At the end of the day, the powerplay won the Leafs series and it's scored 3 goals in this series.

At this point I wouldn't fiddle with it, save switching out DP for DK.

DP is all the things we know he is -- when he's healthy. I don't believe he is.

DK, as Cassidy points out, is a calming, clever veteran player. He knows what he's doing and to my knowledge isn't hampered by (major) injury.

It will be interesting to see how DP plays in G5. If he's whiffing on the puck, etc., DK might step in.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
At this point I wouldn't fiddle with it, save switching out DP for DK.

DP is all the things we know he is -- when he's healthy. I don't believe he is.

DK, as Cassidy points out, is a calming, clever veteran player. He knows what he's doing and to my knowledge isn't hampered by (major) injury.

It will be interesting to see how DP plays in G5. If he's whiffing on the puck, etc., DK might step in.
That shot was a bomb. Don’t see much in the way of upper body injury with that release. Suggests His problem is between the ears. I think if you take pasta off and lose that cannon, defense improves but offense suffers.

Reactions: jangerhofer

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I think one of the issues is that they had so much success with two main strategies: one timers to Pastrnak at the elbow and Bergeron at the bumper. Teams figured out how to stop the Bergeron move part way through the year, and then Pastrnak hasn't been as good since he returned from injury. If one of those options isn't available, they have trouble scoring.

Basically, the powerplay has been lethal, but very predictable. I don't think they move the puck around in such a way as to get the penalty kill out of their structure, which is the best way to have success on the powerplay.

Of course, for this series, you could just point to the fact that Columbus was tied for the best penalty kill in the league, and leave it at that.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
That shot was a bomb. Don’t see much in the way of upper body injury with that release. Suggests His problem is between the ears. I think if you take pasta off and lose that cannon, defense improves but offense suffers.

Yes. But look at those "whiffs," leading to rushes the other way. There is something most definitely off in David's game.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing relative to same in G4. He's young, he's finesse, but I really don't believe he's fragile in the way many finesse players are. Look at his linemates; they lead by example, and DP surely understands that example.

He's injured. Thumb, hand, and psyche.

Whatever ills visit "between the ears," they likely originated in the thumb.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Bruins powerplay is one of the reasons why they are where they are right now. They don't get past Toronto without it. Short handed goals suck, but it's still a major net positive in the long run.

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Seems a few aren't agreeing with Cassidy's philosophy, and neither do I. It became laughable that they gave Columbus 4 pristine short-handed opportunities on 4 consecutive PP's...never seen anything like it in my 42 years as a B's fan. (Makes you miss the days of Bourque and Wesley on the point)

I don't believe the risk is worth the reward, but hey, I'm not Butch either

The B's powerplay as of late has turned me into trucker-type cuss machine...which at least helps keep my airways clear.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Seems a few aren't agreeing with Cassidy's philosophy, and neither do I. It became laughable that they gave Columbus 4 pristine short-handed opportunities on 4 consecutive PP's...never seen anything like it in my 42 years as a B's fan. (Makes you miss the days of Bourque and Wesley on the point)

The B's powerplay as of late has turned me into trucker-type cuss machine...which at least helps keep my airways clear.
Agree. We have forwards playing defense- makes no sense. Lead to a penalty shot when Marchand tried to chase Panarin down the ice and hooked him to try to prevent a goal.

To be fair, Julien started the four forwards one defenseman PP. Back then, Chara was able to stand in front of the net and be effective there. Krug gets knocked down, hacked and whacked, or jammed into a corner while one of our forwards is in a speed skating race trying to rescue the puck that always seems to end up on one of Columbus' guys stick, or one of their guys is right there ready to make a breakaway and gets to the puck first. It is maddening to watch.

Reactions: badbrewin

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
The only thing to be tweaked is the style. Right now it's become all perimeter play. Get someone in front of the net. One PP could have Coyle and one have Backes. Right now Bergeron cannot even get open for his one timer and Bobrovsky is never screened.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012

I miss the good old days of 0 PP goals in the Montreal series as well. And there we also gave up a SHG in game 7.

The Bruins score almost one PPG per game. They surrendered 1 SHG in those 11 games.
You do NOT change the powerplay.

I also do not see how having let's say McAvoy at the point should prevent Pastrnak or Marchand from stupid plays. Or Krug from fumbling the puck.

IMO, the only acceptable scenario in which you should run the PP conservatively is when you lead by at least 2 goals late in them game.
Otherwise I prefer high risk high reward on the PP over "let's make sure we don't give up any chances for the opponent".

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I don't like the trade off, either. "High risk, high reward"? No thanks. Either you're a solid defense first club, 360 degrees, or you're not.

If David is injured to the point where he can't handle the puck effectively, and has become a liability, he shouldn't play.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I agree with him. The PP is way better than it's ever been percentage-wise (for the regular season and playoffs) and I don't think it's a coincidence that it's due in large part to how aggressive they are. Pasta is a ticking time bomb at the moment, so he moved him off and put Krejci in. Top PP unit has had success with Krejci there too.

Reactions: RedeyeRocketeer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad