The Athletic - Boston FLUTO - The Bruins power play giveth — and it taketh away, at a league-worst rate

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The Bruins power play giveth — and it taketh away, at a...

upload_2019-1-4_11-7-39.png

upload_2019-1-4_11-11-20.png

Reactions: Absurdity

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
and yet Cassidy still insists on sticking Pasta up at the point. that's the real cause of all the shorties

forget that it hurts the PP in 2 ways. 1st it wastes Pasta, our deadliest shooter by putting him away from the scoring areas, and the 2nd way being he has shown to not be good at all at keeping the puck in at the blue line and is the source of most SH odd man rushes/goals they've allowed

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
For some reason (and this drives me nuts!) when the B's have a 5 on 3 they slow everything down to glacial movements. When you face aggressive PKs like Calgary and Carolina you're playing right into their hands by slowing everything down. They're way too deliberate on the 5 on 3. The other shorties are usually boneheaded plays by a guy on the blueline with either a bad pinch or a blocked shot (another huge pet peeve of mine)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
and yet Cassidy still insists on sticking Pasta up at the point. that's the real cause of all the shorties

forget that it hurts the PP in 2 ways. 1st it wastes Pasta, our deadliest shooter by putting him away from the scoring areas, and the 2nd way being he has shown to not be good at all at keeping the puck in at the blue line and is the source of most SH odd man rushes/goals they've allowed

Pasta had zero to do with that shorty last night. That was on Krejci. He sucked out there. 2 Brutal giveaways on the 5 on 3, that were egregiously bad.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
For some reason (and this drives me nuts!) when the B's have a 5 on 3 they slow everything down to glacial movements. When you face aggressive PKs like Calgary and Carolina you're playing right into their hands by slowing everything down. They're way too deliberate on the 5 on 3. The other shorties are usually boneheaded plays by a guy on the blueline with either a bad pinch or a blocked shot (another huge pet peeve of mine)
Their 5 on 3 is mind numbing lol.

It’s like they have no plan or defined shooter. If you told me their plan was to just not get scored on for the penalties duration I’d say ya. Makes sense!

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Pasta leads the league in power play scoring. If I had to guess why they've given up so many shorties, I would say its random variance more than anything else.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Pasta leads the league in power play scoring. If I had to guess why they've given up so many shorties, I would say its random variance more than anything else.

They used to use him above the circle and he was slamming pucks in with ease, now he's at the point for some reason. I guess they just expect him to run the thing, which I mean he's capable of, just more risky I think.

Reactions: Strafer

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Pasta had zero to do with that shorty last night. That was on Krejci. He sucked out there. 2 Brutal giveaways on the 5 on 3, that were egregiously bad.

you missed where he just stood in the crease and let calgary whack it in?? lol

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
They used to use him above the circle and he was slamming pucks in with ease, now he's at the point for some reason. I guess they just expect him to run the thing, which I mean he's capable of, just more risky I think.

It's a risk worth taking, since they are 27th in 5v5 scoring with only +4 goal differential. In contrast, their PP goal differential is +28 which is tied for 6th best in the league. They wouldn't be in a playoff spot without their powerplay, so while it's not perfect it's clearly working in the long run.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

The umbrella.That means one guy back and if any mistakes other guys are to low to help him.If pucks hop a guy on half wall cause of agressive penalty killer oposition is gone on a 2 on 1 as well.Lots of these shorthanded goal issues is on coaching.Yes players need to execute their plan but its a risky plan.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009

This. Exactly.

Can we forward this post to the TD Garden ?

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Why was the play even happening? It's not about the last second of the play but the entirety. And it went wrong way earlier than Pasta not clearing a puck.

I know. I was just messin with you.
Krejci and donato both made bad plays on that 5 on 3.

Reactions: LSCII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad