The Athletic - Boston Fluto: The 10 worst Bruins moments of the last 20 years

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
How about this season being paused; Bruins in first place overall, and now being left in limbo. Where does this fall?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That 2010 Philly game is No.1 for me. I seen it was on a replay on Sportsnet a couple nights back and immediately changed the channel.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
How about this season being paused; Bruins in first place overall, and now being left in limbo. Where does this fall?

I think that's TBD. If the season simply ends with no winner or we end up with some sort of bizarre playoffs structure and the Bruins get screwed and dumped early, then for sure it'll have to be up there as pretty damn bad. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Taking out all the horrific game 7 losses and 2013, the Boychuk dumping prior to 2014-15 had a major negative impact. Signaled the retool and 2 DNQs follow.

Losing Boychuk and the other factors that led to a couple of miserable years was hard going at the time, but I think there's a case to be made that the lean period forced a proper little rejig of the Bruins squad and the way they were doing business and made them a better team in the last 3 years than it otherwise might have been if they'd kept soldiering on in playoff spots right through the 2010s. Yes they've still fallen frustratingly short of the ultimate prize so far, but they might not have been so close and still remain in the hunt if not for the dip and what grew out of it.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
That game where Tuukka got the shits and Jonas Gustavsson got blown out by Ottawa to end our season 1 point out of the playoffs is an underratedly terrible moment in the last ten years.

Didn't we draft McAvoy that June after we missed the playoffs?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Quite honestly probably the worst list I’ve seen and probably the worst top 3.

Top 5 should be:

1) bruins losing cup to St. Louis
2) bruins losing to Chicago
3) philly coming back 3-0
4) losing to MTL 2014
5) bruins losing to MTL 2007

Marc savard getting knocked out by Cooke being number 1? We had no idea what the fate of the team would have been as it was still the regular season.

2) everyone was pretty happy for ray bourque, does it suck he won a cup with another team? Yes would have been nice to have him win one here, but everyone’s pumped he actually got one.

4) bruins trading joe Thornton...? I guess because fans liked him, but we’ve had a very good 15 year run post trade.

10) Thomas not going to the White House... how exactly was that a worst moment? How did it impact the team negatively. This just seems like a political butthurt part by fluto. Had no impact on the teams performance.

Because these are worst moments, I don't think future impact is being taken into consideration.

I know the Philly lose was the worst for me. Only time I ever went to a bar after a game.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The whole Tim Thomas thing in retrospect is funny. While I disagree with Thomas' political philosophy, I understand why someone wouldn't want to lend their image to a politician they don't support. Meeting teams at the Whitehouse is a photo-op designed to give President good publicity, but if you don't respect the politician, why would you do it?

The talking point of the day was, ' It's respect for the office, not the man!", and today, snubbing the president is celebrated.

Thomas wasn't the first or the last person to snub the president. He shouldn't have made a political statement, instead opting for what other athletes did and cite 'scheduling conflicts' or 'personal reasons'. The media blew it up and made it a bigger story than it needed to be, and the team suffered.

Sports leagues should avoid the political arena completely, stop meeting politicians, stop with the military worship, stop with the anthems, stop kneeling, and focus on giving me good entertainment.

But Thomas wasn't absent because he didn't support that particular president. He was protesting the federal government itself. Didn't he state later that he would not have gone no matter who was president?

Thomas wasn't being political, he was being radical.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Because these are worst moments, I don't think future impact is being taken into consideration.

I know the Philly lose was the worst for me. Only time I ever went to a bar after a game.

If fluto included zhamnov signing and Dave Lewis as one of the worst moments then it has to include future impact. Because simply signing them weren’t bad moments, just how their future tenure with the team ended and the impact or lack of impact they had, which defined the moment.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I have 17 seconds as worst than anything on Fluto’s list. 17 seconds was worse than last years game 7.

I don’t know. I expected the Bruins to win the St. Louis series. I didn’t expect the bruins to win the Chicago series. That Blackhawks team was LOADED.

Reactions: Wiggleboom

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If fluto included zhamnov signing and Dave Lewis as one of the worst moments then it has to include future impact. Because simply signing them weren’t bad moments, just how their future tenure with the team ended and the impact or lack of impact they had was that moment.

You are correct.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
If fluto included zhamnov signing and Dave Lewis as one of the worst moments then it has to include future impact. Because simply signing them weren’t bad moments, just how their future tenure with the team ended and the impact or lack of impact they had, which defined the moment.

I mean, yeah. It’s listing it as a bad moment in hindsight.

You can’t list a clusterf*** of a season as a bad “moment”.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Going for 10 not mentioned. In no order.

Jacobs getting control of the MBTA garage awful for fans that attend games.

Jacobs creating 2 lockouts.

The Kessel trade still makes me mad even if we picked the right team to get draft picks from.

Rask getting hurt so he couldn’t start in 2012 playoffs.

Being reliant on the PP last spring.

Season tickets doubling/tripling

Season ticket playoff pricing in the Loge rounds 2 and 3. Carolina game 1 would have cost me over 700 bucks way to punish someone who struggles to pay 250 for the 2 seats regular season.

Seidenberg missing the playoffs 2010 2012 and 2014

Backes signing

Tommy Cross playing in a playoff game

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
How about the Bruins, looking for scoring help, trading for who is now the 3rd leading goal scorer in NHL history, only to have him go scoreless in 22 straight playoff games?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
How about the Bruins, looking for scoring help, trading for who is now the 3rd leading goal scorer in NHL history, only to have him go scoreless in 22 straight playoff games?
Man, he was beyond pathetic. Probably his only impactful play that entire run (hook and steal on Bergeron's Game 3 OT winner vs. Pittsburgh) should have been called a penalty lol.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Thomas thing shouldn’t even be on this list

Disagree with savard hit being number one, while that might come off as insensitive I don’t mean it that way. It’s something that happened TO the bruins through no fault of their own and through it people displayed a lot of love and compassion for Marc, the league began a wave of protecting guys from bad hits (their effectiveness at that not withstanding) and the bruins ultimately decided they were done getting pushed around from there until they won the cup just over one season later

Disagree with loss to blues being so high on the list. The game itself wasn’t very reflective of the series in terms of scoreboard and the bruins did really well to not get knocked out by the leafs and then go on to handidly best Columbus and Carolina. Just didn’t have the mojo that one particular night and only god and those boys will ever know why

I’d put the loss to Philly a lot higher

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
2013 game 6...
17 seconds...

Has to be in the top 10
None of these are game moments though, so obviously Fluto was going after the non-game low points. Savard getting clocked was in game, but I think Fluto was aiming for the overall effect of his injury.

Because for game moments, that game 6 has gotta be top 2.

KingKrug47

May 21, 2019
03-04 was my first year watching

Losing to St.Louis in game 7 is an easy #1 worst for me.

Losing to Chicago wasn't the end of the world, it was the WAY we lost it that makes it on my list. We had no business being in that final in my opinion and despite all that happened I was really proud of that team despite the loss.

Other painful ones were losing to Philly in 2010, Losing to Montreal in 2004, and 2014

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
None of these are game moments though, so obviously Fluto was going after the non-game low points. Savard getting clocked was in game, but I think Fluto was aiming for the overall effect of his injury.

Because for game moments, that game 6 has gotta be top 2.

Fluto did include game moments tho. Losing to philly up 3-0 and losing to St. Louis in game 7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad