The Athletic - Boston Fluto: The 10 worst Bruins moments of the last 20 years

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I would order it a little differently but I think he hit most of the low spots - Losing Game 7 to Montreal twice in 2004 and 2014 should be there.

The 10 worst Bruins moments of the last 20 years

10. Tim Thomas declines to visit the White House (Jan. 23, 2012)

9. Dave Lewis’ hiring (June 29, 2006)

8. Squandering a 3-0 series lead against Philadelphia (May 14, 2010)

7. Signing Alexei Zhamnov (Aug. 3, 2005)

6. Trading Tyler Seguin (July 4, 2013)

5. Trading Joe Thornton (Nov. 30, 2005)

4. Losing Game 7 to St. Louis (June 12, 2019)

3. Randy Jones cross-checking Bergeron (Oct. 27, 2007)

2. Trading Ray Bourque (March 6, 2000)

1. Matt Cooke knocking out Marc Savard (March 7, 2010)

Reactions: Ladyfan

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, those seem like the big ones. The Thomas White House one is meh, and Lewis only really works in retrospect. I also didn't really mind the Seguin deal that much at the time. I thought Eriksson would be a WAY better fit than he ended up being.

I remember being so let down with the Zhamnov signing. I had so much optimism about both Forsberg and Modano before we settled for Plan C. I remember my cousin and I just sitting in front of the TV for hours on end with that crazy free agency period and feeling sooooo disappointed when they announced Zhamnov.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
How could Bourque trade be #2? Not that big of a deal, and bruins fans overall were very happy for the guy winning a Cup with Colorado.

Philly collapse should be higher, 2013 cup final should be on there, and the Zhamnov and Tim Thomas issues are not even close to being “worst moments”.

Fluto covering the Bruins is a worse bruins moment than many of these.

aguineapig

Sep. 11, 2001. We lost Ace. My favorite Bruin from the Big Bad Bruins. Larger than life, his laugh can still be heard in the locker rooms throughout the league. Loved and respected from his teammates which included Bobby and Gretzky, to the members of the Bull Gang. He had had a joke and a grin for everybody. RIP with Doakie and Pie.

Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Shouldn’t JJ buying the team be in the top 10?

images

Now, what was Dracula?

A vampire.

Reactions: BMC

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Quite honestly probably the worst list I’ve seen and probably the worst top 3.

Top 5 should be:

1) bruins losing cup to St. Louis
2) bruins losing to Chicago
3) philly coming back 3-0
4) losing to MTL 2014
5) bruins losing to MTL 2007

Marc savard getting knocked out by Cooke being number 1? We had no idea what the fate of the team would have been as it was still the regular season.

2) everyone was pretty happy for ray bourque, does it suck he won a cup with another team? Yes would have been nice to have him win one here, but everyone’s pumped he actually got one.

4) bruins trading joe Thornton...? I guess because fans liked him, but we’ve had a very good 15 year run post trade.

10) Thomas not going to the White House... how exactly was that a worst moment? How did it impact the team negatively. This just seems like a political butthurt part by fluto. Had no impact on the teams performance.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
We need the season to start back up. These fluto hit pieces are nothing but clickbait fodder. The unfortunate part is there’s absolutely nothing going on so I end up reading way too much of this stuff.

Used to like fluto, but I feel like he’s making Haggerty look bearable lately.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Quite honestly probably the worst list I’ve seen and probably the worst top 3.

Top 5 should be:

1) bruins losing cup to St. Louis
2) bruins losing to Chicago
3) philly coming back 3-0
4) losing to MTL 2014
5) bruins losing to MTL 2007

Marc savard getting knocked out by Cooke being number 1? We had no idea what the fate of the team would have been as it was still the regular season.

2) everyone was pretty happy for ray bourque, does it suck he won a cup with another team? Yes would have been nice to have him win one here, but everyone’s pumped he actually got one.

4) bruins trading joe Thornton...? I guess because fans liked him, but we’ve had a very good 15 year run post trade.

10) Thomas not going to the White House... how exactly was that a worst moment? How did it impact the team negatively. This just seems like a political butthurt part by fluto. Had no impact on the teams performance.
Cant disagree with your top 5...ugg

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
However you feel about it, the Tim Thomas thing has nothing to do with hockey.

No one would ever think about this if a couple of writers didn’t continue hanging on it nearly a decade later.

Did I think it was the right thing to do? No. But who cares.

I would love to hear Flutos explanation of this. It had zero impact roster wise to the team, didn’t make the bruins lose any games, there was no penalty from the league and no repercussions.

With that said if that’s Flutos #10 worst thing to happen then the Bruins are in amazing shape over the last two decades lmao

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Yeah, those seem like the big ones. The Thomas White House one is meh, and Lewis only really works in retrospect. I also didn't really mind the Seguin deal that much at the time. I thought Eriksson would be a WAY better fit than he ended up being.

I remember being so let down with the Zhamnov signing. I had so much optimism about both Forsberg and Modano before we settled for Plan C. I remember my cousin and I just sitting in front of the TV for hours on end with that crazy free agency period and feeling sooooo disappointed when they announced Zhamnov.

The roster positioning around the lockout was such a colosal failure. It couldn't have played out any worse. They held off signing players thinking the introduction of a cap would force teams to shed players to get under the cap and allow the Bruins to scoop them up.

Instead, the CBA provided for a 24% rollback, allowing teams to keep their players, forcing the Bruins to sign leftovers like Zhamnov.

Reactions: ThomasJ13 and BMC

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
The whole Tim Thomas thing in retrospect is funny. While I disagree with Thomas' political philosophy, I understand why someone wouldn't want to lend their image to a politician they don't support. Meeting teams at the Whitehouse is a photo-op designed to give President good publicity, but if you don't respect the politician, why would you do it?

The talking point of the day was, ' It's respect for the office, not the man!", and today, snubbing the president is celebrated.

Thomas wasn't the first or the last person to snub the president. He shouldn't have made a political statement, instead opting for what other athletes did and cite 'scheduling conflicts' or 'personal reasons'. The media blew it up and made it a bigger story than it needed to be, and the team suffered.

Sports leagues should avoid the political arena completely, stop meeting politicians, stop with the military worship, stop with the anthems, stop kneeling, and focus on giving me good entertainment.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I wonder where fluto has Tom Brady’s snubbing Obama and trump at White House visits on the worst thing to happen to the patriots the past 20 years

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The whole Tim Thomas thing in retrospect is funny. While I disagree with Thomas' political philosophy, I understand why someone wouldn't want to lend their image to a politician they don't support. Meeting teams at the Whitehouse is a photo-op designed to give President good publicity, but if you don't respect the politician, why would you do it?

The talking point of the day was, ' It's respect for the office, not the man!", and today, snubbing the president is celebrated.

Thomas wasn't the first or the last person to snub the president. He shouldn't have made a political statement, instead opting for what other athletes did and cite 'scheduling conflicts' or 'personal reasons'. The media blew it up and made it a bigger story than it needed to be, and the team suffered.

Sports leagues should avoid the political arena completely, stop meeting politicians, stop with the military worship, stop with the anthems, stop kneeling, and focus on giving me good entertainment.

Not sure if I’ll feel differently at a different time, but I really can’t not agree with this.

Sports are sports. They’re entrainment that has really nothing to do with politics or even country. Just let them be what they are. An entertaining and often emotional spectacle for fans.

Are moments like the national anthem after the Marathon bombing memorable? Absolutely. But that game would have had plenty of emotion and meaning regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad